Thread: Thermometer

North Pole, Alaska

Default Thermometer

Hello everyone,
    I moved up here last summer, and so far I have really been enjoying my first winter in Fairbanks.
    I live a little ways outside of fairbanks, so I'm fairly certain that my temperatures are different than in Fairbanks.
    So I wanted to find a good outdoor thermometer that will work down to at least -60F, the one I currently have
    doesn't read anything below -40, and so far there have been quite a few days below -40. And that is why I once
    again find myself here, to ask the veteran Alaskans if they have any suggestions on where to find a good thermometer.

Beaver Creek

I got a couple at AIH that go to -60.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

I picked up this one to help monitor the crawl space and keep the pipes from freezing.

This is the main one I use for the house in and out temperatures. It goes down to -58.

I'm fairly certain I found both of them at Freddies but Amazon with the free shipping works too.

Two Rivers, AK

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    I picked up this one to help monitor the crawl space and keep the pipes from freezing.
    I have one just like that and so far it hasn't done much to stop the pipes from freezing but it's been pretty good about warning me that they could. But, it generally does not get below, say, 5F or so in the crawlspace unless something's gone really wrong so I'm not sure how well it would do at -50 or -60. The thermometers with a bimetal coil can get kind of unreliable (they'll be off by as much as 5-10 degrees) when the temperature's below -40 or so. Electronic ones will be more accurate but they don't always go below -40. You've got to shop around. If you want to spend more money you can go the weather station route. The Oregon Scientific weather stations are a reasonable price and while the quality isn't great and it can be a pain in the tail to get the sensors checking in, they do go below -40.

North Pole is consistently one of the coldest spots in the Fairbanks area. You may enjoy the weather map at, which has local and personal stations checking in as well so the coverage is pretty good.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time