Thread: Preserving Bait

Default Preserving Bait

I recently read where it's possible to preserve herring in salt rather than freezing them. I spend summers at a remote cabin where the fishing is very good but the lack of bait is always a problem. We try and keep it as best we can but our freezer capacity is pretty small. Anyone here familiar with this technique?

In order to really preserve them without freezing for long periods using just salt you would need so much salt that the bait would become unusable.
    However if you have a fridge or cooler you can use this brine that will toughen up the herring as well as preserve it for weeks refrigerated.

http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_brining_herring.html

My experiences are different. I would buy herring before the first fishing trip and put it in a cooler with rock salt. Herring would actually be better than fresh because the salt make it firmer. Fish liked it as well. What got tossed in Sept looked as good as it did in May.

I have had good results salting herring and hooligan.
    I buy the bulk salt from 3 bears in 25# bags.
    Put a layer of salt in a bucket. Add a 3 inch or so layer of fish and cover with 1 or 2 inches of salt and repeat until bucket is full.
    Cover the bucket and store in a cool dark place.
    After a few days drain the liquid from the bucket.
    It should be good for almost a year.
    Hooligan get too soft to use after a year or so.
    Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I brine mine in a similar way as posted above and them vacuum seal them into batch sizes that I will use at a time. I keep them frozen until ready, then while out keep them as cool as possible. Using cold water, snow, glacier ice etc.. I have no problem keeping them for a week to 10 days at a time. The vacuum sealed packs keep my cooler clean and prevents all my other stuff from smelling like bait.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I have had good results salting herring and hooligan.
    I buy the bulk salt from 3 bears in 25# bags.
    Put a layer of salt in a bucket. Add a 3 inch or so layer of fish and cover with 1 or 2 inches of salt and repeat until bucket is full.
    Cover the bucket and store in a cool dark place.
    After a few days drain the liquid from the bucket.
    It should be good for almost a year.
    Hooligan get too soft to use after a year or so.
    Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk 2
    I did the same thing the last few years I chartered. I used two halves of a 55 gal plastic barrel. Every morning on my way to the boat, I'd dig a bucket full of bait out of the barrel I was currently using. Every few days I'd have to buy boxes of herring baiit and refill an emptied half barrel. Saltin the herring made it much tougher and it stayed on the hook longer/better./ I also saved the herring oil that accumulated in the bottom of the barrel halves.

There are times when it outfishes herring, dramatically. No refrigeration needed, but make sure you keep the lid sealed so the "juices" don't evaporate. I like to put the jar in a gallon ziplock to make sure it doesn't dry out. The nice thing about the jars is that over time the scent will be washed out and so long as the gulp isn't chewed up, you can put it back in the jar and re-use it.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

A ziplock full of bulk salt and a bunch of herring in it should last weeks if not months. Just don't let it get to Juicy and pour off water/oil if it collects in the bag.

Out of curiousity.....what are you using herring for at a remote cabin....is it on the salt? or a river/lake.

Thanks for the info guys. We use the herring for halibut, a little north of Kodiak.

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    A ziplock full of bulk salt and a bunch of herring in it should last weeks if not months. Just don't let it get to Juicy and pour off water/oil if it collects in the bag.

Out of curiousity.....what are you using herring for at a remote cabin....is it on the salt? or a river/lake.
    Gotta have something to go with dem sourdough biscuits

This has me thinking. Where can you buy bulk herring in Seward, Soldotna, or Homer?

Quote Originally Posted by idakfisher View Post
    This has me thinking. Where can you buy bulk herring in Seward, Soldotna, or Homer?
    There is a place on the sterling highway near clam gulch I believe where they sell cook inlet caught Herring each spring they put out a plywood sign on the end of their driveway. There is a guy in Nikiski who also sells it fresh like that as I have some coworkers who buy a seasons worth every year then salt and store it without the need for taking up freezer space.
    If you want frozen boxed bait there are several sources. The fish processor on K-beach just outside Soldotna has it in 50 LB boxes.
    Several places in Homer have 30# boxes I know the gear shed has it as does the tackle shop across from the fishing hole. I also believe the icehouse sells bulk boxes of bait.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

If you salt your herring it will almost for ever, you need to drain the liquid. If you can drain off the bottom it is best. You will not loose the oils. I also salt cod fillets then put them in with the herring. If you want you can add Pro-Cure chartreuse bait fish oil with UV to your salted bait, it steps it up a lot.