Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Show me your wall tents."

Default "Show me your wall tents."

Said on another sub-forum that I was going to post a thread like this...
    OK, so I'm old school. I like wool and wood and canvas and other old fashioned gear. I understand why people like the new, light, cool stuff, but that will never be me. Wall tents typify the old Alaska to me, though my son thinks putting one up is a PITA.

Here's a few pictures of some wall tent camping. Show me yours if you have any. Vintage stuff is good too.Attachment 68586Attachment 68587

Where do you buy a tent like that? I had to sell my old one as it was just too big. Old military surplus one with enough poles to require a log truck to get it anywhere....if you don't mind me asking, what does something in that size range cost?

Sayak I'm with you .... Nothing says Alaska like the ole wall tent camp... Have to look around for some old pics...

Quote Originally Posted by seacowboy View Post
    Where do you buy a tent like that? I had to sell my old one as it was just too big. Old military surplus one with enough poles to require a log truck to get it anywhere....if you don't mind me asking, what does something in that size range cost?
    You can get them new at ATT, but I got this one almost new (had a hole for stove pipe) on CL for about $300. If you watch, you can find them there easy enough. Mine heats well with my little "kicker can" stove.

Yeah I can't find any decent pics in my files either; a shame cause it's a real palace: platform, water barrel, fridge/freezer, queen size bed, permanent stove, range/oven, dining table, etc.....14'x20' IIRC
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Yeah I can't find any decent pics in my files either; a shame cause it's a real palace: platform, water barrel, fridge/freezer, queen size bed, permanent stove, range/oven, dining table, etc.....14'x20' IIRC
    Woah! Dat big! I've been thinking of a permanent tent frame in my back yard for overflow summer guests. My wife and I stayed in one for two summers of set netting when we were newly married. Not too bad, really.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Woah! Dat big! I've been thinking of a permanent tent frame in my back yard for overflow summer guests. My wife and I stayed in one for two summers of set netting when we were newly married. Not too bad, really.
    Yeah my pop usually spends the entire moose season out there, plus up to a couple weeks on either end; the little comforts are definitely appreciated!
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Ohhhhhh I can't wait til Moose Camp!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    Ohhhhhh I can't wait til Moose Camp!
    Who needs a tent fly, right? I'm assuming the big stove pipe thingie is for an outdoor stove.

Who needs a tent fly, right? I'm assuming the big stove pipe thingie is for an outdoor stove.
    Yup it is. When things get cold and rainy it's nice to be under the tarp with the barrel stove a kickin'.

I borrowed a wall tent a few years back and have decided as I get older that it's the only way to hunt. 41301_1180731694388_7089935_n.jpg61088_1180731814391_654781_n.jpg
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabliss View Post
    I borrowed a wall tent a few years back and have decided as I get older that it's the only way to hunt. 41301_1180731694388_7089935_n.jpg61088_1180731814391_654781_n.jpg
    Amen to that. I'll leave the ruffin' it to the younger bucks, (though I did enjoy one night of "siwash camping" with my youngest last spring). I not only use a wall tent with a stove these days, I use a cot!

I've looked at these; no wood or canvas, but the price is good, and sounds comfy. Just wouldn't want to have to move it too often!http://store.aihalaska.com/index.php...ducts_id=34352

Check them out at the Kenai store. They look like a good system, but yeah, you'd need to be by a good trail, road or river. Price is right.

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    I've looked at these; no wood or canvas, but the price is good, and sounds comfy. Just wouldn't want to have to move it too often!http://store.aihalaska.com/index.php...ducts_id=34352
    Wow sounds very comfy! Funny that it says... Shipping Weight: 179lbs Pick-up Only

Wouldn't be too bad for a once a year haul into moose camp though.

“Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post

That is a comfy looking camp. Arctic Ovens (pardon me if I am way off the mark here)? How long does it take to set up/take down? I see you cook in the tent; any problems?

That is a comfy looking camp. Arctic Ovens (pardon me if I am way off the mark here)? How long does it take to set up/take down? I see you cook in the tent; any problems?
    Spot on the mark, Steve. Yes, Arctic Ovens. I can set the 10'x20' up, solo, in under 15 minutes, about 10 minutes for the 10'x10', double it if the wind is blowing, but still very easily accomplished (take down time is about the same).

I've had no issues, besides sweating like mad in July, cooking in them, and usually I'm cooking for 7-12 people each time. They vent extremely well, and I used the 10'x20' last Winter in Thompson Pass for 8 days. With the woodstove and a duraflame log, it was easily 75* in there at all times. They truly are the best tent I've ever used.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    I've had no issues, besides sweating like mad in July, cooking in them, and usually I'm cooking for 7-12 people each time. They vent extremely well, and I used the 10'x20' last Winter in Thompson Pass for 8 days. With the woodstove and a duraflame log, it was easily 75* in there at all times. They truly are the best tent I've ever used.
    Bear problems was my angle on that one (cooking in a tent) I do it too, but man, you can sure catch some flack from folks. Bear fence?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast