Thread: Anyone Know Who Was Doing Winter King Combos Last Year for $150.00?

Default Anyone Know Who Was Doing Winter King Combos Last Year for $150.00?

I saw an ad last year but I cannot find it now. Someone was doing Homer Winter King trips with Halibut option for $175.00 per person (2 minimum). Looking to take a full day trip for at least two between March 16-21. Thanks for any tips or info.

I think there was a guy that advertised on AOJ last year, Driftwood charters sounds right.

Dude... Be careful with the discount charter seen... You get what you pay for... all say no more..

I wouldn't let my DOG go out on that boat! Not a chance!

Thanks everyone.

I was thinking about winter charters out of homer to learn the ropes. Without being specific to this charter, could anyone tell me the difference between a good charter and a bad one? I'm a lifer Alaskan that is considering a charter to help me with my private fishing.

So why is one charter better than the other? I guess I'm looking to see who I can learn from the most!

Thanks!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    guidesak.blogspot.com- personal blog (I'm not a guide)
    AlaskaKayakFisher.com - Page about kayak fishing Southcentral Alaska
    http://www.youtube.com/guidesak - My youtube channel

I've been on bargain charters that turned out good,but most not so good.But the reason the guys I know charge a little more is the catch rate.They know how/were to catch fish and work there arse off trying to.I've found out like most things you really do get what you pay for!

Daniels charter fishing down in homer is a great guy to go with,I really want to get down there soon and go fishing to!

Yes, Daniels is good and really nice people. Only issue with learning from the charters is having a floater that will fit u where they fish. Daniels stays fairly close most of the time, and they have great early season rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    (sic)

So why is one charter better than the other? I guess I'm looking to see who I can learn from the most!

Thanks!!!!
    I'll relay some stories from friends and co-workers as to why some charters are better than others. I'll compare what you want to those who got something less than desired.

A good well maintained boat. I've heard of several stories of fishing trips that ended up drifting on the seas when the engine gave up the ghost.

Quality well maintained tackly. I've heard stories of fish lost when the "captain" was too cheap to put on a full fresh spool of line and his splice not failed, same goes for not cutting off line when it's been frayed from running agains other line.

Knowing where the fish are, most of the ocean doesn't hold fish and hot spots aren't hot day in day out. It's more than just having spots saved on gps, it's knowing what structure holds fish and how to read the sonar, this is what sepperates the men from the boys.

Putting in the effort. Some days you hit one spot and everybody loads up. Other days you have to put in the mileage. I've had a trip where the boat went to one spot and didn't move all day. Ok when the fishing is good, but if the bite never picks up, you best try another spot.

Time on the water and in business. If a guys been on the water for 10 and 20 years and has a good boat and gear odds are he's been doing something right and knows how to get fish consistantly. This doesn't always hold for the larger outfits with multiple boats.

Word of mouth. The good guides are well known, just ask around and you shouldn't have a problem getting hooked up with a good boat. Just be willing to book well in advance as the good boats are book up early.

Finally the difference between a good guide and not so good guide is the difference between a fishing trip and a boating trip.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

As much as I fish, I rarely charter and when I do it has for the most part been with a personal friend of mine. I must just be lucky because I've only questioned one charter I've taken and the owner made it right and had a really good discussion with me afterwards.

I will ask those questions. I think I am just going to have to call them all if I decide to go. I would be fairly selective about gear and as an example if I could use my own. My expectations are to learn the fishery, not necessarily catch fish though obviously that validates to a degree the boat and captain's "fishiness". I have a few theories I want to try. I think it would really be telling if I could fish a few of my set ups side by side with someone who makes a living off of catching kings.

If I do get around to it, I will certainly post the process and the results! thanks everyone!
    guidesak.blogspot.com- personal blog (I'm not a guide)
    AlaskaKayakFisher.com - Page about kayak fishing Southcentral Alaska
    http://www.youtube.com/guidesak - My youtube channel

I was not talking about Driftwood charters they are a very good outfit.
    Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    I wouldn't let my DOG go out on that boat! Not a chance!