Thread: Lets talk Inline Water Filters

Default Lets talk Inline Water Filters

I have a question for you guys about the water filters see you have on your hydration bladders. I was looking into trying one out this year, and would like to see if there any brands you recommend. How do they stack up against a MSR Hyperflow? Where can I buy one? I have been looking on backcountrygear, REI, cabelas, etc and can't find them anywhere. Any advice woud be welcome.

Thanks
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

The ANC REI store has the Sawyer "4 Way" filter system on the shelf. Its an in line filter kit that also allows for hooking up to a faucet to filter tap water. The previous version was called a "3 Way". I think the new 4 Way is also set up to be used with their two bag squeeze system, but you can buy them separately.

Options on Backcountry.com are:

platypus gravityworks in line

Sawyer 3-way at REI

MSR gravity system cartridge only

They all provide an in line filter than can be hooked up to tubing from an existing system.

REI store also has the platypus inline filter.

With my $20 REI gift card I will be picking up a Sawyer 4 way system. I'll have it on a 3L wide mouth style bag that will for every be a dirty water bag.

After reading the reviews of the sawyer filter with their squeeze bags, I would shy away from the bags. Sounds like an overly complicated system that easily gets messed up during the manufacturing process and while in use.

The platypus gravity filter can be bought separately from the full system. I think I saw them on the shelf at REI as well. I know on line I can get replacement filters easy enough. However, only the Sawyer has a "million gallons" of treated water claim before you need to change out one of their hollow core filters.

Sawyer inline with a platypus bag.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

We have had great success with the sawyer "in-line" filter. We use 3 L platypus big zips and the "dip and go" method. It means your bladder is "dirty" and that you filter it as you drink it.

It can also be used to gravity filter into our 6L dromlite or other containers. Way better to let gravity do the work, I don't miss pumping at all...

Have heard of folks having problems with them freezing in cold weather, but we have not had any trouble. Just pull and drain the filters and keep them warm if temps are below freezing.

Thanks, I'm heading down to Barney's on Friday to get my new Pinnacle bag, I guess I'll go down the street afterwards and stop by REI.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    Thanks, I'm heading down to Barney's on Friday to get my new Pinnacle bag, I guess I'll go down the street afterwards and stop by REI.
    I believe Sportsmans warehouse carries them as well...

I stopped by this afternoon looking for the sawyer system, and couldn't find on in there. It's ok though, it gives me a chance to do some more gear shopping on my lunch break!

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    They are having a mid winter sale on winter gear. They are also closing out some things, so look for the little orange tags on stuff on the racks - they are hard to see. They cleaned out their out of production sleeping bag storage area and have a huge pile of bags at steep discounts. If your short or looking for something odd it might be in the sale bin. I am glad I am short, because now I will be warm and not have to carry an extra pound of weight.

I did not see the older Sawyer in line filter, but it might be hiding in that section someplace. They do have a bunch of those new squeeze ones.

Also if you are a member and spend over $100 they will give you a $20 gift card that is only good in mid March for a week. It works online as well. I don't know how long this give away lasts. It may be over already.

I was in rei today didn't see the adapter prices I showed you last night but they have both the squeeze and then the 2 liter bladder inline filter combo for $80.

Glad I didn't stop by the sleeping bags might have been tempted to spend money I don't have.

Picked up a Sawyer 2L kit at REI today, and they are still giving out the gift cards. I found a really cool SOTO stove in there as well and couldn't pass it up.