Thread: What would you do in my shoes?

Default What would you do in my shoes?

So I got this friend. An acquaintance really. I don't know him really all that well. He is more of a friend of a friend. But, I swear that guy gets the same drawing tag year after year. I am confused. I have looked over the regs, and it seems to me that you are not allowed to possess the same tag in consecutive years. But I am almost 100% positive that this guy has gotten this same tag for at least the last three years. Anyhow, it shouldn't bother me, but I can't help but think, why or how is this guy getting this tag all the time? Should I call fish and game? I don't want to because I feel like a snitch or something. Even though we are really not that close or anything. In the back of my mind I keep thinking, if something is awry with the system I should point it out because other people are getting ripped off. But then I keep thinking. How would I feel if the tables were turned. What would you do? Should I call fish and game and ask them about it or just let it go?

Best to confirm info before taking any action. There are plenty of tags out there that allow a person to hunt the same area consecutive years but under different hunt numbers.

This particular tag is a weapons restricted hunt in a certain area. To the best of my knowledge it is the only hunt of its kind. And I am very certain that he has received this same hunt for the past three years because I have been putting in for the same hunt myself. Is there any way to look back over the past years drawing hunt results to verify?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    So I got this friend. An acquaintance really. I don't know him really all that well. He is more of a friend of a friend. But, I swear that guy gets the same drawing tag year after year. I am confused. I have looked over the regs, and it seems to me that you are not allowed to possess the same tag in consecutive years. But I am almost 100% positive that this guy has gotten this same tag for at least the last three years. Anyhow, it shouldn't bother me, but I can't help but think, why or how is this guy getting this tag all the time? Should I call fish and game? I don't want to because I feel like a snitch or something. Even though we are really not that close or anything. In the back of my mind I keep thinking, if something is awry with the system I should point it out because other people are getting ripped off. But then I keep thinking. How would I feel if the tables were turned. What would you do? Should I call fish and game and ask them about it or just let it go?
    It's possible to get a tag for the same species in the same area year after year as some areas have multiple hunt periods per season therefore different tags. For example, there are lots of areas in GMU 20 with three different moose permits that each have a 10 day hunt period.

Like Mod said, there are a lot of hunts that look the same, but are technically different hunts. Some have multiple different hunt numbers for the same species in the same location, just a different "season". Sometimes it will be a different classification of the same animal in the same location during the same season (antlerless, any bull, etc...). It is pretty easy to check on if you want to dig a little before calling ADF&G too. You can probably find past drawing winners lists if you want to compare with this year by doing a google search for something like "2012 alaska drawing hunt permit winner list", with variations of the year as needed.

You can indeed look up past years' results. If you do find that he has won the same tag in consecutive years, I would strongly suggest that you bring it to the attention of the appropriate people at ADF&G. It's not at all about turning the guy in, but rather about fixing a potential problem with the system. We're told that we can't win the same drawing permit in consecutive years, so if this has happened they need to know about it so that the problem can be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Like Mod said, there are a lot of hunts that look the same, but are technically different hunts. Some have multiple different hunt numbers for the same species in the same location, just a different "season". Sometimes it will be a different classification of the same animal in the same location during the same season (antlerless, any bull, etc...). It is pretty easy to check on if you want to dig a little before calling ADF&G too. You can probably find past drawing winners lists if you want to compare with this year by doing a google search for something like "2012 alaska drawing hunt permit winner list", with variations of the year as needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You can indeed look up past years' results. If you do find that he has won the same tag in consecutive years, I would strongly suggest that you bring it to the attention of the appropriate people at ADF&G. It's not at all about turning the guy in, but rather about fixing a potential problem with the system. We're told that we can't win the same drawing permit in consecutive years, so if this has happened they need to know about it so that the problem can be fixed.
    Do either of you have a link to last year's drawing results? I was able to successfully look up the 2011 results and he had the same tag in 2011 as this years, but I can not find last year's results. But I specifically recall seeing it last year.

Hmmmm...this is interesting. Unknowingly, a fellow co-worker put in for the same tag this year that he drew last year. He didn't draw the tag, but what we thought interesting was that his application went through, he drew other tags, and F&G didn't send him anything saying he couldn't put in for the other tag again.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Jack, I still have the results for 2012/13 on my computer. PM me. I can either send it to you (3.8 meg) or look it up for you.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    Jack, I still have the results for 2012/13 on my computer. PM me. I can either send it to you (3.8 meg) or look it up for you.

Chris
    Hey Chris,

I can find this years results and the results from 2 years ago, what I am trying to find is last years results. Thanks for trying though.

Hey Chris,

I can find this years results and the results from 2 years ago, what I am trying to find is last years results. Thanks for trying though.
    When he says 2012/13, he does mean last years results. The results for hunting in 2012 and spring of 2013. What just came out is the 2013/14 results.

Okay, I finally found last year's results. A fellow forum member emailed them to me. So apparently he didn't receive the permit last year. But he did receive two of the same permits two years ago that he received this year. Seems kind of suspicious but nothing illegal. So apparently it was my mistake. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Okay, I finally found last year's results. A fellow forum member emailed them to me. So apparently he didn't receive the permit last year. But he did receive two of the same permits two years ago that he received this year. Seems kind of suspicious but nothing illegal. So apparently it was my mistake. Thanks to everyone for the help.
    Whose mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by Truenorthed View Post
    Whose mistake?
    This looks pretty obvious to me...

So apparently it was my mistake.

Where in the regs does it say you can not be awarded the same tag year after year? I have looked and have not been able to find it.

It's right on the front page of the 'Drawing Permit Hunt Supplement' not sure that it's listed in the general hunt regulations.
    "If you recieved a drawing permit last year, you are ineligible to receive a drawing permit for the same hunt number this year."
    "Grin and Bear It"

Thanks TearBear, If it were a snake...

I know a guy that hunted DM770 think it was three years in a row with any an any bull tag.. he just entered his kids.. and to his credit, had his kid kill the moose.. good stuff.

I'm tired, and didn't read every post here.. seems another solution was already found.. anyway, lots of ways to skin a cat. And none of them does the cat like.