View Poll Results: Take out the shoulders?

Voters
145. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always aim at the shoulders!

18 12.41%
  • I always aim at the "pocket"

95 65.52%
  • Depends on range.

15 10.34%
  • Only on bears! Take them out, stop them from running!

17 11.72%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shot placement

Default Shot placement

I have been hearing a commen theme, thwarting to break the shoulders out of an animal. Now I'm curious how many try and break the shoulder bones out of a kill? And what animals if you aim different.

Quote Originally Posted by mooneyman View Post
    I have been hearing a commen theme, thwarting to break the shoulders out of an animal. Now I'm curious how many try and break the shoulder bones out of a kill? And what animals if you aim different.
    Bad shoulder shot doesn't kill em... Double Lung always kills em... Kill em on the first shot then worry bout knocking them down...

I always aim for the vitals. Nothing can survive a double lung, or heart shot.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Shoulder shots rip up a lot of meat. Maybe bears and sheep/goats would require that sort of shot, if you want them down where they stand.

I've seen a bull moose survive two neck shots from a .300 mag at close range...for two days. I've seen a mule deer run like a rabbit on two front stumps... (not my kills)....aim fer them vitals
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Right through the lungs does the trick. Nothing goes far with no lungs. I typically hunt wide open tundra so a critter isn't really gonna run far enough to really get away before it expires. Most go down within a few feet of where they're hit.

I eat the shoulders, I wouldn't want to shoot them up.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Lungs. Always.

The only shoulder shot I would take is a Billy in terrain you have to anchor or a big brown.I put two .300 rum in the front shoulder of my brown bear last year,He rolled and landed on his feet running both hits and took cover in a brush patch.After 30 minutes buddy's walked in on him and charged.The next day we skinned him both shoulder sockets were destroyed can't belive he could move with the damage!Got me thinking a double lung shot on the first shot and he would have been dead in there not causing the hair raiseing experience for my hunting partners.

Depends on the range.
    I've mostly done head and neck shots, as most shooting/stabbing is up close, but at range, the lungs offer a better target.

last week, The wife double lung'd a Fat Female Caribou (you'll all see it soon enough) at 200 yards with her Mosin and it still walked another 75 yrds before sitting down, I walked up and took it by an antler and applied the stroke of Coup De Gra, insetring behind the ear and pushing down and through, gaind her nose and twisted, popping the neck, and then an easy up stroke andI tossed the head aside.......and even with its head completely cut off, She tryed to rise on her feet,(!!!!!!@#$%^&*!!!!????) something I've never seen before!!.......I thought the double lung shot was bad enough, lovely fist sized exit hole, but 'headless' went to show nothing was gonna kill that animal quick!!

Still, placemnet is EVERYTHING and only Accurate Rifles are interesting.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    n, and even with its head completely cut off, tryed to rise on its feet,(!!!!!!@#$%^&*!!!!????) something I've never seen before!!.......
    Talk about a freak out! Did I read that right?

That needs it's own thread.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have heard (from an old old guide) to "break the shoulders down" on large bears. I believe that this stems from poor bullet technology. Back in the day (as late as the 80s??) you had bullets that would not penetrate deeply enough on big bears to gaurentee a clean kill. With the advent of modern bonded bullets and "A" frame bullets the larger target that is lethal is the lungs.

Maybe the myth of break the shoulders could have come from a charging bear. With "old" bullet technology hitting the head on a chargin bear is tough... and with the thickness of the skull... it is a dicey deal any way. Maybe the idea of break a bear down came from charging? If you miss the head the shoulders should be close... but i have yet to be charged.... My vote is scream like a girl, and pull the trigger until the sucker quits coming!!!

So has anyone else observed this though of "break the shoulders down" and where/how it came from?

Quote Originally Posted by Spookum View Post
    So has anyone else observed this though of "break the shoulders down" and where/how it came from?

I first heard it years ago in the East about deer....thought was to anchor the deer so you don't cross the ridge and find another hunter with his tag hanging on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spookum View Post
    I have heard (from an old old guide) to "break the shoulders down" on large bears. I believe that this stems from poor bullet technology. Back in the day (as late as the 80s??) you had bullets that would not penetrate deeply enough on big bears to gaurentee a clean kill. With the advent of modern bonded bullets and "A" frame bullets the larger target that is lethal is the lungs.

Maybe the myth of break the shoulders could have come from a charging bear. With "old" bullet technology hitting the head on a chargin bear is tough... and with the thickness of the skull... it is a dicey deal any way. Maybe the idea of break a bear down came from charging? If you miss the head the shoulders should be close... but i have yet to be charged.... My vote is scream like a girl, and pull the trigger until the sucker quits coming!!!

Not sure where it came from but heard it similar... On bears especially charges hitting big bone can be very effective in shocking the system enough to knock em down and/or kill em but the trick is to hit the right spot and having a big bullet with enough umph to do it . On a charge I prefer one shoulder and a bullet going stem to stern taking out a bunch of stuff or no shoulder and stem to stern with a hip bone or something..... Back in the day I used to have hunters take the break em down shoulder shot but watched too many try to run off in the brush with broken shoulders... At least with a lung/ vital it's just a boring waiting game vs a hair raising game of smoke em out..

We were told to bust the shoulders while hunting in Africa. It stops them quick, but ruins meat.
    I always go for lungs.

sent from my igloo

Glad to hear all of you say it, I was raised on deer and elk and was always taught to take out the lungs. Talking with some up here seems many "new" hunters think its best to take out the shoulders. Even had a guy tell me that we would go on google to check and see who was right!

I shot many a Brown and Black Bears with ammo made in the 50's...FMJs "Alaskan Solids" are often shot through the head completely or tumbled on through a body , blowing bones into pices with a fist sized exit gole a gushin'. A hole through the Heart or brian usually makes me very happy, but the Brain and central nervous system are the "Dead right there" targets of most all Mammles, thats Bear's, too.

As to getting them to stop....well, breakin a leg didnt do it nearly as well as shooting them in the guts. That will stop them, Caribou, Otter, you name it, it works.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

With moose, it depends on how close they are to water. I do not want a moose on dry ground walking off into the water so if they are near water I will put a hole through both scapula if possible. If no water near then a heart lung tears up less meat and I don't mind if they walk a ways before going down. A double lung will kill anything but it may not be fast enough to prevent an in the water skinning job.

where the animal is when shot is taken has as much if not more input than "always heart/lung". If road hunting the closer to the truck the better. The closer to a good DRY cleaning spot of ground the better.

I perfer on moose now a high forward lung shot, aiming to hit the far leg bone/shoulder.

And Always willing to spend the ammo to keep shooting till on the ground.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post

I eat the shoulders, I wouldn't want to shoot them up.
    Me Too, I'm meat hunting,....and that's a lot of good meat there,...
    interesting to see the results of this poll
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default Double Lung

Here is my preference for shot placement. Haven't heard the term 'pocket'...what area is that? (Kangaroos excluded!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast