Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feds posing as AR buyers?

Default Feds posing as AR buyers?

This is not a 2nd A or political thread. Just a heads up. Have no idea how true it is but found this ad on ARMSLIST, so I thought I would post it FYI.

THERE ARE FEDS POSING AS BUYERS Who contact you and make arrangements to buy your AR or lower receiver, then when they meet up will look it over and find some trivial detail that they say is a deal breaker, and with great apology they back out without buying. They never intended to buy it they are just keeping tabs on who has what. The person who contacted me got me mixed up with other buyers and it was obvious he was checking out a list of people.
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

IMO, Total BS.

Well, since it's on the Internet, it MUST be true.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Your right this is neither a 2a or a political post it's a tin foil hat post. Do you have any evidence what so ever they were "Feds"? I look at ALOT of guns and don't end up buying especially when I am dropping $1,000+ dollars it better be exactly how I like it or I am going to walk away. Without any evidence to support your claims you are just spewing garbage. What good would it do for the Feds to keep tabs on people looking to sell their guns as opposed to those buying. And trust me of they wantd to know what people have a they have to do is browse these and other gun forums / Facebook people are all about posting pictures of everything they own

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Like I said, I have no idea how true it is.

Here's the link. Maybe you can email the guy throw the BS flag.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/104998...sing-as-buyers
    "You will never know how much it cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it."
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Your right this is neither a 2a or a political post it's a tin foil hat post. Do you have any evidence what so ever they were "Feds"? I look at ALOT of guns and don't end up buying especially when I am dropping $1,000+ dollars it better be exactly how I like it or I am going to walk away. Without any evidence to support your claims you are just spewing garbage. What good would it do for the Feds to keep tabs on people looking to sell their guns as opposed to those buying. And trust me of they wantd to know what people have a they have to do is browse these and other gun forums / Facebook people are all about posting pictures of everything they own
    Hey fella, I'm not claiming anything! Did you read my post?!
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    THERE ARE FEDS POSING AS BUYERS Who contact you and make arrangements to buy your AR or lower receiver, then when they meet up will look it over and find some trivial detail that they say is a deal breaker, and with great apology they back out without buying. They never intended to buy it they are just keeping tabs on who has what.
    Seems like a relatively labor intensive way to try to keep track of a million plus AR receivers- particularly one for sale since it is very likely to change hands in today's market rather quickly.

I do know that Fed LE does attempt to buy hardware from people who are of interest to them in the course of their investigations...but the emphasis is on the people rather than the hardware in question. It's not random trolling on AK List....

If I were selling a legal receiver in a legitimate transaction I'd have no qualms at all.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Seems like a relatively labor intensive way to try to keep track of a million plus AR receivers- particularly one for sale since it is very likely to change hands in today's market rather quickly.

I do know that Fed LE does attempt to buy hardware from people who are of interest to them in the course of their investigations...but the emphasis is on the people rather than the hardware in question. It's not random trolling on AK List....

If I were selling a legal receiver in a legitimate transaction I'd have no qualms at all.
    If it were true, I would think it is to entrap someone on a legality. Like I said, I have no idea and just posted it so people would be careful to have all their "i's" dotted and "t's" crossed if they are making any transactions.

I do know a few years back Fed agents tried to entrap Randy Weaver, who live just a couple hours away from Missoula where this ad originates.
    ~ John Quincy Adams

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I dunno why they start worrying about that now.

They were probably targeting specific individuals, anyway.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I am going to ask a monitor to lock this thread down. I only intended it to be for info only and not an ugly name calling fest.

As Hodgeman said,

And there ya go. Sometimes we get tempted to take shortcuts and make mistakes. Keep your stuff in order and no worries.
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Hey, they have a bureaucracy to grow and unlimited money (yours) to burn! Might as well.
    Bet if the sequester goes though you won't see any departments administering gun control programs being cut.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    In the old days, pre-internet, they called it "gossip", and it was frowned upon. Now it's called "simply passing info FYI"... Seems like if you read something that sounds questionable, you shouldn't just propagate it without so much as the slightest effort to validate it first. Seems like that's largely what the internet is about these days tho; randomly propagating false information "FYI". Applying the caveat that you "don't know whether it's true or not" doesn't make it any less what it is; simply rumor mongering to rile up the gullible. It seems like a game played by the type people who don't have the nerve to go out into the streets and actually start a riot, but feel comfortable doing the electronic equivalent on the internet. Of course, that's just my opinion.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Typical BATFEces thug SOP.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    In the old days, pre-internet, they called it "gossip", and it was frowned upon. Now it's called "simply passing info FYI"... Seems like if you read something that sounds questionable, you shouldn't just propagate it without so much as the slightest effort to validate it first. Seems like that's largely what the internet is about these days tho; randomly propagating false information "FYI". Applying the caveat that you "don't know whether it's true or not" doesn't make it any less what it is; simply rumor mongering to rile up the gullible. It seems like a game played by the type people who don't have the nerve to go out into the streets and actually start a riot, but feel comfortable doing the electronic equivalent on the internet. Of course, that's just my opinion.
    Gossip? Are you kidding? The caveat was made. If it's not true, no big deal eh. If it is true, a helpful reminder for folks to be cautious. If this post helps one person avoid a felony charge or otherwise bad experience, it's been well worth it IMO.
    ~ John Quincy Adams

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    Typical BATFEces thug SOP.
    Is this a commonly held view in the King Cove PD?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

I had a guy wanting to purchase a rifle from me a few months back he wanted to take pictures and a get a copy of the serial number so he could go home and think about it then call me back. I laughed at him and closed the case I then told him buy it and I don't care what you do with your own property but this is still my property and that ain't happening.

Default Curious

I would never call any one names,especially on an internet forum . On the contrary I am glad that certain people have a healthy degree of suspicion of our government.
    That being said as far as i know at this point in time, selling guns in the great state of Alaska from your personal collection is completely legal so long as

1. The firearm is not stolen nor in anyway illegal to begin with.

2. Short barrel rifles, saw'd off shotguns and automatics are allways illegal without the proper permissions and stamp as approved by the ATF.

3. You cannot sell to a person you know is a felon or have reason to believe has illegal intentions with said firearm.

As i understand it.....That about sums it up for sales between individuals at this time.

Thus all this being said...As already stated as long as its a legal transaction in your state their should be nothing to worry about.

In my opinion that would be a very hard and time consuming method for the feds to learn about a very small percentage of lowers that are perfectly legal at this time. This is why I have my personal doubts about this story.

There might very well have been some feds with perk'd interest into the sales of these types of arms, I just don't believe that was the reason behind their interest.....

I enjoy hearing the rumors sometimes..... i am a big boy and can sort through the facts and make up my own mind....
    Keep them coming!

Well, since AlaskaHippie said it was true, I'll believe it!
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Another fantastic thread.

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Well, since AlaskaHippie said it was true, I'll believe it!
    I did?

hmmmmm.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast