Thread: Kotzebue Air Charters

Default Kotzebue Air Charters

Hi folks,

Lots of people headed north this year, and I thought a thread on Kotzebue air charters might help some of them. I know most of you headed that way have already made arrangements, so here goes.

What charter services would you recommend and why? Remember that the forum rules prevent negative posts about people or businesses, so only positive recommendations please.

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I would love to hear everyone's choice. I'm going up there in Sept. '08 and haven't decided on a charter yet. I could really use some help.

why don't you make this one of those survey things?
    Also, what good is it if you can't post negative comments or at least a " I would never use again", option?
    my .02$ worth.
    Bruce

Default Survey, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    why don't you make this one of those survey things?
    Also, what good is it if you can't post negative comments or at least a " I would never use again", option?
    my .02$ worth.
    Bruce
    Bruce,

The survey is a great idea; let's come up with a list of all of 'em and I can put a poll together. Let's let this thread sit here for a few days to collect names of charters, then we'll go for it. Here's two to start off; anyone else want to add a few?

1. Ram Aviation
    2. Mavrik Air

As far as negative posts, that's in the forum rules. Whether folks know it or not, there is a certain liability in posting negative comments about individuals and businesses. A line exists there somewhere and the webmaster has opted to take a conservative road on this. There is some value in knowing the down-side of some businesses, and the way that is handled here is by private message. Perhaps not a perfect solution, but it keeps the place clean and avoids a lot of other entanglements.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Unhappy a little heads up...

on one carrier.

http://www.pristineventures.com/cgi/...s,m=1177715310

this may shed light on at least one of the carriers.

In my opinion gmu 23 has been inundated with carriers, especially carriers that are not from Kotz and have spread themselves way to thin. I have heard way to many stories here and from acquaintances of people being dropped on top of each other, left on the tarmac, or left in the country because some transporters are overbooking themselves. Don't get me wrong many walk away with great experiences and trophies, some are delayed because of weather, but others never get off the ground.

I know I won't be flying out on a caribou hunt from Kotz anytime soon so I hope that one or two transporters will step-up and become stand outs hunters can rely on when they make an agreement.

Not a bad idea, Mike. However, with all that has been said about problems up there,ESPECIALLY by you.........I don't see the logic in encouraging even MORE hunters to use Kotz. How about a thread on Kotz alternatives? How about the beat places to access the WACH during the sept. hunt season.
    Maybe helping folks get a bou without going to Kotz would be better?????
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default New guy - first post

First things first; I'm Ed from the lower 48 (tx) and I want to say thanks to all for the education I've been able to get from your posts. I'm with MartenTrapper on this one. From everything I've read Kotz has good bou but a high chance of you won't enjoy the experience. I'm setting up a fall 08 hunt and since it's once in a lifetime due to cost, I want to take back good memories as much as a good bull.

I don't want to hijack this thread but thought this was the right place to plead for a second poll. I have already written off kotz and am searching for alternatives. So far all I've come up with is bettles or coldfoot and I can't seem to get much info on those.

Thanks

Red face Air Taxi Kotz

I hate to be the fly in the ointment here Mike, but if you donít have your flight lined up by now it may be too late to book any one who is reputable. I have lost 2-3 bookings (float hunts/equipment) because guys have just waited too long to find a pilot.

I keen suggestion to anyone coming up our way is plan and book early! Oct/Nov the year before is not early up here.

Also be prepared to have a lot of guys dump hard and often on a number of the flight services that are flying out of Kotzs because many services are up here to make a fast buck and have developed a very bad reputation. Do you want this to become a negative thread because I think it will and quickly. Maybe a rating of 1-5 of the various flight services and PMís to keep it clean.

One mans thoughts.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotzebue
    Your best bet in Rafts, Canoes and Camp rentals in all of NW Alaska

www.northwestalaska.com

Default Agreed, however...

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post
    I hate to be the fly in the ointment here Mike, but if you donít have your flight lined up by now it may be too late to book any one who is reputable....Also be prepared to have a lot of guys dump hard and often on a number of the flight services that are flying out of Kotzs because many services are up here to make a fast buck and have developed a very bad reputation. Do you want this to become a negative thread because I think it will and quickly. Maybe a rating of 1-5 of the various flight services and PMís to keep it clean...
    Walt,

Great points. Yeah, I know a lot of folks have already made arrangements for this year (or should have). I generally recommend planning this stuff no later than January the year of, or before if possible. The intent was to get folks talking about what services they've used, so folks booking for 2008 have some info to go by.

I like your idea of a scale of 1-5, but we might go 1-6 instead, just so nobody takes the middle ground? What do you think?

As to the numbers of charters up there, you guys are correct. But there is more to the picture. The charters wouldn't be there if the hunters weren't. The hunters wouldn't be there if the Mulchatna Herd had not fallen apart (they would be in western Alaska, where they were ten years ago). As to general caribou hunting tips and pointers (and "where to" alternatives to the arctic), that's not the purpose of this thread. Those are worthy ideas in themselves, and I've even opened discussions on them in the past. My point here is that folks are coming to the arctic already. So what commercial services in that area do we recommend?

So far we only have two companies listed. Anyone out there want to add others to the pot?

Thanks!

-Mike

Others I have heard about are Buck Maxon from Arctic Air... I think that is his business. No web site.
    Then there is Walt's buddy Eric Seih from Hagelund.
    Thats a start.
    Bruce

As far as negative comments, you all are more than welcome to send PMs to people who inquire about specific businesses - just don't post the negative comments publicly. Thanks for respecting the forum guidelines!

Talking Kotz air services

Good idea using PM to vent your frustrations with the various pilots and flight services. Lets keep in mind that 1 bad experience dose not make a bad flight service. I think it is important that any one who is coming up to Kotz knows who to stay from though. The best way to deal with the flight services that does a poor job is pinch them in the wallet. If they do less business in Kotzebue maybe they will work harder to take care of their customers or they will move out of this area.

I just hate to hear these stories about hunters who get left in Kotz or in the bush and they have spent big bucks on a hunt of a lifetime that never happened because of some Yahoo. We have lots of great pilots who care enough to work with the hunter rather than just dropping them. I always tell my floaters to sit down with the pilot and ask questions way befor they send a deposit. Any pilot who wonít take the time to work you should be a big red flag!

Lets get a complete list of who is flying up here and let the rating system begin. Be honest guys as many people are going to be reading will make decisions based upon what we say, remember to ask the hard questions via PM and lets keep it clean!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotzebue
    www.northwestalaska.com

my signature link has a lot of information on those charter. I don' think the prices are right but numbers should be. I have comments in there about my charter, Mavrik so you can read all about that. I made the site to help others that were heading up to that area and give them some insight on what they might encounter.

Default Artic Air Guides

I have had good luck with Buck at Artic Air Guides as well as Eric with Haggland (spelling?) Air, but as mentioned if you are not already booked it is too late. I had one friend that lost his slot with Buck as he is over booked.
    One suggestion for residents:
    If you can afford to fly up in July and register to hunt past the 20th, it sure makes for an awesome trip! With last years warm tempertures, the late hunting did not add the anticipated benifit of the rut, but being alone on one of the popular rivers for 10 days was awesome!

Default past the 20th?

O.K. What is this "past the 20th" stuff?
    Bruce

Default Past the 20th stuff!

If you fly to Kotz between June 1st and July 15th you can get a registration tag that will allow you to hunt past Sept 20th which is the end of the normal Moose Season. We usually get dropped off around the 15th of Sept and hunt through the 30th. Most hunters are already way down river by the time we land and if the weather cooperates, the rut is going like gang busters!

BruceB is a non res. He can't legally get the registration permit.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default where's the survey??

O.K. where is the survey?
    Bruce

Thumbs up Kotz Air Trans

I am a resident from Petersburg. We used Northern Air Trophy last year. We had no idea who to use and chose them for no specfic reason. Matt and Julie did everything we paid for and MORE. We are using them again this year. They were courtious and bent over backwards to be helpful.

Default Clueless on Kotz

Hey Guys, Brand new to the forum. I am a wildlife biologist in Virginia and my friend and I are in the process of planning a trip through Kotzebue in Sept. 2008. You all have scared us pretty good with the horror stories. Last thing we want is to get that far and have the trip fall apart because our guide scheduled too many flights, or to get dropped on top of another party in the tundra. I can't find much info on the current status of the WAH and it's trends. Does anyone have any news on that? There didn't seem to be a clear winner in the poll and I am not sure how the question was worded. I guess the bottom line is any information or tips that anyone can give us would be appreciated. I look forward to many posts with you in the future. Thanks.