Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Atv hunting gear

Default Atv hunting gear

Here's what I'm looking at. I will be accompanying/guiding 2 guys that just acquired their residency on a tier 1 hunt along with a week long moose hunt in August and September.

I have used the search functions of the site but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for so figured I'd start a new thread.

I am wanting to give these guys a gear list for these atv based hunts but don't know what exactly to tell them.

Hunting from atv's seems to be glorified backpack hunting with the limited amount of space one will have to carry gear. While lightweight items are necessary like backpacking the amount of room available to store gear on the atv and trailer will is limited compared to car camping or float hunts.

While gear lists have been beat to death , what would be a good atv specific gear list to give these guys?

Limited? I have hauled massive amounts of gear into the back country with a quad and a meat trailer! We usually eat scrambled eggs with potatoes and bacon for breakfast and carry a huge marine ice chest in along with a foding table and colman stove. Camp chairs, cots, BIG tents, stoves or heaters, several big tarps, a screen room... I didn't buy wheelers to have a bare bones camp!

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    Here's what I'm looking at. I will be accompanying/guiding 2 guys that just acquired their residency on a tier 1 hunt along with a week long moose hunt in August and September.

I have used the search functions of the site but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for so figured I'd start a new thread.

I am wanting to give these guys a gear list for these atv based hunts but don't know what exactly to tell them.

Hunting from atv's seems to be glorified backpack hunting with the limited amount of space one will have to carry gear. While lightweight items are necessary like backpacking the amount of room available to store gear on the atv and trailer will is limited compared to car camping or float hunts.

While gear lists have been beat to death , what would be a good atv specific gear list to give these guys?
    Hmm, you'll be "guiding" two guys on a caribou hunt, but you aren't sure what gear they need....doesn't instill a whole lot of confidence.

If you are going in without trailers then consider it a backpack hunt, but bring ATV repair gear and frozen real food in a small cooler. If towing a trailer then its a truck based hunt, but with a limited load rating.

If you have trailers, then bring a table of some kind. Makes it really handy for cooking and food prep.
    Extra tarps and poles if you will be mostly treeless in your spot.

As LuJon says, bring what ever you want or think you will need. However, the more stuff you bring in, and then tag out on game, the more stuff you have to bring out and may need two trips to get everything out.

I have all my gear I have the knowledge of what is needed when an animal is downed. What I am asking is the kind of gear list to give them. The only thing on here seems to be float hunt lists, sheep hunt lists, nothing atv specific.

I myself will have only been atv hunting for three years now as funds have finally come through, and yes could use some help as to what to take. Never said I wasn't here to learn, wouldn't have asked if I wasn't. Oh well.

Thanks for the doubt though ill take all comments

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    If you are going in without trailers then consider it a backpack hunt, but bring ATV repair gear and frozen real food in a small cooler. If towing a trailer then its a truck based hunt, but with a limited load rating.

If you have trailers, then bring a table of some kind. Makes it really handy for cooking and food prep.
    Extra tarps and poles if you will be mostly treeless in your spot.

As LuJon says, bring what ever you want or think you will need. However, the more stuff you bring in, and then tag out on game, the more stuff you have to bring out and may need two trips to get everything out.
    That's what I was think was anything goes to an extent of how it all packs down.

How the atv handles pulling a trailer through mud is my only concern so far.

I have all my gear I have the knowledge of what is needed when an animal is downed. What I am asking is the kind of gear list to give them. The only thing on here seems to be float hunt lists, sheep hunt lists, nothing atv specific.

I myself will have only been atv hunting for three years now as funds have finally come through, and yes could use some help as to what to take. Never said I wasn't here to learn, wouldn't have asked if I wasn't. Oh well.

Thanks for the doubt though ill take all comments
    Are you looking for a list that is only geared towards the atv aspect of the hunt - i.e. pump/patch kit for tires, extra winch rope, etc?

Or are you looking for an entire hunting list - i.e. 2 pairs of socks, 2 rolls of TP, first aid kit, knife sharpener, etc.?

I think I may have a list on home computer somewhere that lists everything I tend to take.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    Are you looking for a list that is only geared towards the atv aspect of the hunt - i.e. pump/patch kit for tires, extra winch rope, etc?

Or are you looking for an entire hunting list - i.e. 2 pairs of socks, 2 rolls of TP, first aid kit, knife sharpener, etc.?

I think I may have a list on home computer somewhere that lists everything I tend to take.
    That list sounds like it would be exactly what I'm looking for to give these guys.

