Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use of Hydrofoils on outboard engines

Default Use of Hydrofoils on outboard engines

Is anyone currently using hydrofoils on their outboard marine engines?
    If so, have you noticed any improvement in performance, cavitation, or ease of getting on step as the hydrofoil manufacturers suggest?

I can get up on step faster and stay there a slower speeds. It's also helped control porpoising. It really depends on your boat/motor combo. Mine is a 20ft alloy running a 115 outboard. They're cheap enough and don't require drilling, so I'd get one and see if it works for you
    "What is it about a beautiful sunny afternoon, with the birds singing and the wind rustling through the leaves, that makes you want to get drunk? --Jack Handy

Default Doel-fin

I put one on my 15HP Tohatsu, and believe that it now comes up faster, and helps to keep my bow lower.

I've heard (but not had) one complaint about my exact setup: It mandates that you have a motor stand, since after installing the doel-fin, the motor rests at a different attitude when lying on its side (the propeller is higher, vertically), possibly enough to affect keeping fluids where they should stay. I have not seen this problem, but I use a motor stand 100% of the time it isn't clamped onto my canoe.

I have a 48 HP on an 18' sylvan sea master. It planes faster and stays on plan.

Ron
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I used one on previous boat/motor combinations I have owned, worth every penny and then some.

I put one on my 18' searunner (90hp Yammie 4 stroke) last year in October. I was trying to get rid of porpoising. It made a huge difference in handling and some in fuel economy. It comes on step much quicker - maybe 2/3 of the time. The boat almost doesn't even lift the bow up when I bring it up on step. The porpoising is GONE. It turns much nicer without "grabbing" at all. It dropped my WOT RPM 225-250 rpm.

I have to drive it some more, but I think that it dropped my fuel mileage a little bit - from 4mpg to 3.8mpg or so.

Thanks for the replies.
    Did you bolt them to the cavitation plate or are you using the non-bolt model?

Drilled and bolted.

Measure and mark 10 times, then drill once, correctly.

My favorite so far is the SE Sport 300. It covers the area above and behind the prop and helps direct the prop thrust instead of just helping with trim. In my application it is very aggressive and can't imagine running without it. The SE Sport certainly gets you on-step fast and reduces the dreaded porpoising dramatically...also helps with hard turning.
    http://sesport.com/Home.asp

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

My buddy has one on his boat and it performs very well. I plan on adding one to mine before spring.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I wonder if there is enough room between my twins to put one on each motor and I wonder if it would help on a bigger (28 ft) boat...
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I wonder if there is enough room between my twins to put one on each motor and I wonder if it would help on a bigger (28 ft) boat...
    I will measure from centerline tonight and let you know what kind of space you need . And yes, it would help.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

I have them on mine and there is plenty of room. I have the SE Sport 300. They do help a bit, but are much more noticeable on smaller boats.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I bolted mine on. Got it a tiny bit crooked much to my displeasure, but it doesn't seem to matter.

My 15' Zodiac was about worthless until I put mine on, I was VERY reluctant to drill holes but I'm glad I did.

What up you runnin on the zod? I run an old 40 Zuni on mine with no foil, it does good.

8.5"s from centerline. So you'll need 18-19"s from centerline to centerline.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    What up you runnin on the zod? I run an old 40 Zuni on mine with no foil, it does good.
    I rune a new 20HP Yamaha 4 stroke, before it would cavitate bad so I couldnt even get it to 10MPH now I can cruise at 20-25 MPH with 2 people and 2 big dogs and all my gear. And it sips the gas.

I have them on mine and there is plenty of room. I have the SE Sport 300. They do help a bit, but are much more noticeable on smaller boats.
    Pete,

I am curious what benefit the SE Sport 300 provide on your size boat hull with trim tabs insalled? What are the negatives for your boat?

Thanks,

Doug

Hey Doug. I had them on my hewescraft and they helped prevent porpoising and the boat came up on step a bit easier. The boat also responded more aggressively when adjusting the tilt and trim. I figured I would give them a shot on my current setup. Not a noticeable difference either way. Extending the bottom back under the extended transom was best, most noticeable modification that I did to the boat.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast