Thread: Choosing your GMU's carefully!

Default Choosing your GMU's carefully!

This time of year I always get a number of excited hunting groups that pulled the Moose tag that they always have wanted and are hopeful that I can pull a hunt together for them right now. I laugh (to myself) when this happens because so few do their homework and just don't understand that pulling all of the pieces together is really a 9-12 month project, hell just finding a transporter in Febuary is very tough!

Well, last weekend A guy called me from down in the lower 48 and he pulled a Moose tag for one of out sub-units in 23 and started to do the research on what he put in for and now he realizes that that unit has a success rate of about 23% for bulls over 50 inches or 4 brow tines. He did not research where he was putting in for, only that he wanted to hunt out of Kotz. When he realized what it was going to cost and how low the % were for that area ...well lets just say he was looking for other options!

Moral of this story is do the research into an area way ahead of time, ask questions, contact guys like Mike and ask questions, use the forum member as a source of info and be careful what you wish for because sometimes you get exactly what you ask for!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Float Hunts and Drop Camps-Unit 23
    www.northwestalaska.net
    Attached Images Attached Images

LOL....Tourist

So is 23% bad for unguided, non-residents, assuming 23% came from the stats on that particular drawing tag? That stat doesn't tell the whole story either.. What if some of the hunters passed up on 55" bulls, looking for 60" + bulls? Or, it's been warm during the season, etc.. I'd say that almost a 1 in 4 chance of killing a 50"+ moose for a non-res is pretty good, expecially if the hunter as a clue!

What would that hunt cost him Walt?

I guess he doesn't know that moose hunting is nothing like whitetails........then again, I hunted whitetails for years and years and never took an animal as close to mature as a 50 inch/ 4 brow bull is for the species.......in that case one in four is fantastic odds.

Luckily my moose luck is better Stupid deer.

Anyone know what the statewide success ratio is. Seem to recall reading somewhere that you mere mortal residents are in the 20% or so range?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Just looked at Walt's webpage. A hunt planning service, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    This time of year I always get a number of excited hunting groups that pulled the Moose tag that they always have wanted and are hopeful that I can pull a hunt together for them right now. I laugh (to myself) when this happens because so few do their homework and just don't understand that pulling all of the pieces together is really a 9-12 month project, hell just finding a transporter in Febuary is very tough!

Well, last weekend A guy called me from down in the lower 48 and he pulled a Moose tag for one of out sub-units in 23 and started to do the research on what he put in for and now he realizes that that unit has a success rate of about 23% for bulls over 50 inches or 4 brow tines. He did not research where he was putting in for, only that he wanted to hunt out of Kotz. When he realized what it was going to cost and how low the % were for that area ...well lets just say he was looking for other options!

Moral of this story is do the research into an area way ahead of time, ask questions, contact guys like Mike and ask questions, use the forum member as a source of info and be careful what you wish for because sometimes you get exactly what you ask for!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Float Hunts and Drop Camps-Unit 23
    www.northwestalaska.net
    Fortunately you're not talking to a lot of lower 48ers.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I know where I hunt it's 14%. I ran into 4 guys from Colorado last year just getting started, and they told me this plan they had where they'd kill two by a certain day, then get meat to this point, then float a bit further and kill the other two bulls. I didn't want to rain on their parade, but I did exchange phone numbers so they could tell me all about it.. I never heard from them.. pretty sure they didn't kill 4 bulls...lol In fact if I could I would have bet my house.

Quote Originally Posted by anchorrivercrowds View Post
    I know where I hunt it's 14%. I ran into 4 guys from Colorado last year just getting started, and they told me this plan they had where they'd kill two by a certain day, then get meat to this point, then float a bit further and kill the other two bulls. I didn't want to rain on their parade, but I did exchange phone numbers so they could tell me all about it.. I never heard from them.. pretty sure they didn't kill 4 bulls...lol In fact if I could I would have bet my house.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

If Eric is starting up in Kotz he should be available to book with. Don't know which sub unit your guys permit was for, but there is some GOOD moose hunting in 23. Some of the Nome guys with planes like hunting 23. Buckland R., Tag R., upper Selawik. Kobuk R has some good moose areas too. Hear and read some pretty BIG moose stories off the Noatak as well.
    Yea, research the area before you apply. But I wouldn't turn my nose up at any unit 23 permit.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I pick where I live by GMU and love staying in my own backyard.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you