Thread: Best boat for Lake Creek/Yetna

Default Best boat for Lake Creek/Yetna

What's going to be best bet working Lake Creek. I'm looking for a boat that draws the least amount of water and thinking maybe 100 HP outboard with jet drive. Should i be thinking a sled? Will be running up and down the Yetna doing quite a bit exploring. The guys on the Kenai love their Willie boats however it seems like a fellow in Palmer is making nice boats for the river. What do you think? Any advice where I might look for something used in pristine shape? Novice at work here

Quote Originally Posted by cplne View Post
    What's going to be best bet working Lake Creek. I'm looking for a boat that draws the least amount of water and thinking maybe 100 HP outboard with jet drive. Should i be thinking a sled? Will be running up and down the Yetna doing quite a bit exploring. The guys on the Kenai love their Willie boats however it seems like a fellow in Palmer is making nice boats for the river. What do you think? Any advice where I might look for something used in pristine shape? Novice at work here
    My preference would be an 18 or 20 ft, flat bottomed boat with a 115/80hp yamaha jet... although your probably going to get 40-eleven different suggestions. now if you really wanted to go economical, you could put a pair of 40 or 50 hp yamaha props on and learn the channels and how to read the waters and save a lot on gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    My preference would be an 18 or 20 ft, flat bottomed boat with a 115/80hp yamaha jet... although your probably going to get 40-eleven different suggestions. now if you really wanted to go economical, you could put a pair of 40 or 50 hp yamaha props on and learn the channels and how to read the waters and save a lot on gas.
    That is exactly what I would do sans the prop option, 4" (jet) of water vs 2' (prop) is a drastic difference. Also, the lighter the hull the better if you want to optimze economy and running skinny, not to mention the "relative" ease of recovering from any "unscheduled parking" events. A river sled with a good power/weight ratio serves up "peace of mind" IMO. BTW I would definitely go with a 20' hull over a 18'.

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    Thanks Guys
    Just what I am looking for. Everybody seems to favor the Yamaha Jet. Any suggestions on boat manufacture? Again many I have talked to likes the Willie but when I start adding options it gets pricy. Anybody familiar with Steve Lisenby boats. I'll stick with the Jet so I can get a little farther upstream
    Thanks Again
    Mark

Airplane guy, right? So you won't be running the river from the landing to the cabin twice every weekend? Your priorities should be different from guys who are usng boats for primary transportation. Something smaller and lighter will allow you to get into small places where the bigger boats can't go. I'd expect that'll be more important to you once you get the lay of the land. I'd suggest a wide bottom 18' with a Yamaha F40 jet (60hp powerhead). That's a very popular setup among guys in your situation. Including me. :-)

The hull you choose will dictate power needs. I used to have an 18' Wooldridge with a 200 jet. It was a great boat. Still is. I now have an 18' x 60" Lowe with a 60 powerhead jet. Works great. I also have a lighter 18' x 48" with a 25 powerhead jet. That's my favorite boat. Light and nimble. Really easy to handle if I venture where I shouldn't. It won't pack a great big load but I rarely need to do that. Everything's a compromise. Find the one that suits you.

Your good-I am an airplane guy so I actually have a boat that isn't a very good boat once on the water! This is my first boat and appreciate all the advice-I am a complete novice and want to be sure I get the right boat. Your are correct I will be leaving the boat there year round at the cabin.
    Thanks again for the advice

Talk to Gary at Greatland welding he make a very nice flatbottom can run very shallow and carry alot of weight he runs the 80 Yamaha I beleive
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

I second Gary's shop. He builds great River boats.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Does anybody know if there are boat restrictions on Lake Creek and surrounding rivers like there are on the Kenai. Boat length, max HP, river closures, things like that. I just got a 22í SeaArk Predator and donít want to end up with a fine. If so, who can I contact to get the rules for this. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-DAG View Post
    Does anybody know if there are boat restrictions on Lake Creek and surrounding rivers like there are on the Kenai. Boat length, max HP, river closures, things like that. I just got a 22í SeaArk Predator and donít want to end up with a fine. If so, who can I contact to get the rules for this. Thanks.

Your best bet is to check with ADFG or the wildlife police.....they pass out free books at walmart that will surely tell you what you need to know, especially HP restrictions on the Kenai since it is a popular fishery. I know ADFG has a list (mainly based on HP) of where you can and cant take a boat based on HP, and where specifically you can and can't run......check there tho

Quote Originally Posted by bmborum View Post
    Your best bet is to check with ADFG or the wildlife police.....they pass out free books at walmart that will surely tell you what you need to know, especially HP restrictions on the Kenai since it is a popular fishery. I know ADFG has a list (mainly based on HP) of where you can and cant take a boat based on HP, and where specifically you can and can't run......check there tho
    Oh I know I'm not aloud on the Keniabut I will look for that book. Do you know the name of that book. I think I've spent 2 hours looking though ADFG site and can't jack on boat restrictions. Thanks for the info. I'll keep looking. Have you ever fished that area before. Looking forward to a summer of fishing and hunting out there this year.

No restrictions on Big Su or Yetna or Deshka other than don't get stuck.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Thanks to all who responded. Went with a 20 ft Cobra with a 115/80 Yamaha Jet. At some point I probably buy a smaller unit to get further upstream.

Quote Originally Posted by cplne View Post
    Thanks to all who responded. Went with a 20 ft Cobra with a 115/80 Yamaha Jet. At some point I probably buy a smaller unit to get further upstream.
    You can't have too many boats if you live in AK...!

for my first boat i run an 1652 g3 with a 50-35. I run the kenai so i wanted to stick under that weight. the 1860 or 1756 g3 with the 60-40 would be my choice if i was not on the kenai. For my first boat i am amazed at what this thing will carry and run. Ive made it down to alexander and the deshka but yet to play around the yetna or lake creek. also got to run the ivishak last year and again this fall is the plan. I got to harvest a cow on the tanana last year and carry her out with another guy in the boat. My biggest fallback with my g3 is carrying a heavy load in deep water. if i can stay in that 3" to 2' range the boat will haul more than its fair share. I had 4 caribou and 2 guys and then some gear running down the ivishak into the sag and when i hit the sag and that deep water you definitely slow down
    NRA life Member JVJ

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-DAG
    there are some boat restrictions - http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/planning/m.../pdf/Ch3_4.pdf