Thread: Chitina to McCarthy Trip

Default Chitina to McCarthy Trip

Wife and I are thinking of traveling from Chitina to McCarthy by S x S this summer. Any tips or suggestions for this trip. We have never made this trip so any advice would be helpful. thanks

jb

Be prepared to be covered in dust. Plenty of traffic in the summer months. How do you plan to get the rig over to McCarthy once at the river?

I didn't think the bridge was wide enough for a s x s, is that not the case? We had heard you can park at the bridge and take a bus to the mine. Don't mind eating some dirt.... planning on head gear with goggles and masks for the trip.

Just making sure you know it won't fit on the public bridge. Take bikes with you if you don't want to do the bus thing. Any time for side trips?

I am not an atv guy so this comment may not make sense as I am not familiar with the puncture resistance of atv tires. I have driven to McCarthy 12 times in the past 15 years. 9 of those trips I had no tire problems. One of those trips I had a single flat. The remaining two trips, I had 3 flats each time! Mind you, all these trips were made with 10 ply tires in new or relatively new condition. My advice would be to take multiple spares.

i do gotta say that I really like McCarthy and that part of Alaska in general. You are gonna enjoy the trip. If you are planning on staying in one of the hotels and like a unique experience, I very much recommend ma Johnson's hotel in McCarthy rather than the kennicott lodge up by the mine.

We did this trip last summer over the 4th of July on our Can-Am Outlander Max while our friend & her daughter followed in her car. Riding an ATV is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned. You can pass the bigger slower moving truck/trailers if you want to. As far as dust we went at our own pace and was in the lead most of the time. If we did get behind someone we slowed down or stopped. I would say to be sure to take rain gear, we had sun then clouds on the way there and rain on the way back. I rode in the car with my friend and the ride was way rougher than the wheeler. Also tire plugs for just in case, we didn't have any flats but did see two vehicles that did.
    Once we got there we were allowed to take the wheeler across the foot bridge, it fit but your SxS won't. My husband remembers there being another bridge further down river, how you get there I don't know and I'm not sure who is allowed to use it. The locals there do have their own personal vehicles so that is probably the way they come and go.
    There is a parking lot right at the foot bridge where you can park and walk over then take the bus in, as I mentioned we were able to drive ourselves in and all the way into "town".
    It was an awesome trip and most definitely will do it again.

Pretty easy trip, you can do it in a 2 wheel drive car.

thanks to all for the info, I like the bike idea didn't think of that. I wonder about that other bridge if you can drive on it. Is there any fishing on the way ,besides the lakes that are close to chitina?

I did this trip a few years back on my four wheeler. Was a pretty nice ride but if your looking for anything technical or challenging this is not. It's pretty much just riding on a road but nice trip either way. It wasn't dusty when I rode it but it had rained earlier that day. I mainly wanted to ride there so we had a way to get around town in McCarthy, my four wheeler fit fine but a SxS would not fit.

The other bridge is private and gated. You can purchase a key but he prices it by the calendar year, whether you cross twice or 200 times during the year - same price. You probably don't want to pay the price for just a weekend trip. He does it that way so he doesn't have to decide who gets a key and who doesn't while still limiting the amount of traffic on the east side. There's just not that may places to park over there.

For info about Kennecott and the national park options, check www.nps.gov/wrst There are links to public use cabins, trails, concession operations, history, etc. Enjoy and drive safe!

thanks again, seems it will be a great trip in !!

Heres How we used to roll
    "f/64 and be there"

wonder in copper center do they have rv park and tent park ? and also do they have atv trail we are thinking about going there this july let us know thanks

I'm thinking about doing this trip in a few weeks. Has anyone done it recently? Where can a person park there vehicle while making this trip? Thanks

We took out 35' motor home towing a 27' enclosed trailer. Road was smooth after the first 5 miles. We parked at base camp right at the bridge. The guy was great (Jim I think was his name) took our one 4 Wheeler across the bridge as our Ranger 6x6 and rhino wouldn't fit. Had a great time for two days before heading back out. There is trails across the bridge of you go with wheelers that are suppose to be good exploring