Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gauge the need for a class

Default Gauge the need for a class

Good Morning
    Fellow Duck Heads,

Time for a great admission.

My duck calling would be best rated as Suckcity. Iím really crappy and have done all I can to help myself improve. Another cd/video isnít what I need. I need a teacher/mentor. Great teachers help students achieve imposable things, and I would like to improve (greatly) before next season.

At breakfast this morning, we were exploring the need for a class on duck calling. Not the one shot seminar type, but a real class with goals, expectations, and results. Iím not looking for a free deal, but something with structure. I would like to know the interest level. I can do the admin stuff, (collect fees, find classroom, record calling sequences, etc.) but need an instructor.

Iím wondering if we could fill a class? Please talk about it and let me know.

HaloHandler (aka worst duck caller ever)

I'm in if it works in my schedule. Can use my shop for a class room if needed but I bet Sportman's has a room to use? Oh, by the way. the omelet was excellent.
    Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
    Tundramoor Drahthaar Kennel. Training Versatile Dogs because we hunt it all.
    Memeber of the Alaska Warterfowl Association.

i would go could probably help some people out.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Yup and which call to use when would help.

I would do this schedule permitting as well.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Im in. Need to improve to
    Get people on the other side of the bank to stop laughing every time I blow in to the duck call.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Well, it sounds like we have some interest. Big Don said we could use his shop (thanks Don). Now all we need is a time. Thursday nights work best for me(it's the little woman's tv night). Maybe 6-7 for a few weeks????? let me know.

i am in bring a few beers
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

We could do it now in Don's shop, hopefully get a couple more "advanced" or "expert" callers and just do it amoung those of us here on the forum, OR we could do it on a larger scale, which I think would be even better. I'm sure we could get Steve and Outdoor Wharehouse to donate some space, it could be advertised a bit more then on the forum and turn something like this into a bigger deal then just a half doz guys getting together in somebodies shop to blow their calls. May be able to get a manufacture to attend, and I know we have some former guides that are expert callers that would add to the mix. I've seen many techniques for calling and I think the more "expeerts" we have the better, also think it would be better later in the year. Not talking about August, but sometime May-July. Just throwing out more ideas. Bud
    Wasilla

Bud,
    While I agree with you that more technieques may be taught from a greater number of experts explaining what works for them, when you go to big you loose the ability for the one on one teaching / interaction. If you have 40 people in a big room you can no longer get the individual attention & help you would get when you keep the class size smaller. Also just a thought but if you keep it small & private you can have a series of classes, say one a week for a month & see how people are progressing. I just see the SW as a one time thing. About ten yrs ago there was a program through the muni of Anchorage where they offered comminity classes at area grade schools. These were held for small fee per person $10 or so & where on a wide range of things from work out programs / sports to stain glass to trapping. They did a duck calling one & I believe there may have been two seesions with one instructor. I was thinking this would be more along those lines.
    Just a thought.

Bud has a good point with using Sportsman's for the classes. I am not opposed to using my shop in the winter months. Come soft water and the summer months and I am out. I am on the river or working so if it is put off til summer then Sportsman's is the way to go. Don

what might work out well is to let Don announce a date for a evening clinic at his shop, run it on the forum and the email list, tell people to bring their calls and go at it. those who believe they are good callers should speak up, but basicly have it for just our group.
    Then with this experience behind us, sometime this summer we could offer a more formal clinic asking those who we believe are good, do come and demo and talk about calling, along with maybe some reps from call makers. maybe have 2 of these, one in wasilla and one in anchorage and invite sportsmans to display calls and sell calls at the seminar also. this would be a seminar we could advertise a bit more and get non members to attend also, i'm sure it would be a hit for us. Bud
    Wasilla

Sounds like you've got a couple of good ideas. Keep us posted on what you decide and I will be there if its at a time I can make it.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I think we can all stand around and talk about it,,,, OR,,,, we can get moving. I live by the idea that it's better to fail doing something than to fail doing nothing. Not my gig but I am in as long as it's a winter time thing. Come summer I have to much on my plate. Don

March 14th, 7 pm is the Kick Off for the First Annual Haliohandler Duck Calling Classic: Adult Education Course. I know not everyone can be there but I think it's important to get started. PM or text me 907-227-4261 your name, email and phone number info if you wish to attend. This great event will be in my shop in Peters Creek for now. Hope anyone interested will attend or at least let me know your intent. Bring your calls and maybe a pad of paper and a pen and a chair. Dogs are always welcome in my world. Bring a leash. Don

Thanks Don, I'll see you there.
    HH

Got a couple guys on board. How about the rest of you fella's? It could be fun and it will be low pressure with me showing yo'all how not to blow a call........... Don

I would be in, but working nights for the next two weeks. Hopefully I can make the next one
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Text sent don...

I'll try to make it. PM sent.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast