Thread: magazine capacity

Default magazine capacity

i was at the hide and horn auction this morning, and overheard a couple guys discussing this. I hunt with a bolt action ruger, so not much a personal issue, but i did look and could not find anything. i know AR platform is used in the villages regularly. Is it written somewhere what a fellow can carry for hunting with regards to magazine capacity.

Thanks, Carl

Carl- I've never seen anything in the regs that limits magazine capacity for big game or small game hunting in AK.

The single exception is the capacity of a shotgun for hunting waterfowl.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

sure... same goes for dove hunting down south. you would need a plug to as only hold 3. im curious if someone could be carrying around a 7.62/ .308 caribou hunting with a 20 round mag?

Quote Originally Posted by Carlak2fl View Post
    sure... same goes for dove hunting down south. you would need a plug to as only hold 3. im curious if someone could be carrying around a 7.62/ .308 caribou hunting with a 20 round mag?
    Why not? No regs to prohibit doing so. Why stop with a 20 round clip, use a 30 rounder, if you want.

Yep, sure could. And when a wolf hide is worth a couple hundred bucks, and a hunter comes across a pack of 6 or more, 20 rounds in the mag could make a several wolf difference.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Carlak2fl View Post
    Sure...why not?

Why you would need or want to is an entirely different discussion but you occasionally see it.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

No rules in Alaska on magazine capacity. Just 3 rounds for waterfowl

sent from my igloo

Ive shot Caribou with an FN-FAL, and an M1A1, both with 20 round mags in place, they wern't any deadlier.

The philosiphy is to use one good shot, the reality is to shoot untill your done, be it 1-20.

Ive only seen dissapoint ment with the AR platform in Arctic Villages, but Mini-14;s and AK varients abound.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Yep, sure could. And when a wolf hide is worth a couple hundred bucks, and a hunter comes across a pack of 6 or more, 20 rounds in the mag could make a several wolf difference.
    With talk like that your gonna get drummed outta the BHA, Dave Can't argue with your logic tho!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    With talk like that your gonna get drummed outta the BHA, Dave...
    What makes you say that MT?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Sure...why not?

Why you would need or want to is an entirely different discussion but you occasionally see it.
    ^ what he said.

I've never had a use for semi-autos or high-capacity magazines for hunting. Once the first shot goes off, everything in the vicinity is running like crazy... good luck hitting it then.

Self defense is a different issue.

Every moose I have ever shot is dead on the first trigger pull. All subsequent shots waste meat. I did see a small forked horn buck get mowed up by 7.62.... Only the front right shoulder was salvageable.
    It is truly amazing what it takes to put a critter down some times IMHO.... Good point in having more rounds for wolves. Browning .338 here I come

The better question is

do you want anyone to tell you how many you need?

I built an AR in october which I've carried since then with a 10 round magazine. I thought about hunting with the 30 but it just gets in the way and makes it heavy! The 10 is convenient because it doesn't hang down, enough rounds to take a 2 or 3 coyotes or wolves should more than one come in to the call and I carried a second 10. I don't own any 20s but I was planning on getting a couple to try before they got spendy. Managed to take 1 coyote, 1 rabbit and 1 lynx and never had to reload while in the field. I think the option of carrying a big enough mag to not have to reload for an entire weekend of hunting is kinda neat.

There are some states that have a max round magazine likeCO for instance 5 max for hunting rifle but AK does not. I carry an AR15 for predators and a 20rd magonly anything larger just gets in the way but that is my opinion.
    Ducks and Dove is a different case.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

I have visited with a Native friend when he used a Min 14's to harvest caribou.
    High cap mags have their place.
    I personally have a Mini 14 and have used it on Coyote and Wolf.
    In my personal experiance if the first shot is not place well, the rapid fallow ups are nice to have when they start to beat feet and make the crazy turns.
    If you chose to use a high cap mag then why not, some hunters need all the help they can get.
    I prefer to use a bolt or lever for a majority of my hunting.
    At least we still have a choice in some states.

I