Thread: Free dead moose!

Default Free dead moose!

This isn't my ad.. Just passing it along..

http://fairbanks.craigslist.org/zip/3645115328.html
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

I am on it!

Not me but a fellow trapper I know already has dibs on it. He is picking it up tonight. Heard it was quite the messy stinky fiasco getting it cut up for transport.

Quote Originally Posted by bairdi View Post
    Not me but a fellow trapper I know already has dibs on it. He is picking it up tonight. Heard it was quite the messy stinky fiasco getting it cut up for transport.
    Seems that it'd be froze stiff...?

I'm assuming we're talking about the same moose....There always seems to be few that drop dead in people's yards this time of year. That was my first thought as well that it would have been frozen solid, but apparently, while it appeared to be frozen stiff, the microbes in the abdominal cavity were still working away creating some serious stink factor. When the guy drug it out to his driveway and went to cut it up it "deflated" and in the process gave him a stinky goo shower. I was told it made quite the mess. I'm sure the neighborhood dogs and every raven within miles have all found it by now. All that cause he was just trying to help the fellow coming to take it away for him. He told the guy I know to wear rain gear when you come to get it. Of course I'm hearing this all 2nd or 3rd hand so it will be interesting to hear a more accurate version of the events. Makes me feel a little vomitous just thinking about get doused by deflating bloated moose carcass. It should make a nice addition to his bait pile though. Wish I could have gotten it for my piles which are looking pretty well picked over this late in the season.

Any idea on why the meat was never salvaged before it got to the point of being inedible? What a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Any idea on why the meat was never salvaged before it got to the point of being inedible? What a waste.
    Unknown cause of death...

Generally when a moose dies of natural causes the meat is deemed not edible.

It's just too risky.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    A dead animal alongside the road...pretty good odds it lost a battle with a vehicle, and if fresh is fair game. A random dead animal in a yard begs the question "Now just why did that thing die?" and raises all kinds of possibilities. I much prefer to consume things that I have a pretty good indication of why or how they died. As far as mystery dead things go, yeah, they could be good, but you go first. And after they are at the stinking stage, they are all yours.