Thread: HUnting DM333

Default HUnting DM333

After almost 30 years I finally drew a tag I am as happy as can be. I have called Fish and Game amd the BLM about access to the area. I have hunted in Alaska for 33 years and do not want to waste a drawing tag, let alone a chance at a winter meat supply. Has anyone hunted the area lately and would be willing to tell a little about their experience. You can PM if you like to keep it private, I would like to know about the trail conditions when you went into the unit. I am not looking for a secret spot just trail conditions and what trails you used to access and hunt the area. I will be taking my 24 year old son and my 16 year old daughter just want to be prepared

Thanks

Take extra parts for those wheelers or whatever you take... You have to go 25miles before you even hit dm333 boundary!

Thanks 323 You are talking about the Swede Lake Trail correct? I do try to be prepared (cannot predict everything though). I knew it could be difficult when I put in for it. I will be making at least one mid summer trip into the area to check it out. I am trying to figure the trail conditions form those who have used them in the past.

Your reply is a good heads up again thanks

I went in 2 years ago on the Middle Fork Trail. It starts at a gravel pit along the Richardson Hwy just south of Meiers Lake, and crosses the Gulkana River near the confluence of the West Fork and the Paxson Lake outlet.
    Most of the trail before the river was easy going - a few slick spots, and a water hole about 3' deep. The water hole did have a hard bottom.
    Shortly after the river crossing, you'll come to a pretty nasty section of trail that lasts for about 1/2 mile, then gets good again. I headed south and crossed 12 Mile Creek. There were a few times that the trail became to sloppy for my rig and I had to use my winch, but overall not too bad.
    Check the Gulkana River hydrology report and weather forcast before you go. I crossed on a Polaris 6x6, and my partner was on a Yamaha Grizzly. We had to fight bobbing downstream when we crossed, and it wasn't a high water year. I recommend scouting as many options as you have time to before the season.

Good luck!

John,
    Are you going to go down the Swede lake trail this year?
    Wally bought a Polaris so you two have have a mechanics party.
    We should go there this spring and sclack a few brown bears
    dominic

I misspoke... The Middle Fork Trail crosses the Gulkana near the confluence of the Middle Fork, and the Paxson Lake outlet. Maybe that's why they call it the Middle Fork Trail ????

Thanks sightseer

I was wondering about both the crossing of the Gulkana and the trail problems. I am going in on snow machine this weekend or next if there is enough snow and I can cross the river. I plan on going in on 4 wheeler at least one if not twice this summer before season. You have helped me to be prepared which is why I posted. Thanks again.

I took pictures from a plane when we scouted it 2 yrs ago. Will try to send you some. Very disappointing hunt. Hundreds upon hundreds of hunters. Every possible spotting knob had a camp on it. Lots of broken rigs. Our machines were not quite up to getting us past about 30 miles. Hope you have better luck.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Thanks Mkay

I would love to see the pictures. PM me with them when you get the chance.

From a plane in July those trails sure looked dry...mistake.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

What about floating the Gulkana and hunting the western side of the river? Anybody ever have any luck?

Can you access the southern part of DM333 with a jet boat?

FBMeeds

I have a friend that floats from Paxton lake down to the take out at the Sourdough Controlled Use Area. He has had some luck. They have tagged a couple spike forks. In 5 years of floating it. Jet boats are able to go only to the falls I believe . It is a wild and scenic river so there are restrictions but not sure if they limit the use of jet boats at that time of year. You might want to check on that.