Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I finally drew an archery moose tag, now to choose a broadhead...

Question I finally drew an archery moose tag, now to choose a broadhead...

I have already searched the site and done alot of reading here and elsewhere. I shoot a Parker compound bow with 70# draw wt and carbon arrows, and am looking to change to a new broadhead because I have never been satisfied with the precision of the one I currently use. Based on my research, I have pretty much settled on the 125 gr Montec G5 fixed 3-blade.

According to the 2012-2013 AK regs, mechanical broadheads are now legal. Now that mechanical broadheads are legal in AK, I am curious about the true performance of a mechanical broadhead and have a couple of questions:

Q1) Has anyone on the forum shot a moose with a mechanical broadhead, and if so, what were your observations?

Q2) If your answer to Q1 was yes, then what mechanical broadhead would you recommend for moose?

Thanks for your time, and happy hunting.

I'd stick with a fixed blade for big animal like moose.
    There's a ton of great options out there for fixed blade heads! I personally like the shuttle t-lock.
    I shot a buck with a 3 blade rage. What a P.O.S. I hit the shoulder going into the buck, two of the three blades sheared off. It turned into a four hour track job and a follow up shot. If I would've stuck with a fixed head I'm positive it would've been over a LOT sooner!

Personally, I would not rely on the actions of a mechanical Broadhead on a 1500# animal. They may work great on whitetails, but moose are another fashion. They may fly better but a fixed BH will fly just as well with proper tuning.

I'd rather have a fixed BH where it count.

I happen to like Magnus Stingers
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I doubt you are going to find many, if any, people with experience shooting moose with mechanical broadheads since it has been illegal until just recently. You may find some experience with people hunting deer or elk in other states where they were allowed, but consider the differences between those animals and moose when figuring it.

Personally, I like the idea of the fixed heads just for overall simplicity. There is nothing to go wrong as long as the head is screwed on right.

I have always shot thunder heads I have taken two moose with them and they have always done the job. They also work great on bears

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Thunderhead 125 grain can't go wrong!

I took a moose with magnus snuffer 125's....the stainless ones. Flew great, super sturdy, lifetime warranty (for whatever that means) I really like a solid, cut from contact broadhead, the stainless is great for the crud we hunt in, they sharpen easy.

I did this with a 60 pound old Jennings Gale force bow (circa 1996 bow, shot the moose in 2010 at 18 yards) punched through quartering forward and broke the ribs on the far side......I was beyond impressed with the penetration considering the equipment.....moose went about 120 yards and fell over dead.

Leave the mechanicals for a hunt that you won't cry about when the equipment fails.....or just leave them on the shelf period if you ask me.

I like the look of the Montec's I shot thunderheads for years and they're good but I simplified to a bh with no removable parts, and that's how I like it.

hmmm, seems the post I responded to got zapped or edited......well it said....."why a mechanical?"

to which I responded :

Were I to guess, he's looking for more precision (yes?), which could also make one lean towards a mechanical because they tend to fly well with less tuning. At this point this is all supposition, but were it the case....I'd learn how to tune a real broadhead and leave the mechanicals alone. Moose shots won't be out at 50 yards and despite some folks need to for feather cutting, shaft splitting accuracy even with a bh.....a softball sized group at 30 yards equals dead critters and it's cheaper on fletchings.

Magnus Snuffer 125's At 26yards I blew completely through, hit one rib. Found the arrow and could of used it again.

BowTech Pro 40 at 72 lbs and 525 grain arrows. Some times heavier is better. Like moose hunting and Alaskan women in winter.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    hmmm, seems the post I responded to got zapped or edited......well it said....."why a mechanical?"

to which I responded :

Were I to guess, he's looking for more precision (yes?), which could also make one lean towards a mechanical because they tend to fly well with less tuning. At this point this is all supposition, but were it the case....I'd learn how to tune a real broadhead and leave the mechanicals alone. Moose shots won't be out at 50 yards and despite some folks need to for feather cutting, shaft splitting accuracy even with a bh.....a softball sized group at 30 yards equals dead critters and it's cheaper on fletchings.
    The post was actually mine and I deleted it cause I wanted to add more to it.. I happen to agree with your statement but will go a bit further. Tuning can be a daunting task and I have found after many years in the archery buisness and shooting pro that quite frankly a lot of people simply just dont know where to start and get overwhelmed with all the info out there. Mechanicals got a rep for being a cure all but in many cases they are not and tend to fly as erratic as an untuned fixed especially at distances beyond 30 yards which on a white tail is a long shot but here in ALaska on a moose with a kill zone dwarfing that of a whitail its not a far shot by any means... I have heard many good thing about the montecs but personally do not have experience with them..

Congrats on the tag.For many years i shot zwickey broadheads i shot two moose with these and they worked great.The nice thing about them is they are easily sharpened with a file to the point you can shave with them.The only problem i had with them were finding the right inserts for them.They are harder to tune but if you get them right they are very dependable . good luck

I will be using G5 Montec on my JBER moose hunt this fall

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    The post was actually mine and I deleted it cause I wanted to add more to it.. I happen to agree with your statement but will go a bit further. Tuning can be a daunting task and I have found after many years in the archery buisness and shooting pro that quite frankly a lot of people simply just dont know where to start and get overwhelmed with all the info out there. Mechanicals got a rep for being a cure all but in many cases they are not and tend to fly as erratic as an untuned fixed especially at distances beyond 30 yards which on a white tail is a long shot but here in ALaska on a moose with a kill zone dwarfing that of a whitail its not a far shot by any means... I have heard many good thing about the montecs but personally do not have experience with them..
    Thanks for the insight as a pro in the business, it is indeed daunting to tune those suckers sometimes but I feel that a broadhead flying funny is just a magnification of what may already be wrong with the bow set up, or sometimes bh's just need tuned.

+1 to Dave in the Bush......it was your recommendation three years ago for snuffers that put me in that direction and I am sold for life on those heads. THere are likely many other good ones made today, but I figure I need to look no further.

Top the OP, if you like the Montecs.....go for it and we're looking forward to pics this fall. Congrats on the tag.

Muzzy 125 3 blade fixed they claimed these 2 bulls need I say anymore

PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Thanks to everyone for your input. It is a thread like this that makes all of us more effective hunters.

Catchit, yes I want to achieve better precision than what I have managed with a fixed broadhead in the past. Now that mechanical broadheads are legal in AK, I also want to evaluate them. At this point, what I have settled on doing is practicing/tuning using a Montec G5 broadhead, doing the same with a mechanical broadhead, and using my observations of their precision to decide which I will use for my moose hunt.

I also believe the broadhead and arrow combination plays a significant role in precision, which brings me to my follow-up question:

Q3) Which broadhead AND what arrows do you use for moose?

I am having a hard time finding the SS Snuffers. I think they stopped production. Am I wrong?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Check out Slick Tricks; there is a variety and they are all totally steel, fly true, are VERY easy to tune, make big holes, are inexpensive. My experience has been with the original (now called magnum) and th standard. The largest animal that either my son or I have shot with them has been elk, but they definitely did the job very well. I have carried them for moose but so far I haven't had a shot at a legal moose. From my first shot with them, I stopped looking for any other broadhead. I sold my Thunderheads (hard to tune for me) and a couple of other broadheads which I had previously tried. Few stores carry them but IMO it is because the dealer and others sell them at such a good price that the stores don't make as much on them as they do on some other broadheads.

Almost all modern broadheads will work well provided they:

1. Shoot well out of your particular set up, (Thunderhead 125's shoot better them 125 Muzzy's out of my bow)
    2. Razor Sharp
    3. Shot placement (accuracy) broadside only, complete pass through, i made a mistake hitting a small bull quartering away and although I hit lungs and gave him over an hour he still managed to travel a great distance before I got another opportunity to hit him again to drop him.

As for mechanical I believe the morden ones work extremely well and open a huge wound

magnus as a hole is falling on tough times. I'm not sure what happened with Mike but my understanding is he's not making a lot of heads anymore. He used to manufactor heads for many of the bigger named companies.

I remember when mech's were legal and I had a couple buddies that did well with them. Thats back in the day when bulls were all over creamers field also lol! I dont remember what they were shooting its been a long long time.

Will they work, I think they will if you do your part, plus pick a good head which most of them are these days. Would I recommend it? NO!

There's no such thing as a perfect head...but there are many better ones than others out there (less prone to failing). I obviously prefer 2 blades but any of the 3 cut on contacts will do all my 2's will do. there are many others out there that are a solid head. The big question is getting one to fly right. If you're having issues with flight, you have tuning problems period!

Roger...that 2nd bull you neck shoot'm? Man that devils club..thats' gotta suck for packing out of LOL!

Im with Roger on this 125 grain 3 blade muzzy. I made great shot on a bull a few years back and well he didn't make it to far at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast