Thread: discharging a firearm

Default discharging a firearm

i searched and could not find what i was looking for on ketchikan.
    What are the laws reguarding dischaging a firearm. All ive found for other areas wereas long as will not endanger persons, animals, or property. The real question is can i set up a small .22 plinking range in my back yard if i cannot see houses on either side of me, and there is at least 100-150 yard of thick woods,hills, rock before it would even get close to a road way. Is this legal, and id obviously get consent from my neighboors on either side of me

Quote Originally Posted by badfish888 View Post
    i searched and could not find what i was looking for on ketchikan.
    What are the laws reguarding dischaging a firearm. All ive found for other areas wereas long as will not endanger persons, animals, or property. The real question is can i set up a small .22 plinking range in my back yard if i cannot see houses on either side of me, and there is at least 100-150 yard of thick woods,hills, rock before it would even get close to a road way. Is this legal, and id obviously get consent from my neighboors on either side of me
    Rather than rely on information from us who will mostly be only able to give you our own interpretation of regulations we may or may not know very well at all, I would strongly suggest you contact whoever is the law enforcement entity where you are located. If there is no local "police", call the State Troopers. They will be the ones enforcing any laws if someone thinks you are in the wrong, so best to get their interpretation from them directly.

If it is legal, I would suggest you don't count "woods" as part of your backstop. I would got with dirt/gravel as the only thing that constitues a competant backstop.

discharging a firearm in city limits no go. outside city limits ok. not many neighborhoods where it would be a good idea. best to find a rock pit, wont be hard to find one

Be careful not to get carried away with being in Alaska. Compared to the east coast area where you are now imprisoned, Alaska will seem like you died and went to heaven. BUT, those of us who have always lived here ( except for when Uncle Sam sent me to hell on the east coast ) still have our boundaries and limitations.

When I started Law Dawging after my active duty stint, I ran across several Coast Guard folks who managed to get themselves into trouble with shooting regs and hunting regs. Usually because they believed the BS from another guy on their Cutter or from a local character..

Like the two new guys on a 110 footer out of Petersburg AK, who were convinced that protected swans were really white geese. So they shot two of them and drove to the Fish and Game troopers house to ask how to cook them.

I put internet advice in the same category.

In Alaska you might get away with shooting your wife, but if you shoot a moose or goose out of season (or in the wrong spot) you are going to get nailed to the cross...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

If you are moving to Ketchikan, call the Chamber of Commerce and get a moving package. Also, start looking at Ketchikan city regs. There are ranges, you won't have a problem finding somewhere to shoot. Prepare for the wet. Ketchikan one of the rainest places on Earth, no kidding.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Where are you moving to in Ketchikan that you cant see other houses? Last time I was there they were pretty much stacked on top of each other! Not what I would call suitable for plinking in the back yard.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak Bird Brain View Post
    Where are you moving to in Ketchikan that you cant see other houses? Last time I was there they were pretty much stacked on top of each other! Not what I would call suitable for plinking in the back yard.
    I'm south of the coast guard base. I'm not near the town