Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: What ammo is recommended for the 10mm?

  1. #1

    Default What ammo is recommended for the 10mm?

    I have heard things about some of the factory ammo being loaded at .40 levels. I am okay with that for just plinking, but when I load up the clips for carrying in the woods, looking at having the best ammo I can get. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Member DucksAndDogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Palmer/Deadhorse
    Posts
    1,030

    Default

    What type of 10mm do you have? If you're shooting a Glock, I've been told to stay away from any cast bullets as the lead can build up in the grooves of the polygonal rifling and eventually cause some major problems.

    If you aren't shooting a Glock, or if you have an aftermarket barrel in it, or even if you don't mind cleaning the crap out of it all the time, I've heard really good stuff about Double Tap. I shoot 180gr Speer Jacketed GDHP on top of 10.8 grains of Blue Dot. I guess I can't tell you how it performs on anything with a pulse, though.

  3. #3
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Double Tap 200g and 230g cast is the normal fodder, it used to be great stuff but quality control has been slipping lately. I roll my own so donít know what store bought to recommend anymore. You do want cast, they will run in the Glock pipe but it needs to be cleaned and kept that way. I like 200g best, 230 is slightly unstable in every 10mm Iíve shot it in.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  4. #4
    Member blasterak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    14A
    Posts
    913

    Default

    I run Double Tap 200gr hard cast in mine when in the woods, seem to shoot better than the 230gr DT. Buffalo bore is another option and seems to be more available locally than Double tap. I haven't tried it though.

  5. #5

    Default

    Yes, I'm shooting a glock. I really wouldn't be shooting much of it through it, just want that for when toting in the woods. I would do the plinking with the regular stuff.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    1,179

    Default

    I have Buffalo Bore 200 grain FMJ (1200 fps/639 ft lbs) in my G20SF and Buffalo Bore 180 JHC (1350 fps/782 ft lbs) in the wifes G20SF for carry in the woods. For practice/plinking run 180 jacketed and 180 Laser cast in both. I do have 'after' market barrels for both, so have no issues using cast bullets. It sure helps to reload for these guns!

  7. #7
    Member marshall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Near Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Double Tap 200g, I like 200g best, 230 is slightly unstable in every 10mm Iíve shot it in.
    Very good to know...

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    73

    Default

    I purchased the after market Lone Wolf barrel for my G20SF. I enjoy Federal 180gr for plinking and have had great luck with the Double Tap 200g rounds at the range and use that round in the woods. I plan on buying a box or two of the DT 200 gr bullets for reloading. I really like my G20SF..

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    375

    Default

    I make all my own ammo, my plinking loads are a 180gr laser cast, for hunting I use Hornady XTPs in 155, 180 and 200gr flavors. I do not see a need to go bigger than 200gr myself, and when they are gone, I'll probably stick with the 180s. I did account for a caribou with the 200 gr XTP yesterday.

  10. #10
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    What type of 10mm do you have? If you're shooting a Glock, I've been told to stay away from any cast bullets as the lead can build up in the grooves of the polygonal rifling and eventually cause some major problems.

    If you aren't shooting a Glock, or if you have an aftermarket barrel in it, or even if you don't mind cleaning the crap out of it all the time, I've heard really good stuff about Double Tap. I shoot 180gr Speer Jacketed GDHP on top of 10.8 grains of Blue Dot. I guess I can't tell you how it performs on anything with a pulse, though.
    There are no grooves in a polygonal rifled barrel but I believer he said he has a Lone Wolff barrel.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  11. #11
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tenmm View Post
    I make all my own ammo, my plinking loads are a 180gr laser cast, for hunting I use Hornady XTPs in 155, 180 and 200gr flavors. I do not see a need to go bigger than 200gr myself, and when they are gone, I'll probably stick with the 180s. I did account for a caribou with the 200 gr XTP yesterday.

    Sweet man! My 6" KKM in my glock 20 loves the DT 230gr hardcast! Killed a black bear, two caribou, and finished off two moose with it. Killed caribou with it too with the .22lr kit, love that GLOCK! I am wanting to try the buffalo bore 220 hardcast sometime. Plus the cor bon penetrator fmj fp. But DT 230 does wonders for me. Not a reloader. Did see 230gr, .401" DT bullets for handloaders at SW in town today. Box of 100 for $23.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    375

    Default

    I do plan to try the heavier bullets some time, there are so many options it difficult to decide. I also got distracted by building a house and having a kid, it kind of cuts down on bench time. There probably isnt much difference in trajectory between all those bullet weights within the effective range of an open sighted handgun. I practice at 100 yards, but most of my shots on game have been within 60 yards.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Ak
    Posts
    3,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    There are no grooves in a polygonal rifled barrel but I believer he said he has a Lone Wolff barrel.
    The op did not say he had a lonewolf barrel that was another poster... I blew a glock 20 up one time.... Case ruptured on me... Come gang you all know about the un supported chambers on glocks... Anyhow shooting my handloads this was way before they were making dies for brass that was shot out of glocks... **** at one time you couldn't give brass that was shot out of a glock away anyhow... Blew that glock 20 scared the **** out of me... Took a hammer to get the slide off. Sent it to glock, all I had to buy a new barrel I got it back and I promptly sold it and no glock pistola has graced my house again... If you want to have a good time find some of that old school Norma 10mm ammo...

    here is the link to the sizing die to get if you plan on loading your own stuff...
    http://www.egwguns.com/undersized-re...eloading-dies/

  14. #14
    New member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Don't know what handgun your shooting, I use 13.5 grs AA#9 [200 gr cast bullet] with Glock 20 with 6.6 inch Lonewolf barrel, same load works great in a 14 in. Contender barrel. I use the Glock for my backpack gun now. JMHO

    Rafe

  15. #15
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    4,431

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    The op did not say he had a lonewolf barrel that was another poster... I blew a glock 20 up one time.... Case ruptured on me... Come gang you all know about the un supported chambers on glocks... Anyhow shooting my handloads this was way before they were making dies for brass that was shot out of glocks... **** at one time you couldn't give brass that was shot out of a glock away anyhow... Blew that glock 20 scared the **** out of me... Took a hammer to get the slide off. Sent it to glock, all I had to buy a new barrel I got it back and I promptly sold it and no glock pistola has graced my house again... If you want to have a good time find some of that old school Norma 10mm ammo...

    here is the link to the sizing die to get if you plan on loading your own stuff...
    http://www.egwguns.com/undersized-re...eloading-dies/
    323, I fail to see the correlation but yes I did see no mention of the after market barrel, You're correct. About your mishap, what do you attribute that to?

    And I've loaded 1000's of rounds for the ten MM without that die and without any mishap. Do not see the need I use Redding dies and load 200 grains at 1200 fps from 4.6" I've burned lots of Blue Dot in the 10 MM.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?



  16. #16

    Default

    I have made two trips to the store to pick up a set of dies for my Glock in 40 s&w and they were out of stock. Does it take a special set of dies for a Glock? The store usually carries RCBS brand in handgun dies. Will these work?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •