Thread: shrimp opener and fishing ?

Default shrimp opener and fishing ?

Well since shrimp opener just keeps getting closer and closer I have started to wander if it would be worth trying to catch fish. I am new to the boating scene as last year was my first year boating, didnt get to do much since i had motor issues. Was wondering if water temp affects the bite any?

I've yet to make the shrimp opener (hoping to this year) but have fished early May which isn't that far past the opener.

The problem I had on that trip is I could not keep lingcod off my hook, caught six that day and they were all nice large lings, and they seemed to be not just on the rock piles but on the flats when I was after halibut.

Probably too early for good halibut fishing, but rock fishing should be good and expect to have to through back lingcod.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Normally in April we don't venture far from our pots but the only occasion that we did the Halibut fishing was good near the western entrance of PWS. In May we usually do our first dedicated Halibut trip in the sound and always limit...often times with at least one large fish. Fishing Lone Island and beyond is where I feel fishing starts to get good. If you are just interested in a few Rockfish they can be had about anywhere.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I agree that the fish are to be had early in the year further out. Forum member FISHFACE caught a 70lb, a 50 and a 40, I think, a few years back out off of Montague while it was still April with me, and only in less than 100 feet of water. Probably not the place you want to go in April with your combination of being new to boating and having motor problems.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

My friends an I have countless hours throwing jigs and soaking bait in the early season last season. We tried all areas/depths from Crafton Island up to Lone and many points west and didn't catch squat. While I'm not well seasoned in PWS we normally do catch our fair share of fish later in the season. I vowed to not waste anyone's time this year and wait until more productive times. I do believe water temperature has a lot to do with the bite as cooler water keeps many of the fish farther out until it begins to warm up. I monitored water temps closely and will attempt to research and report back what we witnessed. The first areas we had success in were south of Crafton kind of in line with Eshamy Bay and points farther south. If I recall the temp during last year's opener was well in the lowest 40's. A few weeks later temps were mid 40's and then by the end of May and first part of June we saw high 40's [this seemed to be when the bite finally came on] until Mid June when we hit the low 50's. Who knows for sure but hopefully this year [with far less snow until now] maybe things will start to warm up sooner. Good Luck ~ see you out there.

Quote Originally Posted by AKluvr95 View Post
    My friends an I have countless hours throwing jigs and soaking bait in the early season last season. We tried all areas/depths from Crafton Island up to Lone and many points west and didn't catch squat. While I'm not well seasoned in PWS we normally do catch our fair share of fish later in the season. I vowed to not waste anyone's time this year and wait until more productive times. I do believe water temperature has a lot to do with the bite as cooler water keeps many of the fish farther out until it begins to warm up. I monitored water temps closely and will attempt to research and report back what we witnessed. The first areas we had success in were south of Crafton kind of in line with Eshamy Bay and points farther south. If I recall the temp during last year's opener was well in the lowest 40's. A few weeks later temps were mid 40's and then by the end of May and first part of June we saw high 40's [this seemed to be when the bite finally came on] until Mid June when we hit the low 50's. Who knows for sure but hopefully this year [with far less snow until now] maybe things will start to warm up sooner. Good Luck ~ see you out there.
    Temps do play a major role and until the Herring or Sandlances get moving it can be very spotty. Basically in the sound it is a matter of finding an ambush point for Halibut...not necessarily on the flats during the cold water times.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I will be out for opener also if the weather is good. Last season was our first year out there we never went out out past Decision point We went out at the end of April caught lots of shrimp and the rock fish we caught were close to the harbor. I have all new electronics this season so we will be checking out more places.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    I agree that the fish are to be had early in the year further out. Forum member FISHFACE caught a 70lb, a 50 and a 40, I think, a few years back out off of Montague while it was still April with me, and only in less than 100 feet of water. Probably not the place you want to go in April with your combination of being new to boating and having motor problems.
    i do agree april is probably not the time for me to be out that far. Im still trying to learn and i know it will take time. I got a new motor put in this december so shrimp opener is going to be my break in time, i cant wait.

I had always heard that water temp does play a role in fish bite, i remember last year we where out in pws and where marking lots of fish (mainly rockfish) and nothing was biting. Thanks for all the replies and happy fishing

sorry my budy was logged in and i didnt notice it on the above reply

Ambush points are going to be one of my focus items this season. We started to discuss this topic in some of the earlier threads on my PWS Halibut Tides posts.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ut-Tides/page2
    Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Temps do play a major role and until the Herring or Sandlances get moving it can be very spotty. Basically in the sound it is a matter of finding an ambush point for Halibut...not necessarily on the flats during the cold water times.

I'll be out there... I might through a line to get wet. This also will be my dog's first trip on my boat...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK