Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Kelty + Kifaru =

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,417

    Default Kelty + Kifaru =

    KeltyFaru


    I've had this Kelty 50th Anniversary Pack for 8+ years. Packed 7 rams out with it. Logged hundreds of miles sheep hunting, hiking, etc. I finally bent/broke the frame. A waist high drop on to hardpack dirt road with 150lbs bent it...oops... but is was after a 12 mile packout of the Brooks Range last year. oofta... trying to bend it back broke it... another oops...


    Kelty is warrantying the frame but they don't make em anymore so they are giving me a brand spanking new Red Cloud 110. Nice pack but not built for 100+lb loads. Kudos to Kelty.


    So, I'm gonna build a KeltyFaru! I ordered a Bikini frame today I will custom fit the Kelty 50th bag to it. The bag is made from Spectra Hardline Dyneema fabric and is real tough. 7200ci, 2 removable long exterior pockets and another "wet mesh" pouch/bag. Plus I like the color! The KeltyFaru should weigh about 5-6+ depending on configurations.


    From this...



    To This...



    My trusty ol Kelty 50th packing sheep.














    Last edited by Snyd; 04-15-2013 at 21:30.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  2. #2
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Sounds like a cool build.. Good Luck!!!
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  3. #3
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I've had this Kelty 50th Anniversary Pack for 8+ years. Packed 7 rams out with it. Logged hundreds of miles sheep hunting, hiking, etc. I finally bent/broke the frame. A waist high drop on to hardpack dirt road with 150lbs bent it...oops... but is was after a 12 mile packout of the Brooks Range last year. oofta... trying to bend it back broke it... another oops...




    From this...

    Snyd, I was thinking about this the other day. Since that frame is decent quality aluminium tubing, a skilled welder can weld it. Fit a smaller OD tube or rod inside the frame break and then weld over the gap. They could also slip a sleeve over the top, but between those tie in loops there is not enough room, so an splice piece inside the tube is best. You should be able to find the right sized and grade of tubing/rod at McMaster Carr and have it mailed up without having to buy a full stick.

    It might be worth it to fix the frame and keep it as a back up.

  4. #4
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    Snyd, I was thinking about this the other day. Since that frame is decent quality aluminium tubing, a skilled welder can weld it.
    I was thinking the same thing......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,417

    Default

    I thought about having it welded but decided to go a different route.

    The packbag already has a "pocket" so to speak since it slips over and hangs on the aluminum frame. All I have to do is sew it up horizontally where the crossmember of the bikini frame will slip in at the right height. Cut some holes for the stays and reinforce it. I've measured and figure and studied the Highcamp bag pics and had my hands on a Bikini frame and Highcamp bag when I was in Colorado last week. I stopped in at Kifaru.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  6. #6
    Member Vince's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time
    Posts
    8,989

    Default

    i spotted you and the missus in Seattle getting off, but my conection was moments from leaving and i had to turn and burn.. so i didnt hang around the gate to chat...
    Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I thought about having it welded but decided to go a different route.

    The packbag already has a "pocket" so to speak since it slips over and hangs on the aluminum frame. All I have to do is sew it up horizontally where the crossmember of the bikini frame will slip in at the right height. Cut some holes for the stays and reinforce it. I've measured and figure and studied the Highcamp bag pics and had my hands on a Bikini frame and Highcamp bag when I was in Colorado last week. I stopped in at Kifaru.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

    meet on face book here

  7. #7
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,750

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i spotted you and the missus in Seattle getting off,
    Right there in the middle of the airport...???!!!.......lol

    I know, I know, get my mind outta the gutter......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  8. #8
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Right there in the middle of the airport...???!!!.......lol

    I know, I know, get my mind outta the gutter......

    sssshhhhh...

    Vince, what day was that?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  9. #9
    Member fullkurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska/Idaho
    Posts
    2,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I was thinking the same thing......
    I'd worry about heat/metal fatigue with such light tubing carrying big loads...
    Proud to be an American!

  10. #10
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    I'd worry about heat/metal fatigue with such light tubing carrying big loads...
    The carrying part would be okay. It's the dropping it with 140lbs on hardpack that could do it in! I must say though, I've been dropping it on the ground loaded for a few years. With a "normal" heavy load for the backpacking world of 50-60lbs, no prob. But with sheep hunting loads well.... it did it in.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

  11. #11
    Member Ronster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Valdez
    Posts
    684

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Kelty is warrantying the frame but they don't make em anymore so they are giving me a brand spanking new Red Cloud 110. Nice pack but not built for 100+lb loads. Kudos to Kelty.
    Im looking at buying a new pack for a sheep hunt this year and I was considering the Kelty RC110 like the one Kelty is giving you. Just curious as to why you thing it wont hold up to 100 lbs? I looked at it this week over at sportsmans and it looked to be fairly well built, not like some of the other high $ packs, but enough to get through a couple seasons. I ask because I have a lot of things to buy this year and I dont have $700 to spend on a pack that I will use for 2-3 years up in the mountains. At 6590 in3 I figured it would be a good pack, am I wrong?

  12. #12
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,417

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Im looking at buying a new pack for a sheep hunt this year and I was considering the Kelty RC110 like the one Kelty is giving you. Just curious as to why you thing it wont hold up to 100 lbs? I looked at it this week over at sportsmans and it looked to be fairly well built, not like some of the other high $ packs, but enough to get through a couple seasons. I ask because I have a lot of things to buy this year and I dont have $700 to spend on a pack that I will use for 2-3 years up in the mountains. At 6590 in3 I figured it would be a good pack, am I wrong?
    It's just my opinion I guess. Maybe I'm more of the old school/external frame mindset. The Kelty 50th was a morph between the 2. But, guys use internal frame packs all the time like Roland in the pic above.

    I hear ya on gear purchases. It's easy to spend $7-1000 gear budget on one item but if a guy needs more stuff he needs to compromise somewhere. I was reading up on the RC 110 and I guess in 2012 they redid how the belt/bag/frame stays connect. Now the stays are solidly connected to the belt rather than just being in the bag. Made a big difference for weight transfer so they say. At 6500 cubes and under 6 lbs it's appealing.

    http://www.easternslopes.com/2012/02...assic-updated/

    On another note, Kelty shipped the pack a couple days ago. It's a new 2013 model. It'll be here next week. I'm going to put it up for sale for 200 bucks if your interested. I think S&W has them a 229?

    Oh, I had emailed Kelty and asked about the weight rating. Here's the response I got....


    Hi,

    Thank you for your email. We do not have any weight listings for our packs. Generally if you are not loading the outside of the internal pack and just using the inside space you would be find with larger weights. Out of interest what are you planning on carrying the in pack?

    Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance,
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •