Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24D, Huslia and Dakli River drainages moose hunt

Default 24D, Huslia and Dakli River drainages moose hunt

I drew this hunt DM892 permit,24D, Huslia and Dakli River drainages I am looking to take my boat up there to hunt. Just looking for any info on the area and how to get into it to hunt???

thanks

ak02man

Should be pretty straight forward. Drive down Yukon R. to Koy. mouth. Drive up Koy. R. to Huslia or Dakli. Start hunting. Probably will be lots of adventures on the way there and on the way back. Take lots of money for gas.
    You could just fly to Hughes and do a float hunt from there to Huslia.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Make sure you do all the research for the area you are going to hunt. Most of the land up that way is Native and they are very protective of that. We flew into Huslia a few yrs back and went south to hunt. The our local transporter was very detailed in telling us where the Native Corp land ended and it was legal for us to camp and hunt. Sure you could float but ensure you stay below the high water line as not to tress pass. Oh, gas was very expensive so plan on lots of money coming in from the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    Make sure you do all the research for the area you are going to hunt. Most of the land up that way is Native and they are very protective of that. We flew into Huslia a few yrs back and went south to hunt. The our local transporter was very detailed in telling us where the Native Corp land ended and it was legal for us to camp and hunt. Sure you could float but ensure you stay below the high water line as not to tress pass. Oh, gas was very expensive so plan on lots of money coming in from the bridge.
    Bringing this one back..as i drew this tag as well. This will be my 3rd trip. I still really dont understand why you would give someone a tag...tell them the area they can hunt..then in certain areas of that area you cant..why not just break it down to begin with..?

High water line?? Ppl cant get above the water line in their permit area???!!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt/trapak88 View Post
    If the land is private, than you can only get on it with the permission of the property owner. In this case, much of the land is native land and not open to the public, whether or not it is "in their permit area". Lots of permit areas around the state have private land that is off limits in and around it.

You can hunt in the private land areas if you are floating through as long as you don't get above the high water line. Meaning if the bull is crossing the river/creek you may legally take it. There is a big name guide that works out of Huslia and goes up the Huslia river. Last time I was there, he had a lot of support from the locals becasue he would compinsate them very well, from what my transporter told me. He was in town getting more fuel when I saw him and was complaining about a few hunters up the same river camped on Native land. W/in 5 min there was two boats with multiple guys heading out to check to see who it was. My transporter said they kick multiple hunting parties off their properties every year. SO do some research before you go and know where you can hunt w/out these problems.

You can hunt in the private land areas if you are floating through as long as you don't get above the high water line. Meaning if the bull is crossing the river/creek you may legally take it. There is a big name guide that works out of Huslia and goes up the Huslia river. Last time I was there, he had a lot of support from the locals becasue he would compinsate them very well, from what my transporter told me. He was in town getting more fuel when I saw him and was complaining about a few hunters up the same river camped on Native land. W/in 5 min there was two boats with multiple guys heading out to check to see who it was. My transporter said they kick multiple hunting parties off their properties every year. SO do some research before you go and know where you can hunt w/out these problems.
    Yep i saw him when i was at huslia..he has a local who runs hunters up to billy hawk creek. He has a big camp up there.

Maybe since my buddy im goin with is a doyon shareholder ill be legal to hunt my whole draw area

Default Just a question?

If this hunt can be such a pain due to concerns of hunting on private property, why wouldn't one just hunt in the Koyukuk area (DM 828 or 830)? I know this area also has some private land but it doesn't seem to be as big an issue. Thx.
    Tony

This is the area that I arrowed my wolf (photo in avitar) in 2009. A wolf pack took over the area and moose sightings were lean but wolf opportunities were grand! We were on an old river oxbow that we accessed by floatplane out of FAI.

Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post
    If this hunt can be such a pain due to concerns of hunting on private property, why wouldn't one just hunt in the Koyukuk area (DM 828 or 830)? I know this area also has some private land but it doesn't seem to be as big an issue. Thx.
    That's exactly what we did. We flew into Huslia with all of our gear, zodiak and motor and had a transporter take us down river to the DM830 hunting grounds. This was a lot cheaper than taking a boat all the way from the bridge. We took a sat phone and called him when we tagged out and he picked us up and we flew back to FAI. All this for less than half the cost of fuel for most that hunt coming from the bridge and back, and there were 3 of us.

cuz i drew 830 last year..

That's exactly what we did. We flew into Huslia with all of our gear, zodiak and motor and had a transporter take us down river to the DM830 hunting grounds. This was a lot cheaper than taking a boat all the way from the bridge. We took a sat phone and called him when we tagged out and he picked us up and we flew back to FAI. All this for less than half the cost of fuel for most that hunt coming from the bridge and back, and there were 3 of us.
    Leaving from wasilla, fuel in truck, fuel in boat....everything costed me $2000...thats split two ways. yea if you buy ALL your fuel on the river its gonna be wayy spendy. Gotta have the right setup that can haul the load. i burned about 315 gals-1156 miles. bought most of my fuel in town

Perhaps a guy could put in at the S Fork Koyukuk, or middle fork by Coldfoot, and float/motor/paddle to the hunt area? When done hunting you could float to Huslia and fly out?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Perhaps a guy could put in at the S Fork Koyukuk, or middle fork by Coldfoot, and float/motor/paddle to the hunt area? When done hunting you could float to Huslia and fly out?
    Ive always wanted to do that...hunting or not. Im gonna take my boat from bridge. That would be a looong float

cuz i drew 830 last year..
    I gotcha, so your working it pretty good then. It is an awesome area for sure. I'll be in 830 again this year as well. Safe travels and hunting...
    Tony

I gotcha, so your working it pretty good then. It is an awesome area for sure. I'll be in 830 again this year as well. Safe travels and hunting...

You too! 20' alweld. 140 suzuki. Say hi if you see me

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    You could just fly to Hughes and do a float hunt from there to Huslia.
    You know if many people have done the Hughes to Huslia float? I was thinking of doing it on the "cut a palm" tag, with a small outboard to pick up the pace a bit to concentrate my efforts a bit downstream from Hughes! Do you know if they'd sell me some fuel in Hughes?

Another thing..

I was up in the Cut-Off area a few years ago. The transporter has a garmin gps and the maps he had on it showed the native/non-native lands. I'd get those maps put on your gps. I know going north from Huslia, you have to go pretty far to get out of the native land.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast