Thread: shipping fuel

Default shipping fuel

Drew a moose tag in 820.Wondering if anyone has shipped fuel into galena.Just wondering if it is cost effective to ship fuel or just buy in galena.Have been there two times before and fuel is usually double what is here .Any info would be appreciated.

Don't believe I've read of anyone doing that. Just the price you pay making that run. With rates averaging $.75 a #, not even cost effective.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Curious what type of fuel your talking about? And how much? 55 gal of diesel might, you would have to look into it closer.

i left the bridge with 220 gals last year. if you can haul it, thats the way to go, as i only bought about 70gals on the river. with alot of boats, it isnt cost effective to do this tho...burn to much to haul the load. all depends on what setup you have.. also, ruby is almost always cheaper..last year galena did not have a hose to the beach

Ruby and Tanana is always cheaper that Galena and I haveheard that itís cheaper if you can get it in town instead of on the river. Ihave done this trip 4 times and always try and buy min at Galena because theyknow that they are the last stop for a long trip. They will bump the price up towards the endof the late season as well. I knew a fewguys that were hauling there fuel up in the summer on trips to Galena for theirhunts in Sept but I am not sure they were really saving that much money. If you know someone in Galena that will buythe fuel and haul it to the river for you U may get it a bit cheaper but thatwould have to be a pretty good friend.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I am using a transporter out of galena.So i will be flying into galena.What i was wondering if i could get fuel barged into galena prior to the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoor1 View Post
    I am using a transporter out of galena.So i will be flying into galena.What i was wondering if i could get fuel barged into galena prior to the hunt.
    What kind of fuel??
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

I run into this question every year with my hunting groups. I switched over to the small propane tanks (5 pounds) vs the throw away Coleman propane thinking that I could save my clients some $ over the $15 per 1 pound price in Kotz. Well long story short the Cargo Haulers charged me the $25 has mat fee per tank coming and going and I took that in the pants last year. I thought they would hit me with a single Haz-Mat fee for the bunch but not the case.

So I am thinking it may be better to ship up the smaller propanes and only get hit one time and bring no tank back. The crappy thing is a 5 pounder is perfect for a 7-9 day hunt and no trash.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Drop Camps & Float Hunts
    Kotz
    www.northwestalaska.net
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by outdoor1 View Post
    Barging would not be cost effective. Im curiois as why you want to barge fuel when using a transporter?? Flying into galena you are limited. If you are using one of transporters boats, your stuck with fuel in galena. But if im thinkin of the transporter your talking bout..he has his own fuel tank..

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    Ruby and Tanana is always cheaper that Galena and I haveheard that itís cheaper if you can get it in town instead of on the river. Ihave done this trip 4 times and always try and buy min at Galena because theyknow that they are the last stop for a long trip. They will bump the price up towards the endof the late season as well. I knew a fewguys that were hauling there fuel up in the summer on trips to Galena for theirhunts in Sept but I am not sure they were really saving that much money. If you know someone in Galena that will buythe fuel and haul it to the river for you U may get it a bit cheaper but thatwould have to be a pretty good friend.
    Way cheaper to buy in town..once again if you can haul it. My 20' alweld handles 250-275 gals + gear just fine.
    The whole trip..everything..costed me 2000 thats split two ways..not to shabby for a trophy moose hunt. I bought half my fuel in spring
    Thinking it was gonna go up in summer..which ended up goin down..so it prolly could be cheaper