Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of new hardware/tackle are you trying this year?

Default What kind of new hardware/tackle are you trying this year?

For me there won't be a bunch of new stuff in the way of gear as I already have too many rods, reels, and tackle. I will be trying some new bait rigging/brining and some lures that didn't make it in the water last year. I have switched to 130# leaders instead of 400# to streamline things and cut water resistance but other than that it will be about the same as last year. I did pick up the new GoPro Hero3 with remote and phone control capability so there will be quite a bit more video footage and likely some HD shots of the trolling gear in action.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Picked up a couple shimano clarus rods, with tekota 600lc reels, they are my first reels with line counters, i like the idea for mooching. Also got a cedros reel i am going to to put on a cedros jigging rod. I got a go pro for Christmas so i should get some good shots of the action on the boat this year. Not much new in the tackle department, unless what i use doesn't work this year
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I bought some new jig molds to make some really cool new Saltwater jigs.
    One of them is a Total custom design and CNC machined. A 25oz butterfly/crippled herring cross.
    Also bought a CNC machined mold for 10,12,16oz butterfly type jigs from master mold maker Shawn Collins.
    I am also going to make some larger versions of my Torpedo jigs that I like so much. The Halibut seem to like them too.
    Bought a few other random molds for rockfish jigs as well.
    I got some new line to try for the Assist hook rigging.
    Bought some new hooks for the new molds. I even bought some hooks to make a circle hook Bullet head jigs for rockfish.
    Somebody here brought the idea up and I found some hooks to try.
    I'll do a thread on the new jigs when I get some finnished.
    I am still working out the details for the new fluid beds I am building to get these new jigs powder painted.
    I may buy a new Jigging rod/reel combo specifically for jigging for Halibut. I will have to check the budget and read some more threads on here to decide what I want and what it will cost me. I do want one though!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

The main thing I'm planning on a new fish finder. Other than that, a few new reels.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Upgraded boats, and that's about it. Going to be in the market for a new sounder though.

New fishfinder here, too.

After so much happiness with the 10 1/2' Loomis mooching rods last year, I'm really tempted to try their 12' versions this year. Just absolutely killed the kings mooching in tight quarters when other folks were having trouble scoring in more open water. And those 10 1/2 footers significantly outfished our 9' mooching rods. There might be something to this long rod stuff, but it will take another dip into the bank account to test the thought.

A new 30 foot Kingfisher.

Sounds like alot of cool and new equipment hitting the water this year!

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Single, 3/0 Owner Mutu light circle hooks for mooching silvers/kings. Replacing the double-hook 3/0-4/0 octopus rigs I had been using, hoping for equal hookups, mostly lip hooking, no more dangling second hooks threatening to embed in hand!

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Single, 3/0 Owner Mutu light circle hooks for mooching silvers/kings. Replacing the double-hook 3/0-4/0 octopus rigs I had been using, hoping for equal hookups, mostly lip hooking, no more dangling second hooks threatening to embed in hand!
    Keep us posted on that. I've gone to sliders on my 2-hook mooching rigs to help cut down on the danglies, but that only works when they're on the front hook.

How will you bait a single-hook rig for mooching?

I found a few of these jigs online, and thought "why not?" Ordered from jigHQ.com (I'm not affiliated) and when they arrived, I was surprised to also find half a dozen Owner hooks and Kevlar line. And a hand written note from the owner of the company explaining that the jigs were designed for fish in the Atlantic or Gulf of Mexico, and he wanted to include some stronger hooks and line for the larger Alaskan fish I might encounter. I haven't fished them yet, but it was sure nice to get that sort of personal attention and customer care!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361861715.018609.jpg

No new gear, but wana explore and try new areas!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thanks BOREAL, I am a jig junkie, and always willing to buy something new, although I may have my fix this year with the KodiakCustom jigs touted on another thread. I did try to go to jigHQ.com though, and all I got was a goDaddy ad...can you check that website and re-list if that's the wrong address? Those look like interesting jigs...

Brownbear: I quit using the sliders because if the fish hits the front hook and doesn't get hooked, that sliding action tears up the bait. With our solid mooching rigs, probably 90% of the fish seemed to be on the front hook WHEN THEY GOT HOOKED. Silvers can really mess with you and are expert at getting the bait off without getting hooked, imo, even though we often slid the second, bottom hook, thru the skin of the side of the herring and let it dangle. So, to answer your question, I plan to plug-cut my herring for action if we are drifting with a good current, or if we are "mooching" them up and down a lot, or just leave them whole if they are biting well...but in all cases just hook thru once near the front if cut, or up thru the lip and head if whole. If we get bored or they are stealing a lot of bait, sometimes it helps to thread single hook thru front, back a ways, then thru side, then leave a couple of inches dangling. I don't troll, so maybe someone will try these circle hooks doing that.

Anyway, I will report on the single circle hook success by September. I also plan to try a single #8 stainless, strong hook on my spinners and maybe small baits too, to catch pinks or silvers within a horde of pinks, this is an idea a fly fisher suggested on another thread to reduce snagging...

Kodiak Custom halibut lures sweet-tipped with organics as soon as Tony Davis ships them to my Kodiak address; I arrive May 2nd, and after that and until my late September close-out, all butts will pay dearly...

