I am starting this thread cause of several off topic comments I saw on a thread in the saltwater fishing forum indicating there was substantial interest in this topic. I am a sushi and sashimi fanatic. Tuna and salmon are my favorites. In extensive searches across the web, there are a lot of warnings about consumption of raw salmon. Most of the sources I have found that seem to know what they are talking about indicate that salmon should never be eaten raw due to parasites in the fish. These same sources indicate that if the fish is frozen for several days at a specific temp that will kill the parasites and then salmon is safe to eat raw. However, there are a fair number of sources on the web that say that freezing will not kill the parasites. My questions on the topic are many:
1) is cold smoked salmon or lox also a risk for parasites?
2) how big is this risk from wild Alaska salmon (dipped from Kenai or copper usually)
3) does freezing fix the problem? If so, at what temp and for what length of time?
4) I have eaten raw fish (some of it straight out of the river) for years and have never felt sick from it. Will I be able to tell if I ingest parasites or is it something a person can live with for years and never know you are infested?
5) if parasites are a legitimate problem, what temp does the fish have to achieve to kill the parasites by heat?
6) I also love halibut ceviche and have even eaten gray cod as sashimi (it was amazingly good which surprised me). Are those fish risky as well?
Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for any definitive insights you can provide.