Thread: canoe/catamaran with 2-19' freighters?

Thumbs up canoe/catamaran with 2-19' freighters?

ruffles' discussion about making specialized pontoon floats for a motorized canoe reminded me of a story my boss, JD, told me. A friend of his owned a lodge on the far side of a shallow lake. In order to haul building materials, stoves, generators, fuel, etc, he needed a very stable, shallow draft boat that could haul large unwieldy loads. His solution was to rig 2 19' Grumman freighters as a catamaran with a plywood deck between them. I imagine that the system was more detailed than that. But it apparently work quite well.

Has anyone here done this or seen this done? And wouldn't that make for a very stable craft? I'm guessing that a frame similar to a cataraft frame could be fabricated for the task using appropriate tubing and NRS connectors.

Any thoughts?

We've lashed boats together for visiting while floating on lobg canoe trips when I was a kid. I can't recall whether or not we freighted anything this way, though don't think that we did.

I think that in relatively calm water, it'd work well. And you'd theoretically have a craft that could haul over 2200 lbs. total gear weight..

I had thought about using the cross members of the outrigger pontoons as a sort of deck space for water-tight gear.

My friend who went from Valdez to Cordova and Eyak Island in a scanoe rigged with awkward outriggers on plywood, used part of his plywood cross-member for gear, as a foot rest, and as a cooking area.

For potentially wild and wicked open water, I think that I'd pefer the pontoons in a trimaran configuration, as opposed to two freighters, just in terms of the buoyancy of the pontoons vs. the canoe, should water start coming over the gunnels.

ruffle

Default Two Conoe"s

Yes it will work very niceley , good platform for the money spent yes there is better but a lot more money, on a shallow lake where the waves don't get big it will work for you , just leave space between them so the water will pass between them , an they will be good on gas when you put the motor on it, have fun on your porject.

We used to regularly lash two canoes together to haul loads down the Yukon. Works great; you just have to get the canoes far enough apart that if you are using an outboard the waves don't splash inside the hulls. Two or three crosspoles, and a small deck...it's pretty simple and sure is nice to be able to stand and even move around without fear of tipping over.

Default Catacanoe

Yeah, works like a charm.

It works great with two inflatable canoes too. Just make sure the two boats are the same size and hull shape. Nice thing about it is that you can put your payload below decks, making it very stable. Basically you end up with a cataraft with a huge capacity and a low profile (which is fantastic in headwinds).

You might find a discussion of the details in "an upcoming book".

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Yeah, I've done it with two Aire Lynx IKs. Makes for a fast 6' wide by 10' long cataraft. I put a plywood frame on it with oar stands and a seat in the middle. It is a great whitewater play boat, although you do get very wet. I've used it for a couple week long river trips with great success too. It's very comfortable and easy to enter/exit without any sides. Amazingly stable.