I take all of my backpacking stuff but replace the minimalist UL stuff with heavier versions... Then I add the cushy stuff! Instead of my down mummy I take my big roomy synthetic, The little tents stay home and the big SL8 makes the ride. The jetboil may go for day trips away from camp but in general the cooking is done on a coleman stove. The NeoAir stays home and the camp cot goes. Almost no mountain house except for a couple for day trips on foot. My big tripod goes instead of the short UL one. My sheep list is my bare bones list so pretty much all the items on it only more comfortable versions when possible + everything I have ever wished for when fogged in on the side of a mountain!

When I am out on an atv hunt, pretty much the only thing that changes is I bring along real food and more booze to enjoy in the evening by the campfire. You still gotta get back with your animal and bringing your blow up beds and dolls is just ridiculous. If you have the right camping/packing gear, there really isn't much need to change from a back pack hunt to an atv hunt. You would already have a quality sleeping pad and sleeping bag., etc. Of course you could bring a large tarp to set up in case it rains, etc. I see guys unload their wheelers with the kitchen sink and just laugh. I like comfort, but when I see camps like that, most are "highly" unsuccessful and are just "campers" in my mind. I always enjoyed driving by those camps with my meat and antlers while they are sitting by their fire talking about how there aren't any critters around! But that is just my opinion.

How the atv handles pulling a trailer through mud is my only concern so far.
    Depending on the axle design, it will have less ground clearence and it will suck if your ATV starts to bog down pulling the barge.

Bring a snatch block pulley and some short end loop straps. You can make those from old tie down webbing using bowline or figure 8 knots in each end. No need for a sewn rated sling for hoisting loads. Make sure you have a couple shackles to hook it all up.

Make sure a couple guys have boots for knee deep mud while riding. Plan ahead and it will make the problems in a mud hole go better.

I would lean towards having separate lists for each activity. A wheeler list. A food list. Camping list. You get my drift I'm sure. These could later be combined in to one list if needed.
    Definately each guy should have a decent pack for trekking in to places the wheelers won't go and getting animals back to the wheelers if needed.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I generally send a buddy ahead with the little Yamaha Kodiak and let them find all the bad spots so I can avoid them with the big cat and my meat trailer. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and pick the line that has the best winch point knowing you are going to get stuck.

Chainsaw, comealong, and loppers are required gear for our wheeler hunts. If you're carrying your camp with you, probably want to stick to the backpacking stuff, for the most part. Put a cooler on the front and back racks, and stuff your gear in em; keeps everything dry and mud-free. Save the trailer space for meat.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Buy a 300 dollar super winch!!!!!!! Colaplable shovel. And 60 dollar folding sand anchor.... They can be found at most boat shops and you can winch off of them if you have no trees around.... Jumper pack and or jumper cables..... Very small bottle jack.... Either and by cycle pump. Decide on a hunt stratagem

One thing to keep in mind is 'how much' stuff you are taking in. When the wife and I go in on 4 wheelers with a trailer, the wheelers are empty going in. That means that everything is in the trailer. when we get game and need to haul out the meat, the meat goes 'inside' the trailer and the gear goes on the wheelers. We have seen so many wheelers go in that are over loaded and wonder where they are going to put meat for the trip out. As far as gear goes, just consider it a 'heavy' back packing trip.
    How far are you plannnig on going in and where are you looking to go?

Just the start of my list no where near done yet, still have about 5 more sections to cover. Also looks a lot more organized in a word document

Gear List Draft 1

Sleeping Gear:

1. Sleeping bag- temperatures could dip into the teens, synthetic fill is also preferable
    a. Option 1: 0 degree bag or better
    b. Option 2: 20 degree bag with a liner
    2. Cot- better than sleeping on the ground and will be easily packed on the four wheelers.
    3. Sleeping Pad- to either lay on the ground or on your cot for the insulation from the ground/cold air.
    4. Air Pad- small inflatable air mattress for added comfort, these can be bulky. (optional)
    5. Pillow- you can find very compactable pillows, but I will probably just use extra jackets/sweatshirts.(optional)
    6. Liner- previously mentioned above, can increase comfort of your sleeping bag as well as well as adding up to 10 degrees to the bags rating.(optional)
    7. Stuff Sacks- keeps gear easier to pack.

Shelter:

1. Tent- I will bring a large 6 man tent that could sleep all of us.
    2. Poles
    3. Rain Fly
    4. Parachute Cord- for tying the rain fly down in windy conditions.
    5. Stakes
    6. Storage tent- I will also bring a small backpacking style tent that we can store gear in.
    7. Tarp- for miscellaneous gear storage out of the weather.

Survival:

1. Leatherman/multi-tool- this tool is also invaluable on the trail.
    2. Matches- it is good to store these in a small container with a seal like a prescription bottle.
    3. Lighter
    4. Compass
    5. Water purifier- iodine drops can be gross, but the taste is minimized with small kool-aid or something like that packets.
    6. Bug Dope
    7. Fine Mesh Head Net- also invaluable in my opinion.
    8. Space blanket
    9. Rations- high calorie bars are good for these
    10. Nalgene Water Bottle- used to obviously carry your purified water, but could also be used as a waterproof container for all of the above items.
    11. Satellite Phone- will have one on all of our trips.

Hunting:

1. License- won’t be leaving town without this one.
    2. Tags/Permits- Same as above, also good to keep these two items in a waterproof container such as a Ziploc.
    3. Rifle
    4. Scope- detachable scope rings
    5. Ammo- at least 20 rounds
    6. Targets- in case we need to check your zero in the field.
    7. Binoculars- eye relief could be the difference between success and failure. Something in the 8x42 to 12x50.
    8. Spotting Scope- 20-60x60 is what I will be bringing along, we should only need the one.
    9. Tripod- for spotting scope, camera, and even a rifle rest
    10. Pack Frame- I will have three available including my own, but would be good to get in the future.
    11. Day Pack- good for carrying everything need for field dressing downed game.
    12. Knifes- several knives are a must
    13. Knife Sharpener
    14. Bone saw- used for taking the horns off as well as the ribcage.
    15. Tarp- a good 10x10 tarp for putting quarters and meat on while cleaning.
    16. Parachute cord- can be used for tying game bags to packs or holding legs while skinning.
    17. Maps.
    18. Latex gloves- you can also buy some more heavy duty gloves used by fishing guides.
    19. Surveyors tape- used for marking our trail along with marking where the animal is.
    20. Game Bags- 4 big and 3 small
    21. Foam Pad- nice to sit on, closed cell pad is best as they stay dry easier.(optional)
    22. Thermacell- great for keeping the bugs away while cleaning game or glassing.(optional)
    23. Bull Magnet- moose call, great for amplifying sound.

Meat Care:

1. Citric Acid- sprayed on the meat for various reasons of preservation
    2. Hunting Regs
    3. Parachute Cord- multiple uses here.
    4. Tarp- keeps things off the ground and by doing so keeps them cleaner.
    5. Sharpie- to mark game bags
    6. Game Bags- already in your day pack, but upwards of 9 game bags for moose may be necessary.

First Aid Kit:

1. Ace bandages- 2 each
    2. Band-aids- both large and small.
    3. Aspirin/Ibuprofen
    4. Chap-stick- life saver some trips.
    5. Allergy Medicine
    6. Cotton Swabs
    7. Surgical Tape
    8. Gauze- 1 roll each
    9. Mole Skin
    10. Scissors
    11. Super Glue
    12. Tweezers
    13. Antibacterial Soap/Towels

Just the start of my list no where near done yet, still have about 5 more sections to cover. Also looks a lot more organized in a word document

Gear List Draft 1

Sleeping Gear:

1. Sleeping bag- temperatures could dip into the teens, synthetic fill is also preferable
    a. Option 1: 0 degree bag or better
    b. Option 2: 20 degree bag with a liner
    2. Cot- better than sleeping on the ground and will be easily packed on the four wheelers.
    3. Sleeping Pad- to either lay on the ground or on your cot for the insulation from the ground/cold air.
    4. Air Pad- small inflatable air mattress for added comfort, these can be bulky. (optional)
    5. Pillow- you can find very compactable pillows, but I will probably just use extra jackets/sweatshirts.(optional)
    6. Liner- previously mentioned above, can increase comfort of your sleeping bag as well as well as adding up to 10 degrees to the bags rating.(optional)
    7. Stuff Sacks- keeps gear easier to pack.

Shelter:

1. Tent- I will bring a large 6 man tent that could sleep all of us.
    2. Poles
    3. Rain Fly
    4. Parachute Cord- for tying the rain fly down in windy conditions.
    5. Stakes
    6. Storage tent- I will also bring a small backpacking style tent that we can store gear in.
    7. Tarp- for miscellaneous gear storage out of the weather.

Survival:

1. Leatherman/multi-tool- this tool is also invaluable on the trail.
    2. Matches- it is good to store these in a small container with a seal like a prescription bottle.
    3. Lighter
    4. Compass
    5. Water purifier- iodine drops can be gross, but the taste is minimized with small kool-aid or something like that packets.
    6. Bug Dope
    7. Fine Mesh Head Net- also invaluable in my opinion.
    8. Space blanket
    9. Rations- high calorie bars are good for these
    10. Nalgene Water Bottle- used to obviously carry your purified water, but could also be used as a waterproof container for all of the above items.
    11. Satellite Phone- will have one on all of our trips.

Hunting:

1. License- won’t be leaving town without this one.
    2. Tags/Permits- Same as above, also good to keep these two items in a waterproof container such as a Ziploc.
    3. Rifle
    4. Scope- detachable scope rings
    5. Ammo- at least 20 rounds
    6. Targets- in case we need to check your zero in the field.
    7. Binoculars- eye relief could be the difference between success and failure. Something in the 8x42 to 12x50.
    8. Spotting Scope- 20-60x60 is what I will be bringing along, we should only need the one.
    9. Tripod- for spotting scope, camera, and even a rifle rest
    10. Pack Frame- I will have three available including my own, but would be good to get in the future.
    11. Day Pack- good for carrying everything need for field dressing downed game.
    12. Knifes- several knives are a must
    13. Knife Sharpener
    14. Bone saw- used for taking the horns off as well as the ribcage.
    15. Tarp- a good 10x10 tarp for putting quarters and meat on while cleaning.
    16. Parachute cord- can be used for tying game bags to packs or holding legs while skinning.
    17. Maps.
    18. Latex gloves- you can also buy some more heavy duty gloves used by fishing guides.
    19. Surveyors tape- used for marking our trail along with marking where the animal is.
    20. Game Bags- 4 big and 3 small
    21. Foam Pad- nice to sit on, closed cell pad is best as they stay dry easier.(optional)
    22. Thermacell- great for keeping the bugs away while cleaning game or glassing.(optional)
    23. Bull Magnet- moose call, great for amplifying sound.

Meat Care:

1. Citric Acid- sprayed on the meat for various reasons of preservation
    2. Hunting Regs
    3. Parachute Cord- multiple uses here.
    4. Tarp- keeps things off the ground and by doing so keeps them cleaner.
    5. Sharpie- to mark game bags
    6. Game Bags- already in your day pack, but upwards of 9 game bags for moose may be necessary.

First Aid Kit:

1. Ace bandages- 2 each
    2. Band-aids- both large and small.
    3. Aspirin/Ibuprofen
    4. Chap-stick- life saver some trips.
    5. Allergy Medicine
    6. Cotton Swabs
    7. Surgical Tape
    8. Gauze- 1 roll each
    9. Mole Skin
    10. Scissors
    11. Super Glue
    12. Tweezers
    13. Antibacterial Soap/Towels
    Thanks man! i would only recommend adding a GPS and making POSITIVE everyone has weather proof hard copy maps (topographical) and TWO compasses.... extra batteries and 2 way radios... and since your on ATVS a small (gerber maybe) axe... and i know you can get a poulan SMALL chain saw for under 100 bucks at wallmart... Zip lock baggies, WD-40 starting fluid.. trash bags....

Add a set of brush nippers/clippers/shears. You can clear a camp site or a butchering site, and snip the ribs of a moose if need be. They make sets with extendable handles, but these are usually fiberglass and once extended all the way can present a flexing/breaking issue.

All back country travelers should have a fire kit in their day pack: ferro fire steel, butane lighter, cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly (a tube of P-jelly lip balm or chapstick works). They also need to know how to use it.

Each day pack needs a survival blanket like the SOL brand and not the simple/tiny foil ones - they tear while unwrapping so they can be useless in seconds.

If you have detachable rings does your rifle have open sights?

Rain gear that can survive heavy brush.

Trash bags....get the heavy duty contractor bags, and everyone has at lease two in their day packs.

Going to be in the woods? Smallish axe? Smallish chain saw? I've bought a Stihl MS 192, from Alaska Specialty Equipment, for taking to the cabin and later for fly in or float/boat hunting; it weighs less than 10 lbs with a quart of mixed fuel that should last all of a hunt. LOVE IT! A chain saw and an axe sure can make some firewood in a hurry, and there is nothing better at camp than a fire - unless you are having to saw it up by hand.

Light weight aluminum chairs or stools - I never leave home without one. I imported two small chairs that I got from Gander Mountain in Texas to have at our cabin - 3 lbs each. I also have the little Roll-a-stools - 1 lbs each. My back hurts too much to sit around on the ground all the time, especially when booting up.

TP????

Cooking????? What stove are you going to use?

Going to be around a stream? Lightweight fishing gear??

How about a little propane lantern?

Just some food for thought.

Good luck, and really don't mention you are "guiding"; some trooper will make your life miserable. You and some new friends out hunting, that's probably more along the line of what you are doing, right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast