Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bear baiting tools and tips

Is it just me or is the prices on dog food sky-rocketed? I don't own a dog but was checking the bags of dog food and they all seemed like over $30 a bag now! One spring I went through at least 6 or 7 bags. This year just might be popcorn or sweets.

Taco Bell is buying up all that good horse meat

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    I am willing to bet you get cleaned out ALOT. a 10'' hole is HUGE you might as well take the top of the barrel off. You dont want them putting their head in you want them to scoop it out with their paws and work for it.
    No I don't, I want to know if they are going to go P&Y or not. Look at my attachment in my first post. That's from this spring, 19 6/8. There was a bear that looked like this one's twin, but his head slipped in and out of the barrel. I would have passed this one up thinking it was the smaller bear but when he tried to put his head in the barrel, he had trouble, so I knew it was a bigger bear. In low light and with nothing to reference, its a no brainer measuring tool. Using that method(can't take credit for inventing it) we've taken 6 P&Y's 18 1/2 up to 20 7/8 in as many years.

I posted this a year or so back, but thought i'd share again... Our bait station was an old tire tossed over a stump - pretty simple setup. You can see it here just to the right of the center of the pic...

We (my wife and i) were able to visit the site every few days and we would stuff the inside of the tire with dog food mixed with molasses. It was hard for the bears to get at the food and it kept them on the site for up to 45 minutes at a time and they kept coming back.

The nice thing with this setup is that it is not hard to haul a tire in and clean up at the end of the season. One drawback is that it doesn't hold a lot of food so it's nice if you can visit your site every few days. This year i think we will stack up two tires to hold more food.

My wife took a nice 6' black bear off this setup - her first big game animal.
    English is an odd language. It can understood through tough thorough thought, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hughiam View Post
    No I don't, I want to know if they are going to go P&Y or not. Look at my attachment in my first post. That's from this spring, 19 6/8. There was a bear that looked like this one's twin, but his head slipped in and out of the barrel. I would have passed this one up thinking it was the smaller bear but when he tried to put his head in the barrel, he had trouble, so I knew it was a bigger bear. In low light and with nothing to reference, its a no brainer measuring tool. Using that method(can't take credit for inventing it) we've taken 6 P&Y's 18 1/2 up to 20 7/8 in as many years.

I see makes since I guess if you are worried about trophy books. At my station if its a black bear and not a cub its going in the freezer.

My brother loves bear meat, I worked as a taxidermist(still do) for so many years and had so many come in turning green, I can't even stand the smell of it cooking anymore. He gets the meat, I mount the bears, good compromise.

I see makes since I guess if you are worried about trophy books. At my station if its a black bear and not a cub its going in the freezer.
    Same here.

Same here!

If there's anyone in the Fairbanks area looking for cheap 35 or 55 gal barrels, go by arctic fire and safety. They sometime have dented/damaged barrels they sell for $10-$20. It's an easy cheap way to get barrels. Also once I get my Internet back on tomorrow, I will post a video that a guy posted where he uses oats and other stuff to make a sticky mixture. Part of what he uses is dried molasses, you can by that at the feed store on college road. I'm gonna try it out and use 5 gal buckets and see how it works.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    If there's anyone in the Fairbanks area looking for cheap 35 or 55 gal barrels, go by arctic fire and safety. They sometime have dented/damaged barrels they sell for $10-$20. It's an easy cheap way to get barrels. Also once I get my Internet back on tomorrow, I will post a video that a guy posted where he uses oats and other stuff to make a sticky mixture. Part of what he uses is dried molasses, you can by that at the feed store on college road. I'm gonna try it out and use 5 gal buckets and see how it works.
    i have been using the dry mollasis for years.. a 50 lb sack goes a long way, when mixed in with the grain and oil... typically a coffee can full in the 55 gallon drum to start.. and then a few cups in each bucket i carry to the baits
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Is it just me or is the prices on dog food sky-rocketed? I don't own a dog but was checking the bags of dog food and they all seemed like over $30 a bag now! One spring I went through at least 6 or 7 bags. This year just might be popcorn or sweets.
    ground barley or oats is ~$10 a 50lb bag
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i have been using the dry mollasis for years.. a 50 lb sack goes a long way, when mixed in with the grain and oil... typically a coffee can full in the 55 gallon drum to start.. and then a few cups in each bucket i carry to the baits
    What oil are you using?

sent from my igloo

here is the link i promised you all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hto9d9jY3MM

So I made my first popcorn ball. I used pumpkin marshmallows that I got cheap after thanksgiving. Added some anise and cinnamon and now I'm letting it sit. Not sure if I'm gonna hang it or what I'm gonna do with it yet, but one down, will try more later with different scents!

I keep telling my self all the things I'm going to do to get ready and then my wife reminds me its too early to set up yet ..... but my mind is in overdrive on getting ready .now need to find a good taxidermist in anchorage and talk with them.

I love this trick, a quart spray bottle full of watered down vanilla or anise, spray everything around and as high up an ya can hit with the spray on stream..then while setting in the tree stand spray a mist out every so often. works great...I love sugar coated pop corn spread in all directions and heck i love to eat it like i'm at the movies while traveling to the station...

So I have done 2 popcorn balls and they have turned out nicely. The first one (like I already said) is made with pumpkin marshmallows and cinnamon and some anise oil. The second try was pumpkin marshmallows peanut butter, and maple oil. They smell awesome and the first one hardened up nicely. I will be trying my hand at at least 2 more and will keep you all posted with my ingredients and how the bears like them.

I use 907baitem products in combination with some home made lollipops and such. Baitems products work really well. I do believe that the more scent you get out the more bears you will have coming in sooner, as long as the bears are in the area in the first place. I always buy a gallon of imitation vanilla extract and put it in a bottle with a tiny hole in the cap, hang it upside down in a couple trees as high as I can get them. The yo-yo's work good for throwing into the trees up high. The higher the scent the farther it will travel. I have heard of people throwing water ballons with different scents out of planes over there bait area with a high success rate. Let the balloon break in the tree tops.
    I am a popcorn fan due to the cost and weight. I pop it on location if it's not too dry out. I have packed it in contractor garbage bags but on occasion have left a trail due to snagging a hole in it.

My biggest tip of all though..... You have to have a game camera to see what is coming and when. Hands down best gadget for baiting
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

image.jpg
    First attempt at oatmixture

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    image.jpg
    First attempt at oatmixture
    J, if you use the ROLLED or Ground, oat//barley vs.. Whole grian, you will find the bears actually eat more of it, and are able to digest it better.. it also breaks down faster.. and is typicllly the same cost..

meet on face book here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast