Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Differant Parties Hunting the same Animal

Default 2 Differant Parties Hunting the same Animal

Have not seen nor did I find a thread on this but was curious if any of you had been on a hunt where you
    find that you and your party are hunting a Moose or Bear and found that another person or party was
    hunting the same animal? If so how did you deal with it? Is there a protocal or rule on this?
    Was it a "haha" let's flip a coin? or a I was here first!, This has been my area for years! ?
    It would be neat to see differant scenarios and how they came out.
    If we all agreed....this would be no fun

Quote Originally Posted by tabmarine View Post
    Have not seen nor did I find a thread on this but was curious if any of you had been on a hunt where you
    find that you and your party are hunting a Moose or Bear and found that another person or party was
    hunting the same animal? If so how did you deal with it? Is there a protocal or rule on this?
    Was it a "haha" let's flip a coin? or a I was here first!, This has been my area for years! ?
    It would be neat to see differant scenarios and how they came out.
    I would say that typically it would be mostly a first-come-first-served thing. Whoever is the first one to get the opportunity to shoot would have priority.

I have never really gotten into a situation where we had to coordinate our hunting with another group for a specific animal before. Usually, we go places where we are not in any kind of close proximity to others. When we have been somewhat nearby, the most we have done is, as the later arrival to an area, figured out what general region the other party was going to spend most of their time in and opting to go in the other direction so we didn't interfere with each other. We may have been targeting the same species (caribou for example), but never looking specifically for the same animal.

The ethical thing to do is the non-resident leave the area.

Sheep is an easy one to get into that with. I just watch if the other guy is closer and making a stalk. I did have a buddy getting ready to drop a nice bull moose in a swamp a few years back. Just before he pulled the trigger the bull dropped like a ton of bricks and a moment later he heard the report of a rifle. Turns out he wasn't the only one hunting that particular swamp.

This happens on road and near road hunts. The Tier 1 caribou hunting along the Denali can have stuff like this happen often for the people hunting from their truck or on their ATV on the road or a trail off the road. A herd is roaming around several hundered yards off the road and it can become mayhem as more and more trucks show up. I have seen people run out to "be first" on a herd and then they think about how to get the meat back to the road through the swamp they just ran into the middle of.

Outside of that scenario it does not happen often, but may happen more often with sheep hunting in some areas that have easier access for ankle drive hunters. It can happen to spot and stalk black bear hunters on the highways, but that is rare.

It happened to me on black bear in PWS. We spotted a black bear, got to shore and started a stalk. Meanwhile another boat had also spotted the bear from way down the coast and they too got to shore and started a stalk. When I saw them and realized we were both after the same bear, they were closer so I just went in another direction to find another bear. Which we did. Only time that has ever happened to me.

This has happend a few times to me when hunting deer, but really only for day hunts, you talk and come up with a "I go this way and you go this way" plan.

Years ago when I was a Kid 2 friends and I went out on open day for Mule Deer in Colorado and we dropped a doe and were dragging her out. Over the hill comes 2 more does and a small buck. Well I quickly drop the buck and then all hell breaks loose when a guy on a ridge drops both does and reshoots my buck. Want to see a 16 year old get real excited?

Last time I hunted that area.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Drop Camps and Float Hunts
    Kotz 907-259-4290

Two years ago my buddy and I spotted two nice bull moose. Went after them and ended up shooting a 57". On my way back to camp to get a meat trailer, I met a guy on the trail. He said "Nice shot." I asked where he was. He said he was on the ridge right next, out of our sight, to us. We spotted the bulls at the same time. He said he went after them also but saw us ahead of him on the trail so he stopped. He said he was going to go after the other one. I told him that our kill site was marked with orange tape so that he wouldn't shoot in our direction. We saw the other bull while dressing our moose. My buddy had an opportunity to shoot it but didn't knowing the other guy was looking for it.

Happened to me a few times, First and foremost If I see anyone else hunting in an area I'm in I simply find a new area to hunt. I don't need to get shot at by someone not paying attention or that simply didn't know I was there.

One time I was out in PWS and had dropped buddies off on opposite ends of a promising looking beach, They would both sit and glass from shore while I kept the boat off the beach and the kids occupied. First shot and we would all converge on the successful hunter to skin and start processing. After about an hour another boat came up and appeared to be glassing the beach and fiddling with fishing gear. Then they lowered a dingy and started heading to one end of the beach. Numerous hails on radio went unanswered so I went over to find out their intentions. They had spotted a bear on one end of the beach back at the tree line and asked If I was claiming dibbs. I explained there was already someone on that end of the beach who was probably already watching/stalking it and any shots they fired that direction would be potentially unsafe since I didn't know exactly where my friend was but I knew he was close to where they had spotted the bear because that was where i had told him to be glassing. They cussed me for "trying to lock up" promising hunting areas but loaded up and left to find another bear. Half an hour went by and nothing..... another half hour goes by and my friend comes walking down the beach. I asked him what had happened and why he didn't shoot the bear? He asked me what bear? Turns out the idiot had gotten into a nice comfortable position to glass from and promptly fell asleep! He woke up when a hummingbird zipped past his face and he thought he was being abducted by aliens! That was the last time I ever took him out.....
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Two seperate incidents, two seperate outcomes. First was harvesting caribou out of King Salmon, while traveling in on the trail, noticed a sizable herd coming toward us. Stopped, set up for the shot and dropped a nice middle aged bull, of course at the same time we shot, so did another group who unleashed a small army on them. Walked over to my bull and was met by a rather foul smelling guy using alcohol as aiming fluid claiming I was on his animal....I let him have the 'bou. Went a few more miles and shot a monster bull.

Years later we were on a flyout and while watching a 50+ inch bull noticed another guys trotting toward it using his rifle as a spoting scope. We were off to the races and eventually flagged him off and dropped the bull. Not only were we staying on our side of the lake to hunt, but we had respected their area which was seeing quite a few caribou on a daily basis. Guess he wanted to know what we were doing and decided to take a walk. Come to think of it, we should have let him drop it, the entertainment would have been watching him pack it all the way back.

Once here on Kodiak last fall. I stalked down a shot a nice buck at about 200yds. Halfway up the hill to him I turned around to get a view and saw 2 guys in the woods on a small ridge. I waved, then realized that they were stalking on the same animal when I drilled him.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    The ethical thing to do is the non-resident leave the area.
    Funniest quote of the year right there.

ive had this happen three times. blacktail in the or cascades. rocky mtn elk in eastern or and moose on the kenai. hopefully that's a lifetime quota!

Way more than once.......

Then again, we know everone whos out hunting, 'cept come sept.

Ettiquitte is in place here; Eldersd and beginners get first dibs. If were camping out on Caribou trails, we hunt as we arrived, first come, first go at em. Same for a Black Bear

If its fur, whoever shoots or traps it gets it.

If its a Whale or Walrus, first strike gets the first strikes choice (its always a team hunt for such) and divided as is a well known division on these animals. I dont hunt or strike them, but I do help out at the camps and butcher spots and get a share as well. This also applies to Brown Bears, as sometimes they are big, difficult and sometimes require more than one person to manage allthe weight.

The most sucessfull Hunters here will allow others to chase what ever before they do. Fact is, too, that a Hunter here is a much honored provider, and teaching others to prvoide for themselfs is more so an elevation in the social doings of a Great Hunter..........to allow another to chase and catch an animal there before them is consitterd shareing. The really good hunter would surely have caught whatever it was, and will offr it over to someone not so skilled , and if the other guy cant get 'er done, the better Hunter will finnish the job and talk it over for a better sucess next time, as he skins and packs his sled, the lesser Hunter will learn alot!! ~~LOL!!~~..... ,so often, up this way, you will see two hunters glassing an animals and each insisting he other make the catch....as he who remaines is acknowlaged the better Hunter, even among just two men, and some wont budge......and if that dont work, one of them will strike up a wager, and then you best stay outta the way and watch the action!!! ~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Not quite the same thing but close..

In 2005 I was hunting in the Lower Canyon of the Noatak just below the Napp Creek portage when my partner spots a big group of caribou moving through the trees across from one of the big islands. We cranked the Hughes Craft around and headed down river to get ahead of them. Just about that time we ran into a boat load of guys dumping an AR clip on some seals that were chasing some late Chums. Had to sit and wait while these clowns rattled off 20-30 rounds to no avail. Those seals are smart!

After the guys left in frustration we landed the boat and proceeded to look for the bou. Took about an hour but the group was huge! We had dozens of fat bulls walking right over the top of us and we took 2 at less than 10 yards! Dang scope was useless! Poor guys traded seals for Bulls!

Walt

Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Drop Camps and Float hunts
    Unit 23-Kotz
    Attached Images Attached Images

This has happened to me three times. On two different sheep hunts in the alaska range and a bison hunt in delta. All three times I let the other hunters have them even though on one of the sheep and the bison we were both about equally into our stalks. I never want to ruin a hunt with an argument over an animal so I will always just walk away although just having the situation occur has a definite negative effect on the hunt. For this very reason I always seek out hunt areas where it is very unlikely anyone else is hunting. I usually do this by paying for expensive fly in hunts. This tactic really doesn't work for sheep anymore in all the areas I know of as everywhere I go there is always competition so I have just quit hunting sheep. Not worth it to me.

I was chasin a caribou once in a nasty storm and walking around a small pond and noticed on the other side of the pond there was a brown bear stalking the same critter... I just kept one eye on each till the brown got my wind...

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I have never really gotten into a situation where we had to coordinate our hunting with another group for a specific animal before.
    You want to see a show, go up to the Haul Rd around Aug-Sept. Watching those arrow-flingers is pretty funny. I've seen so many blown stalk from people driving up and skidding to a halt and running straight after the caribou that 3-4 people are already stalking
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Quote Originally Posted by PacWestFishTaxidermy View Post
    Funniest quote of the year right there.
    +1 on that
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast