Thread: Best option for shipping/prices

Default Best option for shipping/prices

After a couple months we are finally getting some checks in the mail to fix my boat. Looking at spending 3 to 4k worth of stuff (electronics etc...).

I am having a bit of trouble finding someone who ships here reasonably. The ones that do have outrageous pricing.

Who are your goto stores for buying boat stuff online?

You might look at Hodges Marine or First Choice Marine. I bought a radio and gps from Hodges. They insisted on UPS shipping but their price was way lower than everyone else...at least in that instance. Another thing you can do if you find a good price is call instead of relying on the online shipping info...I've had vendors cut me some slack due to a phone call. Might also check out Amazon. They carry lots of electronics...often with free shipping. Its a lot like fishing.

Another vote for Amazon. Super fast and cheap (sometimes free) shipping and they have just about everything you can need nowadays.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

careful with online stuff. Sometimes its cheaper to buy locally. For instance Im looking at a fish finder and the model I want is 30 dollars more online than it is in sportsman's.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

west marine has price matched in the past. check out anchor express for prices. print there price and try west marine

Quote Originally Posted by Trappnguns View Post
    After a couple months we are finally getting some checks in the mail to fix my boat. Looking at spending 3 to 4k worth of stuff (electronics etc...).

I am having a bit of trouble finding someone who ships here reasonably. The ones that do have outrageous pricing.

Who are your goto stores for buying boat stuff online?
    Shoot me a pm of what your looking for and the lowest price you've found. We maybe able to beat the price.

It has been my experience when using UPS for shipping, the price gets much better when the ship to address is a business address, rather than a home address. Used to be their policy, not sure if that is still the case, but that is the way I still ship with them.
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away."

I just used West Marine's price matching program for some fenders and saved a bunch of money from their marked price but they are ending the program at the end of this month (February). They do require you bring in a print out from the vendor you want to match but you only have tomorrow to do it!

I know that you know that it's either flight or ferry for you. I think that your best resource is still going to be a subject matter expert that is local to your area.
    The best person to ask would be user: Kingfisherktn. He's a moderator on this board.
    He lives in Ketchikan and I am certain that he knows how to expedite items being sent to your area with less hassle and trouble.

I can tell you that there is a barge that does come through. It leaves Seattle every Tuesday and Friday. There are two and their circle back and forth stopping at certain areas along the coast including Ketchikan.

Let us know what you come up with. I'd be interested to find out what the outcome is.

Hope that helps.
    Lurker.

Well, I have to say Anchor express has the best prices on about 95% of everything they carry. I go to the checkout so I can see what their shipping might be and it says "We are unable to ship one or more items to this location." I plug in my Father in laws address in Washington state, and the shipping is $10.99 standard, or $29.99 overnight.

No west Marine, no Sportsman, no one even carries the stuff I want to get, Amazon will be my goto for some of the stuff I need, just not the lowrance stuff. There is a barge that comes through, but anytime I have ever had anything shipped by it, it takes an extra 3 weeks to a couple months to get here. Especially that stupid "smart post" UPS does... My job doesn't give me the luxury of waiting for stuff...

Pretty sure I will overnight it to my Father in laws, and have him send it priority. It will still be cheaper and faster than fedex, UPS or freight forwarding.

To live on an island....

Trap...Sent you a PM

Well, I finally dropped some money. I guess we aren't supposed to talk bad about a company, but... Just the facts.

I placed an order with the people with the best price. They charged the card, then emailed me to say there was an issue. I called back with no answer so I left a message. 5 hours later they call and say there is an issue with shipping to Wa and my billing address is in AK. Then they said half the stuff was not in stock. I asked them to cancel and they say they already did. Couple hours later there are two charges for the same amount on the card... What a headache

After that was straightened we called up Boe marine. No issues there only about $150 more (out of over $2500) and USPS priority shipping for $78.

I would have just bought locally, but no one had what I wanted. Gonna reach out on the forum next time.

BOE has always been really good to me and used to ship free to Alaska for orders over $400 but looks like that changed recently. At least they're able to use USPS which a lot of outfits refuse to do (must be some sole source supply deal they have with UPS or Fedex). Anyway, this topic has come up several times in the past and a lot of folks use freight forwarders in Seattle to get the free shipping to there at least. Shiptoalaska.com is one, I haven't used them but the situation always presents itself when shopping for stuff.

In the 4 or 5 years up here, I have never had to use freight forwarding. I can normally get stuff in a decent amount of time at a decent price. I am going to look into that though. Priority mail is the best thing up here hands down. I use Fedex to ship stuff out overnight because I get a decent discount, but the majority of stuff gets sent out or in via priority.

Check into carlile express. I had them bring up a set of dumbells from the lower 48 for $33. Thats pretty hard to beat if you have large freight or if vendors wont ship to AK. Carlile express receives material in WA. Takes about a week or less