Thread: Cross Eye Dominance

Default Cross Eye Dominance

I am left handed but right eye dominant. I currently have a left handed rifle but am considering upgrading and wondering if it would be a good idea to switch and become a right handed shooter.

The pro's for shooting right handed are potential accuracy increase since I would be shooting out of my dominant eye. Much greater choice in available rifles (It's pretty slim picking on left handed models).

Con would be having to learn to shoot right handed, which just seems like it would be incredibly awkward.

Does anyone have experience with this? Does shooting with your non dominant eye really make that much of a difference? I'm by no means a great shooter and I don't know if I should attribute that to lack of practice or some other factor such as shooting with my "off" eye.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Trying to be the most effective, efficient and responsible hunter that I can be.

I'm left handed in everything I do except shooting. The first time I picked up a bb gun it went to my right shoulder. I would say borrow a friends right handed gun and go to the range for a practice session or three. See if you can pick-up the right handed shooting and see if it improves your shooting. It's tough to buy a gun wondering if it will work.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

I too am left-handed and right eye dominant. The only difference is that I grew up shooting right handed. When I do shoot left handed(pistol mostly) I find it is easier to close my right eye. Mount your rifle, or present your pistol, right handed with your eyes closed then open them. Do you get on target faster or better? If you do see an advantage try switching, if you don't see an advantage why fight all your shooting years of muscle memory?
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

I'm left handed and right eye dominant- I shoot right handed.

My son is just the oppposite- left eyed and right handed, he shoots lefty.

General rule of thumb is to shoot however your eye dominance dictates- you can learn to work the bolt right handed, pretty tough to train your eye.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

My daughter controls her left hand with her right eye, and her right hand with her left eye, even though she's "right handed" in everything she does. When she's shooting a handgun (she'd deadly with it) she holds it right handed and puts it in front of her left eye.

But when it comes to long guns, she's up the creek. When she shoulders one right handed, she tries to use her left eye. When she mounts it left handed she tries to use her right eye. Just the way the world turns for her, and much as she enjoys handguns she has never found happiness with long guns.

I do a fair bit of shooting both left and right handed, though I'm predominantly left handed. Just makes sense to me to be "ambidextrous" with any gun. I'm not saying I'm quick right handed, but most often I'm more accurate than left- perhaps because I have to concentrate so hard to do it right handed. After doing this on and off for years, I'm pretty okay with right handed shooting. But when push comes to shove, I'm shooting lefty.

I'd say learn to do both. With practice, either can start to feel pretty natural.

Just about everyone is cross dominant... Left side of brain controls right side of body. Except left side is left eye, right side is right eye. Left Eye is right handed.

Shoot in the manner that is most comfortable to you.

I am right handed but left eye dominant. I shoot sidearms with my left eye, rifles with my right.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I too am lefty and right eye dominant. Never have given it any thought. From shooting pool on a competitive basis to shooting rifles and hand guns, I do what's natural.

We humans tend to make things more difficult than they need be. Do what feels right and enjoy.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Yea! Lefties!!!
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Yea! Lefties!!!
    Cross eye dominance is much more common then i would have thought!

I'm right handed right eye dominate but my right eye is not as good as my left so I frequently shoot pistol with my left eye and it's no big deal. Rifles I have to shoot with my right eye so I use scopes a lot. If you are cross dominate put a dot on your shooting glasses on the eye you don't want to use and it doesn't take long before you can use the eye you want.

A friend a couple doors up the street is a right handed golfer, pool player, pistol shooter, just about everything he does except he shoots rifles as a lefty. I was puzzled so we did the eye dominance test. It turns out he is left eye dominant.

His pistol shooting accuracy suffered. His grip was bent wrist to aid with sight alignment in front of his left eye while shooting right handed. His accuracy was less than desirable on fast shots. The bent wrist can attribute to malfunctions with semi auto hand guns. This is proven when training with light recoiling loads.

I took him to an outdoor range where I shoot in steel matches and we set up several action steels to work on draws and fast shots while moving. I rigged up a pair of safety glasses by painting the left half with flat black paint to block the use of his left eye. His grip was instantly improved as he was holding the pistol in front of his right eye with a straight wrist. His accuracy was also measurably improved right away. The only issue was his movement was slowed by moving in the pistol course between shooting stations with only one eye. His depth perception was affected and he became dizzy.

In the end he became a much better pistol shooter by learning to shoot left handed. This allowed him to shoot with proper sight alignment using his dominant eye and to have both eyes open for better situational awareness and depth perception. The modified safety glasses work great for stationary target shooting but as mentioned above both eyes open and shooting with the same hand as the dominant eye worked best for him.

I am not an instructor but I have received instruction at a Federal Law Enforcement facility as well as a few rifle courses and one on one instruction from a professional IPSC shooter. The law enforcement facility required all shooters to train strong hand meaning to use the same hand side as there dominate eye, no exceptions. They also train support hand for back up reasons but required the holster on the strong side.