Thread: food and gear for a 3 day fishing trip?

Default food and gear for a 3 day fishing trip?

Me and a buddy are flying out to sucker lake tomorrow for a few days of hitting the pike on sucker lake. I didn't really know about it till today so my Im getting a brain cramp on what food to bring. we were thinking ramen, hot dogs and trail mix, and eat a bunch of fish. I don't want to spend much money nor do I want stuff that is hard to cook over a fire. any other ideas? maybe some powdered taters and a chunk of sausage?

Also, here is our gear list. we are both bringing about the same stuff

Survival gear
    firstaid kit
    bunny boots
    overalls, sweatshirt coat
    extra socks pair of pants and long underwear
    wiggys sleeping bag
    small tent
    tarp
    fishing buckets and auger
    SPOT
    22 mag
    food
    medium size estwing axe
    rope
    matches lighters fire starters stashed all over.
    anything else?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Cooking oil.. Fish fry breading.. Stove.. Pan.. Saw.. Fillet knife.. Lantern, flashlite, headlamp..

I feel a great meal in camp gives a very safe and content feeling overall. Personally I would bring some egg beaters with those pre-cooked breakfast meats/veggies. Grab a couple moose or bou steaks outta the freezer for dinner and a pack or two of frozen veggies and some aluminum foil to cook the veggies in.. some butter n seasonings. None that I've mentioned are especially hard to cook. 15 min n chow time! Treat yourself to a soda pop or choc milk!

Hot dogs n ramen? Blechk! lol

Post pics/story upon your return too

Good luck!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Good call iceman. FFG, I don't see a camera on that list!

I agree with iceman. Take some food you can enjoy. It's fun to cook and take a break from the weather and even the fishing. Have a contest with your buddy and see who comes up with the best meal. Hotdogs and Ramen!?!? Come on FF&G. Meat and potatoes are the way to go. You can cook both in a pot, a pan or tinfoil. Snickers bars are cheap and always good to tide you over if you get the munchies. Hope you knock em dead. Be sure to post w/pics.
    Ed

don't plan on fish you might not catch one , fish around the lake near the MTS where it connests to the other lakes is a good place to start

I dont see what the big problem with hot dogs and ramen is haha $1:50 for a package of 8 jumbos and 8 bucks for a box of 20 ramen dont seem to bad to me! Im gonna bring some breakfast sausage. and I got some powdered taters along with a couple of some from our garden. we got head lamps and flash lights and of course my camera! I got butter and a pan and small pot we got a bunch of aluminum foil too, and some old bay and johonnies and garlic salt. Oh and I got herring for bait and some leaders and some of those 2 hook moosing rigs or what ever they are

And the best part is, I am at the house of the friend Im going with (tundra2) and his dad who is flying us out and he came home from work with a quikfish3 for us! we set it up and that thing is sweet! so were gonna use that instead of a tent we will just move it out from over hte ice hole at night
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

and we got pads t sleep on and we got a few home made sternos

might want to add some fishing gear/tackle to the list Otherwise, it's just a camping trip!!
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    I dont see what the big problem with hot dogs and ramen is haha $1:50 for a package of 8 jumbos and 8 bucks for a box of 20 ramen dont seem to bad to me!
    I know I'll sound like an ol' fart here but........nutritional content! Or lack thereof...

Gahhhhh I'm not an ol' fart...... I'm really not!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

If you're planning on a fire at least bring a hand saw like a bow saw or a pull saw. I prefer the pull saw, as it cuts fast, stays sharp and is more compact than a bow saw. Also safer than an axe.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Man View Post
    might want to add some fishing gear/tackle to the list Otherwise, it's just a camping trip!!
    haHa yeah I was pulling some money out of my wallet earlier today and I noticed a "2012" on my fishing license. had to take care of that

??????????
    I didnt see any beer on there
    ( maybe its in the survival kit)

Take some big ass herring with you! Go get a big one and post pics.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    Me and a buddy are flying out to sucker lake tomorrow for a few days of hitting the pike on sucker lake. I didn't really know about it till today so my Im getting a brain cramp on what food to bring. we were thinking ramen, hot dogs and trail mix, and eat a bunch of fish. I don't want to spend much money nor do I want stuff that is hard to cook over a fire. any other ideas? maybe some powdered taters and a chunk of sausage?

Also, here is our gear list. we are both bringing about the same stuff

Survival gear
    firstaid kit
    bunny boots
    overalls, sweatshirt coat
    extra socks pair of pants and long underwear
    wiggys sleeping bag
    small tent
    tarp
    fishing buckets and auger
    SPOT
    22 mag
    food
    medium size estwing axe
    rope
    matches lighters fire starters stashed all over.
    anything else?
    You may want a tarp to sleep on inside the QF3, a GPS, and a backpack-style water filter. Be careful to not let the water filter freeze.

Take lots of photos, and please give us a full report here!

Quote Originally Posted by jbswasilla View Post
    ??????????
    I didnt see any beer on there
    ( maybe its in the survival kit)
    Well Im only 17 and my buddy is 14....

ok
    Have fun and be safe