Thread: I need some reel advice.

Default I need some reel advice.

I have a favorite trout rod. It's cheap, but I've caught tons of trout on it and it's collapsible - probably the reason I like it so much. I like to go on camping trips every year with a friend on motorcycles and the rod is always with me. It's a Shakespeare Ultralight. The thing is - the reel is on it's last leg, and I'd rather replace it than buy a new compact rig. I've never bought a reel before though, and I honestly don't know much about them. I always just use whatever comes on the pole I buy. Anyone care to educate me, and recommend a replacement reel?

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

My two favorites that I own would be the Penn Fierce 4000 or the Abu Garcia Cardinal STX, both under $60. I have caught many trout and salmon on both and have no complaints.

I'll be reading along with the information...I'm looking at the Penn Battle 4000 ($100ish) for large trout/salmon and it is a saltwater reel

Quote Originally Posted by Goon View Post
    My two favorites that I own would be the Penn Fierce 4000 or the Abu Garcia Cardinal STX, both under $60. I have caught many trout and salmon on both and have no complaints.
    Thanks, I'll look those up!

Nuskovich - come on up. There's plenty of room up here in the interior.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Second that on the abu garcia cardinal. I've had a couple of those. I also like Quantum reels, I've been mainly getting them now in the last couple of reels I've bought.

WAIT A MINUTE! Several reels? Because you need them (multiple fisherman) or replace them because you wear them out? I own a Shakespeare with Ugly Stik for panfish that never fails and will tinker with Grayling next summer.

Oh man, you made me do it..........I went outside and counted my fishing rods/reels. I have an embarrassing amount of gear. I stopped counting at 35 different rods/reel combos. (that's fly rods, trout rods, flipping stick for reds (3 of them), King rods, trolling rods, halibut rods, Jiggin rods, ice fishing rods, and a zebco I didn't even know I had.)
    I have expensive gear, and cheaper gear. I had a cardinal that lasted forever, but others that I destroy quickly......it is Alaska. My favorite rod/reel right now is a lamiglass 8foot Russian river rod with a quantum reel. I've used that one for 4 years now, and really like it.

Here are m .02. i am guessing you are talking about spinning reels. depending on what you want to spend. I would reccomend a shimano. The bearings are unmatched in quality from anyone else you can literally fish them as long as you want. they are in a special casing, (i dont know details) but I know they are top notch. You can spend anywhere from 50-500 on a shimano. Another light reel is a Falcon moxie. very light reel, they make a larger one that is nice as well (they are both under 100.00.)

Quote Originally Posted by ccooper88 View Post
    Here are m .02. i am guessing you are talking about spinning reels. depending on what you want to spend. I would reccomend a shimano. The bearings are unmatched in quality from anyone else you can literally fish them as long as you want. they are in a special casing, (i dont know details) but I know they are top notch. You can spend anywhere from 50-500 on a shimano. Another light reel is a Falcon moxie. very light reel, they make a larger one that is nice as well (they are both under 100.00.)
    Honestly, the type isn't that important. I've fished with just about everything out there and don't really have a preference one way or the other. reliability and longevity matter more to me. Sounds like Shimano may be the way to go.

I'm a big fan of the Shimano Stradic and have used a small one for Lakers, Rainbows, Salmon, and Halibut. Another favorite is the Pflueger Medalist...very smooth operation and at a reasonable price. I keep a medium rod with a 50 series reel and it use it for bottom fishing quite a bit.

The Stradic in this vid has seen 10 years of hard service and still works as new. While the Butts in this vid are pretty small, it does show ultra-light gear handling more that it is designed for.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Honestly, the type isn't that important. I've fished with just about everything out there and don't really have a preference one way or the other. reliability and longevity matter more to me. Sounds like Shimano may be the way to go.
    yeah if longevity and workmanship are your end goal you can't go wrong with a shimano. Try to stick to the reels from $75 and up. I don't know that the cheaper ones would be less reliable but seems to be with most fishing reels the pre package reels one the racks and the less expensive dont last as long. ( I have the Sedona and its awesome for the money)

Well, funny how things work out... A friend of mine was at a rotary event recently and bought a raffle ticket for a gun. He wound up with second prize, which was a $150 gift certificate for 3 Rivers Fly and Tackle here in Wasilla. He's not into fishing, so he gave it to me. Looks like there's a quality reel in my future!

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    Well, funny how things work out... A friend of mine was at a rotary event recently and bought a raffle ticket for a gun. He wound up with second prize, which was a $150 gift certificate for 3 Rivers Fly and Tackle here in Wasilla. He's not into fishing, so he gave it to me. Looks like there's a quality reel in my future!
    Sounds like you made out like a bandit! Congrats

Thanks! I went by there Friday to look around. The guy who was working there told me their new stock for the season will be in in about 3-4 weeks. I'll go back then and pick up the latest model Shimano that will fit my pole.