Thread: Caribou Bow Hunt

Default Caribou Bow Hunt

Alright guys, I have a tag for the unit 14 caribou hunt, and I really would like to accomplish this hunt using my bow. I just want some info and some advice on hunting that area. Anything and everything is helpful and greatly appreciated!

I assume you mean the unit 13 caribou tags for the nelchina herd? My advice is to spend a bit of time hiking in a couple miles to get away from the crowds. That hunt is an absolute zoo along the roads and the atv trails and the caribou get such constant pressure it would be difficult to manage with a bow. Just hiking 2 miles into an area that is difficult or impossible for an atv to get into and you will find the competition reduced by 99percent giving you good opportunities with a bow. My best success in bow hunting caribou has always been to try and see them coming from a ways away and get yourself set up in front of them along their anticipated route. That always works better for me than trying to stalk within range of a herd. Then again, I am not very patient and usually tend to rush my stalks which is a big part of my problem and likely you would be much better in the stealth approach than I am. Good luck.

He could have DC590 which is in the Talkeetnas.

sent from my igloo

Good point. My bad. I have never hunted that country and keep forgetting about that hunt.

If you do in fact have the DC590 tag then it may be a bit harder than you think. I don't want to discourage you but you really need to think about your access into this area. There are many access points but not allot of good trails that take you deep into caribou country. I have seen some beautiful bulls in the Talkeetnas but access is very tough. A plane may be the best way to go. It would be different if this were a winter hunt and could go on snowmachine but it is a fall only tag.

One place to start may be to take the Purches Creek trail in to Peters Creek. I have seen some feeding out of the mountains in there before. From my experience the caribou in the Talkeetnas like to stay high, which is nice because you can get out of the brush, but putting a sneak on them with a bow may be a bit more difficult.

Good luck to you.

13! Yes sorry!

Sorry about that guys, I didn't even realize I hit 4 instead of 3 last night. I have the unit 13 tier tag.

I'll be hunting around coal creek, which is a few hours four wheeler cruise from the Denali highway. I'm a southeast alaska guy, but I've moved up here for the last two years and I have always wanted to get a bou. I'm excited for the hunt even though its a tag that everyone gets as long as they apply. Also I was gonna ask about the griz population up around that specific area? I'll be bringing a gun as well but I'm really set on doing the caribou with a bow!

Quote Originally Posted by 907pride View Post
    If you do in fact have the DC590 tag then it may be a bit harder than you think. I don't want to discourage you but you really need to think about your access into this area. There are many access points but not allot of good trails that take you deep into caribou country. I have seen some beautiful bulls in the Talkeetnas but access is very tough. A plane may be the best way to go. It would be different if this were a winter hunt and could go on snowmachine but it is a fall only tag.

One place to start may be to take the Purches Creek trail in to Peters Creek. I have seen some feeding out of the mountains in there before. From my experience the caribou in the Talkeetnas like to stay high, which is nice because you can get out of the brush, but putting a sneak on them with a bow may be a bit more difficult.

Good luck to you.
    Caribou are pretty easy to call in. Got my first about 9-miles in on HIcks Creek in 1952. On foot, and it wasn't an easy hunt. If DANO 11 will PM me, I'll tell him how to call a caribou into bow range. Like snow geese, they're very inquisitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dano11 View Post
    13! Yes sorry!
    Well then, Forget everything I said! The Unit 13 tag is a slam dunk. Good luck.

Thanks anyway 907!

My daughter and I drew the Paxson Lodge side for the unit 13 permit. I plan to take her with here .243 and I'll pack the bow. We'll hike in a few miles from the road, but I'd really love to knock down a Nelchina bull with my Mathew's. Now if there is a lunker out there that I can't close the distance on, and my daughter has tagged out, I'll be notching my tag one way or another.