Rosenberg; Sarasota, FL / Kodiak, AK
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Brownbear: I quit using the sliders because if the fish hits the front hook and doesn't get hooked, that sliding action tears up the bait. With our solid mooching rigs, probably 90% of the fish seemed to be on the front hook WHEN THEY GOT HOOKED. Silvers can really mess with you and are expert at getting the bait off without getting hooked, imo, even though we often slid the second, bottom hook, thru the skin of the side of the herring and let it dangle. So, to answer your question, I plan to plug-cut my herring for action if we are drifting with a good current, or if we are "mooching" them up and down a lot, or just leave them whole if they are biting well...but in all cases just hook thru once near the front if cut, or up thru the lip and head if whole. If we get bored or they are stealing a lot of bait, sometimes it helps to thread single hook thru front, back a ways, then thru side, then leave a couple of inches dangling. I don't troll, so maybe someone will try these circle hooks doing that.
    Good brain food Ron, and thanks. We caught more kings and silvers and got them faster while mooching plug cuts last year than we did trolling, even though trolling was usually good. Kinda getting hooked on it, so on the hunt for details and ideas. Dunno if it applies for your water and fish, but when the silvers were thieving our catch rate went way up after we switched to red Owner octopus for the front hook, black in back.

I did try to go to jigHQ.com though, and all I got was a goDaddy ad...can you check that website and re-list if that's the wrong address? Those look like interesting jigs...
    Good catch! That should the thejighq.com Mostly set up for warmer waters, but some good videos to go along with their jigs.

Thanks, Boreal, that website works, I really like those firm breasted mermaids that popped up this time, looked just like the goDaddy girls on the superbowl commercials Actually, good looking, different jigs, will have to try a couple.

Brownbear: I had downriggers on my last boat, and I a;so tried that trolling with a couple of charters, just not my cup of tea, boat is fishing and all I do is reel them up. Mooching is a hoot...we do it two ways, either with a light banana sinker, maybe 1 1/2 oz, with a 36" leader coming off the sinker with a herring. The other way is with a bobber...YEP! Just like waiting for ol' Mr. catfish....we use a slip bobber with a bobber stop, and a herring with a small splitshot above it. Set the bobber stop where you want it, usually 30 feet but sometimes only 15, sometimes 50. Of course, only when it is relatively calm. Always some slight wave action to impart a little wiggle to the bait...it is a hoot when you have 4 of these out and bobbers start dunking and you are trying to figure out which one is on what line. And....what is cooler than fishing with a bobber in the salt, next I need to bring a big cane pole up! the other advantage of using bobbers is you can have a couple of people drop a halibut rig, then cast the bobbers away from the boat and mooch where you are not going to immediately have fish running around the halibut lines. Many times getting limits of halibut and silvers from the same spot...so ya'll give it a try. If you forget bobbers, improvise, ibuprophen bottles and wine corks work well

Brownbear: I had downriggers on my last boat, and I a;so tried that trolling with a couple of charters, just not my cup of tea, boat is fishing and all I do is reel them up. Mooching is a hoot...we do it two ways, either with a light banana sinker, maybe 1 1/2 oz, with a 36" leader coming off the sinker with a herring. The other way is with a bobber...YEP! Just like waiting for ol' Mr. catfish....we use a slip bobber with a bobber stop, and a herring with a small splitshot above it. Set the bobber stop where you want it, usually 30 feet but sometimes only 15, sometimes 50. Of course, only when it is relatively calm. Always some slight wave action to impart a little wiggle to the bait...it is a hoot when you have 4 of these out and bobbers start dunking and you are trying to figure out which one is on what line. And....what is cooler than fishing with a bobber in the salt, next I need to bring a big cane pole up! the other advantage of using bobbers is you can have a couple of people drop a halibut rig, then cast the bobbers away from the boat and mooch where you are not going to immediately have fish running around the halibut lines. Many times getting limits of halibut and silvers from the same spot...so ya'll give it a try. If you forget bobbers, improvise, ibuprophen bottles and wine corks work well
    That is cool beyond words Ron! I like the idea a lot and can see immediate application. I've been juggling weight size and rod length to get separation between the lines, but the bobbers go a step beyond. Sometimes we have guests who can't get the "feel" for mooching and especially hook sets. I'm betting the bobbers help a lot there too.

Seems like I'm saying this a lot and it's good- Thanks once again!

The other way is with a bobber...YEP! Just like waiting for ol' Mr. catfish....we use a slip bobber with a bobber stop, and a herring with a small splitshot above it. Set the bobber stop where you want it, usually 30 feet but sometimes only 15, sometimes 50. Of course, only when it is relatively calm. Always some slight wave action to impart a little wiggle to the bait...it is a hoot when you have 4 of these out and bobbers start dunking and you are trying to figure out which one is on what line. And....what is cooler than fishing with a bobber in the salt, next I need to bring a big cane pole up! the other advantage of using bobbers is you can have a couple of people drop a halibut rig, then cast the bobbers away from the boat and mooch where you are not going to immediately have fish running around the halibut lines. Many times getting limits of halibut and silvers from the same spot...so ya'll give it a try. If you forget bobbers, improvise, ibuprophen bottles and wine corks work well
    This seems like a great application for circle hooks on a herring. Assuming you can provide enough drag to set the hooks. Thanks, I'll have to give that a try.

I got a ProTroll throttle controller for my kicker for xmas and a 1/2/all/off perko switch. I built a jig mold last week - kind of ugly, 15 ounces, but it will be fun seeing if I can catch a fish on a homebrew. I am also going to re-rig my hooks on all jigs to kevlar and move up to the top eye.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast