Thread: Someone have to leave a moose camp? Upper Watana Creek/Butte Creek.

Default Someone have to leave a moose camp? Upper Watana Creek/Butte Creek.

Just checking in to see if any of you might have left a camp out here. We get there by going down Butte Creek Trail, then to the far end of Sheep Valley 10 miles SouthEast of Deadman Lake. We put a research station there for working out of the rest of the winter. Noticed a fairly new orange and tan tent with water jugs, shoes, etc. Folding chairs, a table, hard carrying case, etc. Not sure what else we will turn out of the snow, but we'll keep it all in a pile and put it by a tree. I assume it was left in a rush to get out of the trail before the rains at the end of moose season. Anyhow, there is a good snow machine trail in there now, or if you plan to pick it up in the summer, we'll have it in a nice pile. Wind and snow have done a number on the tent.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    Just checking in to see if any of you might have left a camp out here. We get there by going down Butte Creek Trail, then to the far end of Sheep Valley 10 miles SouthEast of Deadman Lake. We put a research station there for working out of the rest of the winter. Noticed a fairly new orange and tan tent with water jugs, shoes, etc. Folding chairs, a table, hard carrying case, etc. Not sure what else we will turn out of the snow, but we'll keep it all in a pile and put it by a tree. I assume it was left in a rush to get out of the trail before the rains at the end of moose season. Anyhow, there is a good snow machine trail in there now, or if you plan to pick it up in the summer, we'll have it in a nice pile. Wind and snow have done a number on the tent.

Claude
    Wow! You are a true gentleman Claude.

Thumbs up

I recall a recent thread here that was about what each person would do when finding other's belongings afield; the whole gamut of "answers" were there.

Great example Claude of the right way to do it.

It would be cool if the owner turned out to be a person you know; its a smallWorld after all.
    Last edited by FamilyMan; 02-25-2013 at 21:45. Reason: had to go back and misspell small world, so skumwords wouldn't add a link

It's a "spring bear" camp now!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

when i was back there in october there was three guys shuttling broke down rigs out and they mentioned i think at least two camps that got left there in sept from the high water rush to get out, some of them came out and then tried to get back in and couldn't. not sure who's camp was whose but they guys i talked with where makin' plans to come back in on sleds and get their stuff.i'm thinking they said their's was around jay creek? though. i know they said one camp had a big jeep at it...? is that lone truck still up on the runway?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

The three guys you are talking about Jake did get their camps out. As of Thanksgiving they were still trying to get their wheelers out. Not sure if they did get them or not. The truck was picked up before the highway was no longer able to be driven down. Claude has had a couple guys message him and he thinks he figured out whose stuff it is. I am sure while he is out there he will come across more stuff to watch over. Lots of people ran fast when that rain started coming down. I know we were within about 12 hours of loosing our own stuff out there this fall!!
    Get Lost! (and like it!) Come to Alpine Creek Lodge! http://www.alpinecreeklodge.com/

Glad to hear those guys got their stuff out. Hopefully this fall season goes a bit drier for everyone!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I keep finding more abandoned camps and vehicles out there. We'll keep an eye on things while we do our research, but we are finally seeing where a lot of folks are venturing out there as spring gets closer. Nothing has been touched yet that we can tell. Getting most of the camps we have found out by snow machine would be easy right now. For summer, July is probably the earliest the trails are going to be passable.

Good luck!
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com