Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Tubing

Default Aluminum Tubing

I'm either going to build a small hardtop or a very basic aluminum tube frame for a tarp top. It would go on this:
    I'm looking for some suggestions as to tube diameter/thickness/anodized unanodized, etc. The tarp would be removed while towing. The boat may hit 30mph going downhill and what ever wind component there may be. Just something simple for the bugs to ride on and to keep me half way dry below. It would be approx 8 ft. long. I think Ak Steel has the tubing..open to any other suggestions. Just hoping to show up on a vendor's doorstep with more than my typical puzzelled look.

The quality of aluminum will make your diameter go down but price go up typically. Cheap aluminum tubing will be soft and flexible and not worth spit for what your using it for. You need to use a good grade then its really up to you how to attach the tarp. I believe T6061 is aircraft grade. Sturdy and fairly light but dont hold me to that, there are a load of different grades and I get em mixed up easily.

I would personally rivet button snaps onto the side of square stock then attach the tarp to it. At the ends I would use 90 degree flat elbow brackets and bolt the "legs" onto it with a pin or easily removable piece of hardware so I could break it down flat for the ride home.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Alaska Steel does not carry Aluminum tubing they do carry Aluminum pipe, try Reeve Air Motive for tubing.

How about using electrical conduit that you get at Home Depot or Lowes, they have the benders too.. I am sure with enough trial and error you could build a spiffy camper back with it, some blue tarps and bungie cords.

Cool looking Harvey Dory... I had one a long time ago that was orange and white.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I built a rack for the back of mine out of 6061 or 6063 1-1/4 pipe, can't remember which but it was the stiffer of the two. And used those hollaender speed rail fittings, works great if you want to take it on and off or change it any way. I did spend more on the fittings than on the pipe though!

Alaska Steel has all the fittings you could want. I think i'd build it first out of conduit and do the trial and error out of cheaper material then with all the bugs worked out spend the money on the aluminum tubing.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Good advice from all...Thanks! I've got lots of room under the gunnels for backing plates for the attach points. I hadn't thought about square stock but that may be easier for me to outsmart than trying to bend and sleeve round pipe or tube on the ends. Its supposed to be a little nicer out this week so maybe I'll yank the tarps, get some measurements and price out various materials.

I think 5 20' sticks of 1-1/4 cost me something like $250 delivered, I thought that was reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjq View Post
    I think 5 20' sticks of 1-1/4 cost me something like $250 delivered, I thought that was reasonable.

Do you have pics of rack?
    Boatless

Yeah, I'll try to put one up this afternoon when I wake up

You might want to talk to almost any electrical subcontractor. Both heavy and "thinwall" aluminum conduit is available, and I think the thicker stuff will sork quite well, and very economically. Once you've designed it, I reckon the contractor might also bend it for you, saving the cost of buying the required conduit bender. My wild guess is that 3/4" conduit will be sufficient, unless you really hit a gale.

Aluminum conduit is soft and will bend easy, you need something stiffer. I'm all for DIY unless you know what your doing it may take a couple of times to get it done right. It may be cheaper to have it made by a boat shop.

Is this what your wanting to do.

http://www.pontoonstuff.com/pontoon-boat-tops-10ft.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by jamesjq View Post
    Yeah, I'll try to put one up this afternoon when I wake up
    That would be great! I didn't know speed rail fittings by name but have used them before helping a guy erect a trade show booth...skookum stuff, for sure. As part of my continuing self imposed cultural enlightenment program, I watch Swamp People on the History channel. That one guy and son have a super simple set up...and they whiz around the swamp faster than I can probably go in all sorts of weather. BTW...where did you get your pipe..local or shipped in?

1" aluminum schedule 40 pipe measures 1.315" OD x .133" wall thickness. Most aluminum pipe as well as structural shapes ie. angle, channel, t-bar, is 6061 T-6 alloy. It is readily weldable and has fair corrosion resistance. 1" pipe would make a stout rack if properly constructed.

Got the pipe at Morgan steel in Kenai, they had the best price down here, the fittings I got from buyrailings.com, saved about 1/3 from getting it here, and there was no minimum order number for the different fittings. I think it's hard for the local guys to stock the oddball stuff that doesn't sell much, and I had a hand full of odd fittings.
    I built mine as a meat rack that's why I went heavy with it, of your not planning on weighting it down I'm sure you could go down a size or two.

Holy engines batman!!
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I know, that 6 horse is pretty mean right!!??

Thanks for posting the pics. Thats one impressive piece of equipment! Probably equates to about 7000 Harvey Dories..lol..and Yep, I think a rack like that might support my tarp!

Yeah, like I said, I think you could downsize and get away with it! I was just real pleased with how easy and adaptable the fitting type structure was to build.
    And I grew up on a Harvey dory, I'd trade the new iron any day to be out there in a flat glass if I could do it with my pops and my grandpa. Those were good times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast