Thread: Public vs Private services

Default Public vs Private services

Should the State be buying equipment to maintain trails where private businesses already exist to do the same work. For example State Parks Northern region wants to buy a sweco dozer w/rec trails money for maintaining trails. I know that there are at least two businesses in the Fbks area that maintain trails.

Should we be taking gas tax dollars from the public and giving them to the State so the State can displace private enterprise?

Doesn't set right w/me

If you have a strong opinion please contact the folks listed on this page: http://notes4.state.ak.us/pn/pubnoti...a?OpenDocument

Default leave it to the govt....

If there is anything worse than the feds for screwed things up and blowing money out the a-hole it has to be the State of Alaska!

Let the people using the trail pay for the maintenance and then select who can do the best job for THEIR money.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbear View Post
    Should the State be buying equipment to maintain trails where private businesses already exist to do the same work. For example State Parks Northern region wants to buy a sweco dozer w/rec trails money for maintaining trails. I know that there are at least two businesses in the Fbks area that maintain trails.

Should we be taking gas tax dollars from the public and giving them to the State so the State can displace private enterprise?

Doesn't set right w/me
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I would tend to agree with you snowbear, as long as the private businesses have been submitting reasonable bids to do the work, the SOA should not be competing with them. On the other hand, if those businesses are bidding exorbitantly high because of lack of competition then I would say it is appropriate for SOA to compare the private bid against the cost to the state to buy the equipment, hire the staff, and do the work themselves. As inefficient as govt is it shouldn't be hard for a private business to underbid the states costs!