Thread: How do I get dent out of kayak (not open style kayak)..

Default How do I get dent out of kayak (not open style kayak)..

I got two Freedom Hawk kayaks the wife and I bought last year for fly fishing the salt water shallows. Very unique kayaks that have handles you pull to deploy two outriggers, basically making the kayak a Y shape for stability when standing, poling, etc.. We also bought a kayak trailer to carry the boats with, doubled as kayak storage (big mistake) this past year.

We used them once and then found out she was pregnant. All of a sudden, anything fun, in the sun, outdoors, requiring any physical exertion, etc... was out. Long story short, I got a 4 month old son and a big dent in each of my boats. Problem is, these boats are not open type kayaks, they are sit on tops. I can't get access to the other side of the dent or I would just heat them up and push down.

Curious if anyone had any bright ideas. Time to get these boats down to the coast for some red drum fishing. Thanks for any ideas.

-Dan

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Congrats on the new little fisherman! We are expecting our new little canoeing dude in April. If you guys travel up this summer/fall we could trade babysitting! As for the kayaks, heating it up may still work. Roto-molded hulls maintain memory and just need a little help to revert back to their original shape. Is it a good enough size to possibly to apply a suction cup/plunger to help pull out the dent? Good luck!

Thanks guys (and gals), the hot water and a suction cup sounds like a plan. Will get some beer and get started

Hope to see you in Sept Cristan. Carrie and I will be on the Upper Kenai if you should be around.

A heat gun may do the trick Dan.
    As Cristan said they have a memory and may pop right out.

A heat lamp seen it work on plastic bumpers very mild heat and time. and suction device or if you can put a deflated ball in a opening and inflate it. Neat stable kayak design never seen one before.

Default kayaks in salt?

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    I got two Freedom Hawk kayaks ... Thanks for any ideas.
    No ideas about the repair, but another idea you might like thinking about.

There's a guy on the KP that guides halibut fishing from SOT kayaks (probably without the stabilizing wings you've got on yours - very cool btw); I think he's in Seward summers, and down in Mexico each winter with the same kayaks, but going for Marlin. He told me a story once of being pulled multiple miles before landing a marlin.

Just something to think about during the winter months...... kayak fishing in Seward or Homer in the Summer for halibut. Leave that 10 at home and bring a small one to dispatch a monster if you're lucky enough to engage one; you don't have a lot of "deck space".

Maybe you want to charter with the guy first just to get the lay of the land; he'd probably go cheaper if you had your own boats I bet. Fun stuff? I'm thinking about fun canoe stuff myself, but when I saw the picture of your cool kayaks with stabilizer wings I just started thinking.

Halibut from a yak sounds great. But you know how us out of staters are. We would be the ones that get tipped over by a whale or get in the way of a cruise ship and get ran over. CNN footnote waiting to happen. ha ha..

Neat idea about inflating a ball. Got a feeling some heat (hot water or hair dryer) and a suction cup like Hippie suggested will do the trick. Found a small suction cup (single version of what is linked) for $7 at Lowes. Might get a 12 pack and give it a try on my upcoming days off.

Familyman, check out the Gheenoe. Made in Florida, the 16 Super and now (new) 18 Super are interesting canoe. Folks are putting 40 HP motors on the 16' and up to 90 HP on the 18'. Square stern, right up your alley. However, the fiberglass may be more suited to my waters than yours. Interesting boats though and they run in 4-6", viable flats saltwater boats for fly fishing to redfish (red drum). 50,000+ sold of this boat 40 years in the making. Carrie and I are looking to buy a boat and this is one of the few options we are looking at. Will likely get an 18' Alumacraft welded jon boat with 40 hp tiller. It is the redneck way, just can't beat a jon boat down here.

-Dan

Default Gheenoe

Halibut from a yak sounds great. But you know how us out of staters are. We would be the ones that get tipped over by a whale or get in the way of a cruise ship and get ran over. CNN footnote waiting to happen. ha ha..
    You bet. Make sure to remember to give the camera a soundbite containing "Hey ya'all, watch this!", so that CNN can insert that footage just ahead of the scene you describe.

Familyman, check out the Gheenoe. Made in Florida, the 16 Super and now (new) 18 Super are interesting canoe. Folks are putting 40 HP motors on the 16' and up to 90 HP on the 18'. Square stern, right up your alley. However, the fiberglass may be more suited to my waters than yours. Interesting boats though and they run in 4-6", viable flats saltwater boats for fly fishing to redfish (red drum). 50,000+ sold of this boat 40 years in the making. Carrie and I are looking to buy a boat and this is one of the few options we are looking at. Will likely get an 18' Alumacraft welded jon boat with 40 hp tiller. It is the redneck way, just can't beat a jon boat down here.

