Thread: Ruger M77 Hawkeye vs. Savage 116

Default Ruger M77 Hawkeye vs. Savage 116

After searching through old threads on the forum, it seems there hasn't been much input in the last year or so on either of these specific guns. I've decided my next gun will be one of them, in .300WM matched with a Zeiss scope. I have friends that swear by one and others who swear by the other. It seems the draw of the Savage is out-of-the-box accuracy. The draw of the Ruger seems to be ruggedness and durability.

Most of the past threads involved the older Savages before they fixed the accutrigger problems.

Any advice? Got a goat tag this year...

Quote Originally Posted by h20fowler View Post
    After searching through old threads on the forum, it seems there hasn't been much input in the last year or so on either of these specific guns. I've decided my next gun will be one of them, in .300WM matched with a Zeiss scope. I have friends that swear by one and others who swear by the other. It seems the draw of the Savage is out-of-the-box accuracy. The draw of the Ruger seems to be ruggedness and durability.

Most of the past threads involved the older Savages before they fixed the accutrigger problems.

Any advice? Got a goat tag this year...
    Well, my Savage is hands down the most accurate gun I've ever owned, including my Ruger M77. Have had no problems with durability.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

What were the problems with the older accutriggers, and when did they fix them?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    What were the problems with the older accutriggers, and when did they fix them?
    Im not sure exactly. I was told there were issues with it and also issues with the original Accustock, but both were fixed in 2011.

I was walking into a bear bait with a savage 116 when the round part that the firing pin goes through broke in 2 pieces. I know all brands are subject to breakage but that made me not like savage.

Anyone hear of any issues with the Hawkeye? I almost bought one 2 days ago. I have 2 M77s that have been through a lot. They started rough but slicked up with use, and have always been reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by 30/06 View Post
    Anyone hear of any issues with the Hawkeye? I almost bought one 2 days ago. I have 2 M77s that have been through a lot. They started rough but slicked up with use, and have always been reliable.
    I have a friend that has used his M77 as a walking stick while crossing rivers. It also saved his life in an avalanche.

I went with the savage 116 in 300WSM about 3 months ago. So far I have put 50 rds through it and I like it. Dead accurate and I like the way it feels. Ruger has always made a great product but I personally like having the accutrigger and accustock.

I've bought 2 Ruger Hawkeye's m77 last year, a 243 and a 338rcm.
    Both stainless.
    Both feed poorly out of the box. The extractor was too tight on both. I lightened them up and they feed fine now.
    I also removed the gray coating on the bolt, and polished up the internals. A little smoother but nothing to brag about.
    Also glass bedded both stocks.
    The 243 will shoot a 9 shot 5/8"group with 100gr corelocks @100yds.
    The 338rcm shoots cloverleafs @100yds. And sometimes 1 ragged hole.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

For a goat hunt I wouldn't take the risk of missing the shot or having my rifle fail so I would spend the money upfront on a good rifle by going with a Christensen Arms rifle. One of them should go nicely under a Zeiss

http://www.christensenarms.com/

Love my Hawkeye. Pickes it up in 2007 in ketchikan, chambered in 300WM. It's done all my killing from goats to bears and deer. I use it as a walking stick, river crossing stick, I've dropped it, soaked it in saltwater many times and it hasn't given me any issues. Mine for some reason doesn't like hgh dollar ammo, Fusions and Core Lokts it loves and shoots great. It's a bit on the heavy side, but for that reason it kicks less than my friends .308 Tika.

Ended up ordering the Savage. Accutrigger and safety were the deciding factors after comparing the two side by side at the store. Not to mention the Savage is a little lighter too.

I'm a Ruger guy myself. I've never even handled one of those Savage rifles. Like my wife says, "Don't talk to me about another rifle, you do just fine with the one you have."

I've mishandled, far too many times, my Ruger M77's. They are ugly as sin. Maybe it's just the sight of em that knocks over critters!

Enjoy your new rifle and I don't feel a Ruger is superior or anything like that. I'm just adding my testimonial that it's been durable and accurate for this backwoods boy.

I've hunted with a Ruger 270cal and 338 cal for 30 years. Never let me down. I've since bought and given my grandson a 10/22 and a 270. He's very pleased.