Thread: 300 RUM and RL 17?

Default 300 RUM and RL 17?

Has anyone tried Reloader 17 out of a 300 Ultra Mag? I was able to get a small ammout of that powder, and am curious to see if anyone else has experimented with it. The 300 Ultra Mag performs great with both RL22 and RL25 with 180 gr bullets, but can only find limited info on the RL17, but it sounds promising. Thanks in advance!

-Elkman

My experience is that the slower burning powders give increased velocity in the RUM. I have used RL25 and Retumbo mostly and had book velocities with my factory rifles in 300 RUM. Nosler has IMR 4350 as their most accurate powder tested with 180g bullets, albeit, much slower than retumbo/RL25/Magnum. RL 17 is about 4350 burn rate, so it should work. You will suffer velocity, but hopefully you can make it up with accuracy.

RL 17 is a hot commodity. Maybe you could trade it for some Retumbo and then everybody will get what they want.

Perhaps a typo but RL-17 is much FASTER than RL-25 and Retumbo. It falls in between 4350 and 4831, there is data with those powders in a few manuals. Data with those powders uses much less charge than the slower RL-25 and Retumbo recipes.

I have a buddy at work that loads 180gr Accubonds in his 300RUM with H4350. I prefer a slower powder with a higher case fill in mine. Retumbo works great.

after talking with a tech with alliant today, it sounds like you are exactly right with the burn rate and powder charge. it looks like the 300 RUM with 180 GR Barnes takes a charge of 67.2-71.5 gr of IMR4350 (comparable to the RL 17 burn rate) based on the Hodgdon Powder Guide versus the slower powder (i am currently shooting RL 22 out of my 300 but cant find anymore of it) which is at 86 gr.

from everything i have researched, i think starting at the low end of the IMR4350 and working up in 1 gr incriments watching for pressure signs will get it to where it needs to be. Unfortunetly those big cases take a lot of powder, and the powder they like to burn are quite scarce right now.

Quote Originally Posted by elkman55 View Post
    Unfortunetly those big cases take a lot of powder, and the powder they like to burn are quite scarce right now.
    Take a look at 7828ssc, Retumbo, H1000, RL-25. I've been involved in loads using all of those powders with great success in the 300RUM, 338RUM and 338LM. The big case cartridges do well with those powders.

I have it on very good referral that HSM uses H1000 in there custom 300RUM loads built for the McMillan EOL line of rifles with Berger bullets.

H869 is another option if you're having a hard time finding powders that stuff the case.

Unfortunetly those big cases take a lot of powder, and the powder they like to burn are quite scarce right now.
    I know where there is 7828ssc and RL25 in stock in the valley if you are in need of some.

Matt that would be great. I prefer to shoot RL 22/25, but was just being forced to make due and experiment with what i had more than anything as I couldn't find either of those, or H1000.

Mat-Su Tactical/Arctic Ammo has RL-25 powder and 3 Bears on KGB road has IMR 7828ssc in stock (less than $23 a lb. which is a good deal!).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Mat-Su Tactical/Arctic Ammo has RL-25 powder and 3 Bears on KGB road has IMR 7828ssc in stock (less than $23 a lb. which is a good deal!).
    That's a great deal. I'm paying $29.95 for single pound containers down here in the lower at my local spot. They are getting greedy with related components...

Yes, I have tried RL17 in the 300 RUM with 180 E-Tips and a couple other 180 monos. My max load for the E-Tips was 86 gr with a velocity of 3400 fps. I got the same velocity with 98 gr of Retumbo and decided to stay with Retumbo because it was 98% capacity and and a more stable powder.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Some folks go with H1000 in the 300 RUM but most that read seem to like Retumbo better, mostly for velocity. I've tried both with multiple bullets and weights and Retumbo always gave me a little better performance in my rifle.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Retumbo if you can get it, dont look back, best Rum powder there is. IMHO. Also 200 gr accubond is the same ballistically as 180 gr Accubond past 300 yrds. Also if you have a factory reahm job you are probably limited to a COAL of the magazine however, if you can get within .005 of the lanze they will be happy bullets. Just my opinion.

Elkman, PM me if you are hell bent on some RL 25. I don't use it much and have some extra.

i agree Retumbo is a great powder. i have always got great accuracy with the alliant powders out of my ultra mags (both 300 and 338). Daved, thanks for the offer and if i cant get ahold of some here fairly soon i will drop you a line! appreciate the info guys!

i agree Retumbo is a great powder. i have always got great accuracy with the alliant powders out of my ultra mags (both 300 and 338). Daved, thanks for the offer and if i cant get ahold of some here fairly soon i will drop you a line! appreciate the info guys!
    I was at Mat-Su Tactical today picking up more mag primers and powder myself. There was about 10-15 1lb. containers of RL-25 ($28 a pound) on the shelf there. No Retumbo, however.

Was out in the wasilla for work the other day and swung by 3 bears and they were all out and mat-su said they were still 2 weeks out from opening. Kind of a bummer.