Thread: May hiking options

Default May hiking options

Hi all, new member here. I'm going to be traveling to Alaska in mid May was wondering if anyone had good trail recommendations for that time of the year. We will be staying around Palmer for most of the trip but are also considering a few day/overnight trips to Seward and Homer. I have taken the Reed Lakes trail before but figured this will have too much snow in mid May. I was thinking about going to Caines Head State Park, thought it would not have an issue with snow. We are planning to bring gear to camp out overnight (if need be) on the trail. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Some years May can be the nicest month; others it's a real b--ch. I'm thinking this year will be pretty good, it was like 45 here today. Sure is nice to hike before the devil's club and alder go nuts. Tons of good hiking around Seward, go to the visitor's center, they will line ya out.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Mid May on the Kenai...be thinking lower elevations.

Hope - Gull Rock trail
    Cooper Landing - Russian River Falls and Lower Russian Lake
    Homer - Have a charter boat run you over to Kachemak Bay State Park
    http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/kbay/kbaytrs.htm
    Clam Gulch/Ninilchik - Beach walk

Thanks for the advice!

Bodenburg Butte for a short hike near Palmer. For harder stuff, stick to open south facing exposures that get a lot of wind. The west end of Turnagain Arm, just south of Anchorage, has some great May hiking. All the way up to McHugh Peak if you like. I've been all the way up to 5000 feet in mid May with very little snow on Pepper Peak, accessed from the Twin Peaks Trail above Eklutna Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by HEATHEN View Post
    Bodenburg Butte for a short hike near Palmer. For harder stuff, stick to open south facing exposures that get a lot of wind. The west end of Turnagain Arm, just south of Anchorage, has some great May hiking. All the way up to McHugh Peak if you like. I've been all the way up to 5000 feet in mid May with very little snow on Pepper Peak, accessed from the Twin Peaks Trail above Eklutna Lake.
    Good to know! I would be going alone with a dog. Is this ok for us both? I am a slow hiker, but lots of endurance. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MountainGirl View Post
    Good to know! I would be going alone with a dog. Is this ok for us both? I am a slow hiker, but lots of endurance. Thanks!
    The Butte is fine for people and dogs. Its surrounded by farms out in The Butte area of Palmer. Pretty catchy name they got going on there.

I recommend getting a book that lists out all the local hiking trails. There is one "55 Ways into the Wilderness" that lists out many trails across the state road system with several in your "back yard". There also is a Chugach specific trail guide book that focuses on just State Park and National Forest access closer to Anchorage.

For spring hiking the south facing slopes along Turnagain Arm south of Anchorage is pretty good. There are lots of people on the established trails and a few off trail looking for winter left overs or fewer people.