-Dan
    Holy Moly, that is one cool boat. I couldn't tell how they're able to strap on so many horses though.

That boat is so cool that if it had a bit more freeboard, I'd be all over it myself. But I get in some pretty good chop sometimes... You just haven't lived until you've bucked 4 foot oncoming waves in a canoe that is in the air 1/3 or so of the time.

If you go through with buying one of those please post up some pics - but consider the canoe forum - those canoe guys would go nuts over that Gheenoe. Thanks for the heads up on it.

I just forwarded you an email I got from Gheenoe about their 18 footer. There are not any pics on the internet yet, they are kind of making these on a custom, one by one basis. Feel free to post the pics on the canoe forum if interested. The Gheenoes are legendary in the south east. Florida up to the Carolinas, out to Louisiana. I am going to see one in person soon, local dealer is a few hours up the road.

-Dan

Thumbs up VERY nice new (larger) Gheenoe

I just forwarded you an email I got from Gheenoe about their 18 footer. There are not any pics on the internet yet, they are kind of making these on a custom, one by one basis. Feel free to post the pics on the canoe forum if interested. The Gheenoes are legendary in the south east. Florida up to the Carolinas, out to Louisiana. I am going to see one in person soon, local dealer is a few hours up the road.
    -Dan
    Very nice design and pricepoint. I think maybe I know how they managed the big (60-70 hp) engine rating: That extra tall transom coupled with a 5 foot wide transom provides a lot of stability. The payload is still light though; at only 800 pounds once you get two guys, a little gas & beer loaded, you're there. I think if they'd have carried that transom height all the way to the bow they'd have an only slightly heavier yet far hardier craft.

Contrast that with my Scott Albany, which is slightly longer (19'), with a 2 foot wide transom, 4+ feet of beam, an engine rating of 9hp (I run 15hp 4 stroke), and a payload of 1500 pounds (I carry 2,000 sometimes). My Albany has more freeboard except at the stern where the Gheenoe's transom gets very tall compare to the rest of the boat. You might think the Gheenoe would be far more stable than the Albany, but I can gunnel-walk my canoe (on the water) from stem to stern and no-tip; ask any Scott-guy and they'll tell you the same; its spooky how stable they are.

Not posting pictures, because they didn't come through high enough quality. For such a cool boat as that new larger Gheenoe is, I sure don't want to be the one responsible for posting low res pics of it online (especially since the mfgr hasn't yet); it appears to be way too cool a boat for that if you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    No ideas about the repair, but another idea you might like thinking about.

There's a guy on the KP that guides halibut fishing from SOT kayaks (probably without the stabilizing wings you've got on yours - very cool btw); I think he's in Seward summers, and down in Mexico each winter with the same kayaks, but going for Marlin. He told me a story once of being pulled multiple miles before landing a marlin.

Just something to think about during the winter months...... kayak fishing in Seward or Homer in the Summer for halibut. Leave that 10 at home and bring a small one to dispatch a monster if you're lucky enough to engage one; you don't have a lot of "deck space".

Maybe you want to charter with the guy first just to get the lay of the land; he'd probably go cheaper if you had your own boats I bet. Fun stuff? I'm thinking about fun canoe stuff myself, but when I saw the picture of your cool kayaks with stabilizer wings I just started thinking.
    The guy out of Seward is Chris Mautino from liquid adventures. Great guy!! Highly recommend.

Did you get the dent out? Sometimes hot water in the hull is enough heat and weight. If your kayak is sealed fairly well I know people who tape up major holes (rudder lines, hatches, etc) and heat the area with hot water or heat gun. Then they shoot compressed air in through the drain plug if your kayak has one.

The sit on tops make GREAT fishing platforms. I'm starting a website if you are interested. It's personal pages. I'm not a guide.

Sorry this post is late. Haven't been by since they split fresh from saltwater kayaking.

http://AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After some thought, I'm going to say don't use a heat gun. Hot water poured over the spot or into the hull if you can get it to the spot. Too much margin for error with a heat gun. Heating pad or maybe even a hair dryer might be enough.

I would use a heat gun. I would put about 3-5 psi in the hull and lightly swing the heat gun back and forth over the dent. Don't use the heat gun any more than you have to. This is a slow gradual process.