Thread: Almost disaster

Default Almost disaster

Guys, make sure when you clean your brass, dont clean small caliber handgun brass with large caliber brass.
    I had several empty .44mag cases to be tumbled and in the sake of saving a little "tumble time" i threw in several 9mm cases. Afterwards i go to de-prime my 44's and pushed the de-primer pin out of my die because there was a 9mm case down inside the 44case.
    Thank goodness I didnt pop out the primers first or I would have possibly loaded the 44 case with the 9mm inside. Not sure what would of happened but I'm assuming the 9mm case wouls have taken up space in the 44 case and caused a hig pressure load.
    I guess the best thing to do is dont de-prime before you tumble.
    Stupid mistake! lesson learned.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by fishnnut View Post
    Guys, make sure when you clean your brass, dont clean small caliber handgun brass with large caliber brass.
    I had several empty .44mag cases to be tumbled and in the sake of saving a little "tumble time" i threw in several 9mm cases. Afterwards i go to de-prime my 44's and pushed the de-primer pin out of my die because there was a 9mm case down inside the 44case.
    Thank goodness I didnt pop out the primers first or I would have possibly loaded the 44 case with the 9mm inside. Not sure what would of happened but I'm assuming the 9mm case wouls have taken up space in the 44 case and caused a hig pressure load.
    I guess the best thing to do is dont de-prime before you tumble.
    Stupid mistake! lesson learned.

I normally Tap my cases lightly against one another over my media bucket and visually inspect the inside of the case's to make sure the flash hole is clear before I move to the next stage of my reloading which is usually cleaning primer pockets. Although I think you would probably have found this round at some point in the process weather it be the fact it was over flowing with powder or the bullet not seating properly....

On the bright side! You have learned a very valuable lesson about how easy a mistake is made in reloading.And you didn't get hurt in the process! You need to inspect your brass, powder and bullets at all stages in reloading. in this hobby... Bad quality control cost fingers, eyes, guns and lives.

The most common screw up in reloading for pistols is when guys use powders that dont properly fill the case...Therefore its not as noticeable on a double charge. if your running a progressive and you pull that handle you need to remember....That powder throw just did something. Im glad you didn't get hurt...And from now on stay alert

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh the joys of digging 9 mm or 40 S&W brass out of 454Casulls when they are packed with media. Same with 223 and 45-70 Govt. Kind of a 'live and learn' to figger out what brass to tumble in mixed batches.

Use small mesh bags in the tumbler to keep 'em separated. That way you can deprime prior to tumbling and lessen the possibility of cases within cases.
    Here's an example of some, but they're just glorified hair nets for those of us that don't work places where we would get free hair nets.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/618...-package-of-12

Had the same thing happen to me last night. My dad bought some 45-70 brass from a guy at work and gave it to me, when resizing and popping the primers had a case get hung up. Thought it was media, so I knocked it out and tried again, still stuck, then looked inside the die and a 9mm case was stuck in there. Started looking at the other cases and found 4 more 9mm, and 2 357mag cases, so beware when buying brass used.

Good warning for all...we're always learning aren't we gentlemen? Our handloading hobby/passion has it's dangers for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Good warning for all...we're always learning aren't we gentlemen? Our handloading hobby/passion has it's dangers for sure.
    Yes we are Doc, that's why i do it! I was told by an old timer one time that if you didn't learn anything today, it wasn't worth getting out of bed. HAHA! I like the mesh bag idea. Does it slow down the tumble time?

Knowing that different sized cases can fit into each other and then trying to save some time and clean them both at the same time is a bad practice to do in the first place. Knowing that one case could fit inside another how did you expect to get all the cases completely clean? Don't take this wrong but you are apparently a novice reloader, we were all there, but after tumbling it is important to take each case and holding it upside down tap it to get the last of the media out. "If" there was a case inside a case you would know it right then. Next visually inspect each case after you tumble them for splits and indications of possible head separation. Once you get more time under your belt you will know when a case feels heavier than another. After you charge each case do a visual, especially with pistol cases, to make sure you didn't double charge a case or miss a charge in a rifle case.

Default matryoshka tumbling sessions

I like the mesh bag idea. Does it slow down the tumble time?
    I'm one of those guys that runs the tumbler all day in the garage while I'm at work, so for me it makes no difference in outcome. I know I'm running it longer than necessary to begin with. Somehow I usually seem to have more clean brass quantity than my reloading sessions can worth through, so manage to stay ahead of the game.
    So.. couldn't tell ya.
    tl;dr -I think it's one of those classic YMMV situations.