Thread: Hudson Bay and power

Default Hudson Bay and power

Long time lurker, first post.

In two weeks I'm moving back to the road system. My old canoe and OB is staying behind. Sad, but I'm excited to see new places and the old boat will do some subsistance good here in town.

I've searched the forums high and low and I'm about sold on a Hudson Bay with a mud motor of some kind.

I'm reading a lot about the mud buddy 18/23 which to me seems like a lot of power, but I'm coming from a 18 foot freighter with a 6 horse. That rig loaded pretty light would run 12 mph and since I never ran current that strong I was happy.

A few questions:

1. Does anyone have experience with a 12 hp copperhead on their Hudson Bay? I ask because from what I read folks were happy running 15 hp on on there HB until the mud motors started catching on which makes me wonder about the 18/23 MB

2. Any recomendations on trailers? The smallest of ez loaders or just convert a flat bed?

3. Does someone on the kenai have a HB I can lay a hand on? Would like to get a feel of the build quality and layup before I call Scott and/or KP in Whitehorse to line this up.

thanks for any feedback.

J

I haven't used a mud motor though I am convinced it's the way to go. I started with an 8HP Honda on my own HB and it was ok until you hit wind or current, then I was underpowered. 21 feet of boat can convert current and wind into some strong forces! I also had it at full throttle most of the time. At present I have a 20HP and it's about right. I think 15HP would be ok as well. I'll be interested in what folks have to say about the 12HP Copperhead. It might just about do the trick except in extreme conditions but I am guessing!

I started out with a 20 hp honda on my HB and it is a beautiful motor... it is the best for smooth running and fuel economy..but it can't get you in to the tight spots that I wanted to explore.
    My 23 hp mudbuddy is the cats a... for shallow water operation. Personally I'd go past the 12hp and right to the 23hp.especially if you want to load your canoe down with extra gas and supplies to do an extended moose hunt.

Mudbuddy's....when you positively need to get there....