Thread: E-Collars

Default E-Collars

I'm looking at picking up an e-collar for my lab. She does very well around the house and in the yard but once we go out into the field her obedience is less than stellar. The same goes for when we are out hiking.

Does anyone have any experience with an e-collar that works as a proximity collar? I'm looking for something that I can use to keep her close when hiking and for hunting.

Any suggestions? Your advice is much appreciated!

Yes love my Tri Tronics Sportsmans basic. Simple to use and does it's job.
    This willl work to keep her close. it might take one to two hits by the colloar but she will get the point. CAUTION start out to lowest setting. You just want it to get her attention. Not to the point where it can freak her out and she will freeze up.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Mine is set at 1 (each dog is differnt) and when I hit the button, I can see his ear twitch.

I hit the continues button when I give a command. As soon as Duke gives me the response I wanted I let off the button.
    This takes a few times.

First I would get the spike collar and work with her this way. Once you get her to understand the commands then go to the E collar to re enforce what you taught her to heal and here commands.
    Just some ideas
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I don't know of any that work as a proximity collar. You have to control it yourself. If you buy one, collar condition your dog to the commands like the Lardy collar conditioning tape does. I'm not familiar enough with other methods to spout off much about them except the Dobbs system which I've used. It's harder on the dog than the Lardy system.

From what I understand an invisible fence works when the dog get's close to an underground wire that is hooked up to a system. It's not something that can be used when hiking around.

Sounds like you need to work on her stellar field obedience and in my opinion that starts with a check cord and progresses to a e-collar once commands are known. As far as a collar, I like the Tri tronics Pro 100 G3. I really like the 3 continous levels of stim at your finger tips with out needing to look at any dials. What are your plans for her field search and hunting dead? Have fun and take your time. Don
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

Really, the area I have the most difficulty with are when she retrieves a duck. She likes to stop and shake on a curvacious retrieval. She knows to bring the duck to me, she just does it on her time.

The 2nd area that I have difficulty with is when out hiking, she will take off and explore and take her time responding to calls.

The check cord could be a great idea, I've never heard of one. A long time friend once mentioned he had a proximity collar that he used to keep his dog close while hiking. Unfortunately, he is no longer available as a resource.

Hmm....am e collar wont correct any of those problems. As far as her coming out of the water then shaking...try running away from her as she brings the bird back, then before she can shake. run to her and grab the bumper. Give her a lot of praise for it a few times. If you condition her with an e collar for that problem, she will equate retrieving in water with a negative stim.

A word of caution...be very careful using e collars with dogs in water. It can really ruin them anf their desire for water work.

Just my 2 bits.
    “You touch my junk, I'm going to have you arrested.” - Groping objector

You are getting some good info on here (Howard N) and some info from some that are inexperienced. The local retriever clubs have just started a saturday morning class on training retrievers, its quite cheap and very good with experienced professional trainers giving instruction. Take a look back a few post is this and/or thw waterfowl forum and you can find all the info on it. You would be welcome to join us, or come just once and check it out without commitment. It is designed for people like you just starting, or even some advanced, in training. Your questions will be answered plus a lot more. Bud
    Wasilla

the e collar can be great tool or worst enemy...others above have mentioned that the obedience and training has to happen first for the collar to be effective and that is imperative. The dog needs to know how to turn the stimulation off and how to avoid it altogether. That takes conditioning to the e collar and showing the dog what it is expected to do. the retriever class, if they cover e collar would be good. If not, there are videos and books that describe the process and well worth reading/watching before you begin with the dog. I always advise to watch or read the entire thing so you know the whole story rather than starting out on a path and not knowing the destination.

George Hickox videos ( i have the pointing dog series, but the e collar conditioning concept is the same regardless), Jim Dobbs (tritronics) retriever training book, and Lardy's videos are three that have good detailed instruction...there are for sure others out there.

As far as collars, I have been very pleased with tritronics performance and customer service.

You might want to do some more yard work using the command "Hold" and at the point when pup looks like he will drop the bird/bumper issue the command. If one of my pointing dogs is so excited about getting back to hunting - like when they know more birds are just a short distance away and they may have seen them land - and puts a bird down on the ground, I bark out a "Fecth" command and when the dog gets to my side I reinforce the "Hold" command and maybe walk off a short distance with the dog carrying the bird. After that it's just a bunch of "Good Boy" stuff and maybe an ear rub. Then it's "Okay!" " Hunt 'em up!" and let them get back to business. Every dog is different. Best of luck.

I would revisit basics. Heeling, sitting, coming when called and etc. Doing so using a long line (check cord, rope). I do believe most of your problems come from holes in your foundation of obedience. There's an old saying "Obedience.. It's not just a ten minute drill , it's a lifetime"
    There's a lot of meaning to that. We should train for quick crisp responses to the command given.
    Now the dog that I've determined is just blowing me off. *Over time.... the dogs that Ive trained respond to the command because I told them to. *Not because I asked them to. *Dogs that know what I'm asking and how to do it they know that a correction is coming if they don't follow through. *For example. I ask my little boy to go clean his room. *But he doesn't and it takes me three to four times for me to tell him. *In my opinion that's wrong. *We have all seen dog owners parading around saying a simple command over and over. The problem is there is no follow through on the command given the first time. All this can be achieved very calmly without raising your tone or loosing your temper. Just be fair and have a good attitude.
    While you are going back through basics you then could condition your dog to the use of the ecollar to reinforce known commands.
    After obedience is redone. Then if there is still further bird issues. Force fetch will fix any mouth or delivery problems.
    Let me know if I can further help.

Quote Originally Posted by KLNhunter View Post
    I'm looking at picking up an e-collar for my lab. She does very well around the house and in the yard but once we go out into the field her obedience is less than stellar. The same goes for when we are out hiking.
    Only thing I would add to what has already been said by many others is that you dont want to limit your obedience training only to your yard. Take the dog other places and work on it ie......school parking lot, open fields, where ever you can safely walk with the dog without a whole lot of distractions. As the dog progress's take him around other people and animals and continue working on it.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie