Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Newbie Limit Question.. Black Bears

  1. #1
    Member JR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,129

    Default Newbie Limit Question.. Black Bears

    I have been trying to get an answer to a question about limits on black bears.. I have not called ADFG yet as I am on the slope working nights. Anyway here goes, I plan on hunting black bears in PWS this spring and I know the limit is one bear in that game unit per season. I was thinking it might be nice to do some more black bear hunting close to home and I could hunt in an areaa that is a three bear per yer limit. My question is this, if I kill a bear in the 3 bear limit area am I allowed to go kill one in PWS or not.

    I have got multiple answers from multiple people that are experienced hunters. One told me as long as I killed the bear in PWS first I could kill two more in the other area, one told me if I killed one in PWS then I was done bear hunting as I had met my limit in one game unit and yet another told me to as long as I don't kill more than the limit in the given game area I am okay.

    I think the rule is that If I kill one outside of PWS then I have met the limit for PWS and cannot hunt bears there any longer. However if I just hunt in the 3 bear a year area then I can kill three.

    This is all probably theroetical anyway as I would guess my chances of killing one bear this year are slim.. anyway what do you say?
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

    Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

  2. #2
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    First you have to keep regulatory year in mind. Your limit resets on 1 Jul, you must start in the lower limit area. So 6D is one bear a year, that bear MUST be harvested first, then you can harvest more in areas that have more liberal limits. In others words if you want to hunt Blackies in PWS that must be the first bear you harvest for the regulatory year.

    Another thing that trips folks up is the Harvest tag. They run regulatory year as well, I had a friend that got his tag for the spring hunt and thought it was good for the fall hunt as well. However it had expired on 30 June, luckily he caught the mistake before killing another bear and closed out his hunt report, though his report was late.

    Hope this helps.

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,022

    Default

    If you legaly kill a bear in any GMU, regardless of bag limit, you may not kill another in any GMU with a 1 bear per regulatory year bag limit in the same regulatory year.

    So, as Steve stated and you seem to understand, if you are set on hunting in PWS this spring for example, you must hunt and be successful there first and are then prohibited from taking another bear in that or any other GMU with a 1 bear limit until after June 30, 2013. Keep in mind that if you take a bear in the fall of 2013, you are prohibited from hunting for black bear in any other GMU with a 1 bear limit until after June 30 2014.

  4. #4
    Member Matt83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Chugiak, AK
    Posts
    441

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    My question is this, if I kill a bear in the 3 bear limit area am I allowed to go kill one in PWS or not.
    Simple answer, No
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson

  5. #5
    Member JR2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,129

    Default

    Thanks for the quick answers.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

    Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

  6. #6

    Default

    What the others have stated is correct. Here is a link to the hunting regs. It is very clearly defined on page 16 under "Bag Limits".

    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...fs/general.pdf

  7. #7
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    You can shoot your bear in PWS first and then go out and kill two more in another unit that has a higher bag limit, just not vice versa.

  8. #8
    Member ak_cowboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    You can shoot your bear in PWS first and then go out and kill two more in another unit that has a higher bag limit, just not vice versa.
    Ditto.

    sent from my igloo

  9. #9
    Member akrstabout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    First you have to keep regulatory year in mind. Your limit resets on 1 Jul, you must start in the lower limit area. So 6D is one bear a year, that bear MUST be harvested first, then you can harvest more in areas that have more liberal limits. In others words if you want to hunt Blackies in PWS that must be the first bear you harvest for the regulatory year.

    Another thing that trips folks up is the Harvest tag. They run regulatory year as well, I had a friend that got his tag for the spring hunt and thought it was good for the fall hunt as well. However it had expired on 30 June, luckily he caught the mistake before killing another bear and closed out his hunt report, though his report was late.

    Hope this helps.

    Steve
    Correct. Just wanted to add, PWS season starts Sept thru early June. So if you killed a bear in the fall anywhere, you are DONE for spring bear in PWS. Say in July you kill a bear on resurection trail, you are DONE for fall bear in PWS and also the following spring, since it's the same season even though thru different years!!! It really is not confusing! Chris

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •