Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear baiting tools and tips

Default Bear baiting tools and tips

With the bear baiting season right around the corner, I have been on the look for some more tips and tricks to help new baiters out. Bait 'em 907 is a great way for new comers to get great products and stay in Alaska for them. Not ever one can afford to pay for there products and this is what I'm trying to say. I am looking for tips and tricks that are cheap, easy, and useful. I have some of mine and I will share those as well. A couple years ago a made a homemade bear lollipop. It was quite simple and it was basically homemade candy that I put on a chain. I am always looking for new tricks and tools to help me harvest a bear and to bring more in. So any one wanna share there "secrets" and help others harvest a bear this season??? Below is a recipe for homemade lollipops.

http://candy.about.com/od/sugarcandy/r/lollypops.htm
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Great Idea and your right it is just around the corner.
    One thing that I used to do when I could get the old 35mm film containers was to take Koolaid packets and dump them in the canisters and poke small holes all around the bottom of the canister and hook them to a single string. Hang them up all around the bait site to small higher limbs so the wind could swirl the scent around the area. I always have been successful at getting a site hit but not so on being there to make the harvest. (that part was my fault!) Last year was my first year using a game camera and what a difference.
    Sometimes I would place cotton balls in the canisters and soak them with Anise or Vanilla flavoring. This would stink up the woods pretty good too. I have learned over the years that you can have the best bait in the world but if your not advertising it properly then you get no business. The film canisters are getting hard to come by now so time to impervise.

46 days till bait drop time here in the interior.
    I'm getting excited...
    I'm starting to smell popcorn.
    Steve

What is your opinion for baiting... Popcorn or dog food? Pro/con for both?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Wildwood_Hunter View Post
    What is your opinion for baiting... Popcorn or dog food? Pro/con for both?
    Popcorn, way cheaper than dog food as well as way lighter than dog food.

Like Frostbitten stated above and for the same reasons.
    Plus you can flavor your popcorn by using old cooking grease and the smell is there without the massive cleanup otherwise associated with using grease. Or you can dump powdered sugar and other flavorings on it to help draw blackies by the sweet smells.
    Dogfood will work if your not limited by weight.
    A possible con for popcorn is you will be going through massive amounts of popcorn once they hit your sight so all your spare time is spent popping corn for the next rebait trip. Start popping now.
    Steve

Blueberry burns!:

1.Take a metal container that wont melt.
    2. Fill 1/4 way with water and about 1/4-1/2 with frozen blueberries
    3. Heat with blowtorch until boiling

It will smell like you are baking a blueberry pie and boiling berries for jam all at the same time. Jcorwin can attest to this he was with me in my stand when I did it last year we weren't out 30 minutes and had bears coming in the other time I did it I had a bear come in 9 minutes but botched the shot. . It is cheap and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Blueberry burns!:

It will smell like you are baking a blueberry pie and boiling berries for jam all at the same time. Jcorwin can attest to this he was with me in my stand when I did it last year we weren't out 30 minutes and had bears coming in the other time I did it I had a bear come in 9 minutes but botched the shot. . It is cheap and easy.
    It is awesome for sure! It was fun to learn and to see how well it works. I will be doing the same thing this year.

I just bought whole oats at cold spot feeds and I was wondering if anyone on here uses oats and if so do you mix them with anything and if so with what? I saw a you tube video of a guy from Michigan, but he didnt explain what he used, so I am just wondering what everyone uses as a mix?
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Blueberry burns!:

Great idea! thanks

Here is one thing I have used that works great. Can be used with Honey, Kool Aid, Berries Etc...
    I have both used tea candles and sterno. Don't add to much or it will overflow.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Hey Steve, where do you find empty paint cans? Everything I find these days are plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Hey Steve, where do you find empty paint cans? Everything I find these days are plastic.
    I bought these at the paint counter at Lowes, they are used to mix custom paint.
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Here is one thing I have used that works great. Can be used with Honey, Kool Aid, Berries Etc...
    I have both used tea candles and sterno. Don't add to much or it will overflow.

Hey that's a very lightweight, self contained, disposable idea! Great post. I've burnt honey before and always hated lugging all my stuff to do it with.
    On a different note, has anyone heard of just cracking a propane bottle open before? My best friend went on a guided trip in Alberta a few years back and that was part of the secret bait. The guide would turn on propane without lighting it. He claimed that bears love that smell.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    I bought these at the paint counter at Lowes, they are used to mix custom paint.
    Right on, thanks man!!

Quote Originally Posted by fishcatcher541 View Post
    Hey that's a very lightweight, self contained, disposable idea! Great post. I've burnt honey before and always hated lugging all my stuff to do it with.
    On a different note, has anyone heard of just cracking a propane bottle open before? My best friend went on a guided trip in Alberta a few years back and that was part of the secret bait. The guide would turn on propane without lighting it. He claimed that bears love that smell.
    It is not the propane, but the additive they put in to make it stink. This is a safety feature so people can smell a leak. I know a guy that used to use the additive to bait with and he said that it worked awesome.
    Founding Member

Another prep is once your stand is up to really look for shooting lanes and cut or move trees and brush so you can see clearly and watch the bear if it runs

I made one of the Bear Suckers that I found on another web sight and it worked great. My bait keeps getting cleaned out which I think is from having my barrel hole too large, but the bear kept coming back for the sucker. It is a hard candy sucker that is made in a heavy metal pail formed around a chain and hung where they can lick on it. Fun to watch. The other thing that seemed to work good was a spray bottle with vanilla extract and I sprayed it up in the trees for scent. I came back the following weekend in PWS and even after all the rain that place gets I could still smell it while rowing to shore.

thisis my bear lollipops I use them to hold the bears and they spend a lot of time with them not chewing them up but licking them. I put 5-6 out and refresh as needed I put them low enough on a strong branch that they just lay down and enjoy them.
    I dont put scent in them .
    I use a snare that I bend the snare so that the eye hole that you would normally run wire to makes a kinda #8 that gets in the mix as it cools and then the snare end T put on a low tree limb I have never had them try to pull one off and run they just lay down and lick it
    even browns.
    The recipe I do in my garage on my coleman stove.

Medim high heat

16 cups sugar
    1 16oz corn syrup
    3 cups water
    3 packages of cherry koolaide generic walmart
    handful of black sunflower seeds you probably dont need them but I do it anyway.

I oil the inside of the silcone breads pans to make pulling them off easier.

mix all the ingredients together and start cooking stirring ocasionally, when it gets to 305 degrees it will be what is called hard crack pour it into your prepared bread pans and then let it get hard i put them in my freezer to get them to cool down quicker then use them as you need them throughout the season
    I will make 20-30of them I have had them last a day up to a week
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by blackbear View Post
    thisis my bear lollipops I use them to hold the bears and they spend a lot of time with them not chewing them up but licking them. I put 5-6 out and refresh as needed I put them low enough on a strong branch that they just lay down and enjoy them.
    I dont put scent in them .
    I use a snare that I bend the snare so that the eye hole that you would normally run wire to makes a kinda #8 that gets in the mix as it cools and then the snare end T put on a low tree limb I have never had them try to pull one off and run they just lay down and lick it
    even browns.
    The recipe I do in my garage on my coleman stove.

Medim high heat

16 cups sugar
    1 16oz corn syrup
    3 cups water
    3 packages of cherry koolaide generic walmart
    handful of black sunflower seeds you probably dont need them but I do it anyway.

I oil the inside of the silcone breads pans to make pulling them off easier.

mix all the ingredients together and start cooking stirring ocasionally, when it gets to 305 degrees it will be what is called hard crack pour it into your prepared bread pans and then let it get hard i put them in my freezer to get them to cool down quicker then use them as you need them throughout the season
    I will make 20-30of them I have had them last a day up to a week
    Thanks for sharing..

I plan on trying this out!

Dog Food(0ld Rex I think its called) is cheap and easy to haul. Cut a hole in the side of the barrel 10" in diameter 2/3 of the way up the barrel. An 18" bear's head will pop right in and out of a 10" hole. A 19" will push his head in with some effort. A 20" will have to pull his head in by grabbing the barrel. A 21 will reach in with his paws. Chain the barrel to the tree so that it pivots a bit or a big bear will rip the chain through the side of the barrel(saw it happen).

Used grease is a good idea if you can get it to pour on the dog food. But powered jello is the ticket. Sprinkle a couple boxes inside the barrel on top of the dog food. You can throw it in the air as well and it leaves a long lasting scent bomb. Its cheap and easy.

HughAttachment 68794

Quote Originally Posted by Hughiam View Post
    Dog Food(0ld Rex I think its called) is cheap and easy to haul. Cut a hole in the side of the barrel 10" in diameter 2/3 of the way up the barrel. An 18" bear's head will pop right in and out of a 10" hole. A 19" will push his head in with some effort. A 20" will have to pull his head in by grabbing the barrel. A 21 will reach in with his paws. Chain the barrel to the tree so that it pivots a bit or a big bear will rip the chain through the side of the barrel(saw it happen).

Used grease is a good idea if you can get it to pour on the dog food. But powered jello is the ticket. Sprinkle a couple boxes inside the barrel on top of the dog food. You can throw it in the air as well and it leaves a long lasting scent bomb. Its cheap and easy.

HughAttachment 68794
    I am willing to bet you get cleaned out ALOT. a 10'' hole is HUGE you might as well take the top of the barrel off. You dont want them putting their head in you want them to scoop it out with their paws and work for it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast