Thread: south fork of the kuskokwim

Default south fork of the kuskokwim

Trying to find some float information from someone who's floated anywhere up near the old rohn roadhouse/farwell/nikolia area....if you have drop me a pm or just post it on here, interested in water levels, fish, speed and just a basic what to expect that i can't get from google earth! lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I did a float starting at the Hartman River and into the South Fork, ending at Rohn. There's a gravel bar strip about 5 miles up from the mouth of the Hartman that was big enough for us to get dropped off in a beaver. Pretty mellow floating, beautiful country. We were looking for caribou and never quite connected. Some sheep in the area too. We tried fishing and came up short, but I'm sure we could have done better if we had tried a little more. Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other specific questions. -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

I've floated the South Fork from Doc's strip about 10-15 miles upriver from Hell's Gate down to Rohn Roadhouse. It is a fantastic float. We saw tons of black bears and connected on some black bears. We called in a bull moose a few miles below Hell's Gate and he was in the high 40's with three brow tines. Couldn't stretch him long enough. Saw some 3/4 to 7/8 curl rams around the area surrounding Egg Mountain, Denny Creek, and the Post Lake area and again near Rohn but couldn't quite make them legal. No caribou at all. That country used to have tons of caribou 10-15 years ago. Once you get to Rohn the river really braids out and you can get into some trouble if you aren't paying attention. There are not many fishing opportunities. The only place in that entire area I have ever caught fish is up in Jimmy Lake which is about a 2-3 mile hike from the South Fork once you land at Doc's Strip. There are lots of grayling in that lake. Occasionally some chums and silvers will travel all the way up the South Fork but by that time they look like they are half alive/half dead. It was a beautiful float, but I would not choose to float it again for hunting purposes. Unless I was targeting black bears. If you are targeting black bears you will have no problem spotting them on the hillsides stuffing their bellies with berries. The moose are there but hard to find. Caribou are almost non-existent. If it is sheep you are looking for, you would be better off to fly into one of the more productive drainages and backpacking in IMO. But, I suppose if you don't mind hiking a long ways you could find some legal rams back in some of those drainages.

I actually have a bison tag and am looking at dropping into rohn out out down near farewell. I see it braids ou but I'd prescout it each day before we moved camp. A black bear would be cool a sheep a fun bonus but I can't shoot a moose or caribou due to my teir I tag so those are a non issue. But I'm there for the buff...thats the target!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I actually have a bison tag and am looking at dropping into rohn out out down near farewell. I see it braids ou but I'd prescout it each day before we moved camp. A black bear would be cool a sheep a fun bonus but I can't shoot a moose or caribou due to my teir I tag so those are a non issue. But I'm there for the buff...thats the target!!
    Right on. That's cool. I knew a guy who hunted those bison out of farewell. I think he said it wasn't all that hard. But he is a pilot so maybe he could fly right up to the herd, land, wait until the next day and shoot. Don't know much about them so I can't help you. But I do know that area by farewell is about as flat as a pancake. You might get some vantage if you were get close enough to egypt mountain. But there is not much for trees out there so you might not need to get any vantage. Are you just spike camping from farewell or floating down to a point further downstream on the South Fork Kuskokwim? Like I said the river is very braided. So stick to one main channel and when you are ready to make camp, work your way closer to one of the shorelines. Be careful for sweepers and strainers. There is a lot of driftwood and rootwads in those back channels. The South Fork is glacially fed, cold and swift. There shouldn't be any rapids that far downstream.