Thread: You ever tickle a trout before???

Default You ever tickle a trout before???

I just found an article on Hypnotizing a chicken & it seems that you can "tickle a trout" by rubbing your fingers on it's underbelly...WEIRD!!!

Default Salmon solace...

I did it at Resurrection Creek in Hope. I laid on the edge of a cut-bank and just rolled up my sleeve and lowered my entire arm in the water. Before long some pinks came by and I petted their unbellies. One of the hens spewed some eggs and the moment I saw that happen, I quit doing it.

This was in the late 80's and there was no one around except myself and my fishing buddy. He got similar results just upstream.

Talk about becoming one with the fish, this beat it all...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

I have never seen it myself, but i have heard that trout will swim up behind salmon during spawning season and rub against the salmon's belly. They obviously do this to collect the egss that come out. Pretty interesting I think.

My brother said he had a trout with one eye hanging around one of his work sites with fish and game and he decided to test this theory. He said it worked as long as the fish did not see him. So there may be some truth to it

Mark

I've never tickled trout, but I sure have hypnotized chickens. I would lay them out at butchering time, hypnotize them with my finger in the snow, and they'd lay there nice and still while I aimed with the ax...........

Done it with turkey's, too.

Never hypnotized them, but I always turn them upside down when taking the hook out as it stops them from flopping and squirming most every time. Try it if you haven't.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull View Post
    Never hypnotized them, but I always turn them upside down when taking the hook out as it stops them from flopping and squirming most every time. Try it if you haven't.
    Actually that is one of the ways to induce a hypnotic state in fish Raingull, that's why they quit flopping. Never tried the tickle trick but I have caught salmon with my hands. And the only good thing about a chicken is that you can amaze your friends by hypnotizing them.

Just like Rick I've seen other fish being tickled. If you have a big halibut on your hands and for some reason can't or won't kill it you can tickle it's belly and it will chill out!

i call BS on all this tickling nonsense.... althogh i have heard of trout rubbing the underbelly of a salmon to enduce the laying of eggs. that small part of the conversation may be true, but turning a fish upside down simply doesn't work; unless of course it's almost dead already from a long hard fight. Try turning a lively salmon upside down and see what happens.... it remains lively and flops all over the place (they're not sheep)! tickle a halibut??? c'mon man, seriously. you can tickle a 250 lb halibut all you want and all it's gonna do is break your leg with a couple tail thrusts. but if you're ever gonna try it - let me get my video camera first cause i want to get that hilarious scene on film. oh, and by the way -the only reason you're able to approach a salmon or trout and tickle its underbelly is because the salmon or trout is too tired to swim away (i.e. SPAWNING salmon and ONE EYED trout). I may be the only one to write about my disagreement to this thread, but i can imagine i'm not the first ODD onlooker that's rolling my eyes at some of this stuff... sorry guys, i just couldn't bring myself to let it go on any longer.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Default Been there/Done that...

If I read what I wrote, I wouldn't believe it either. All I can relate to you is the title of this post.

On the other hand, if I threaded the story about polar bears being pink and fishing the streams with their long tails, than by all rights you've got me...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Oh it works...

This isn't to start any Gooch is a heathen comments but growing up pretty poor in Northern Michigan we used to tickle trout all the time. My dad, who had a pack of kids to feed, used to catch steelhead this way all the time. When out getting suckers by grabbing them in creeks we would happen upon steelhead. In order to get a steelhead (which were spooky) you would start tickling at the tail and up the belly and gills. The fish would always just lean into your hand and you could slowly pick it out of the water once you hit the gills. Worked like a charm and they sure tasted better than suckers. No need to do this anymore as we're in a different place financially but it works.

Gooch

250 pounder you tickle. Believe me or not Ripley. See in some fisherys you can't kill or hurt a halibut. The little ones you just pick up and throw back on a trawler. The big one you can't just pick up or like you said you might get hurt. So what you do is tickle them. (or drag them to the nearest scupper) Not like I did it every day, but I've done it a lot. They curl up kinda and just relax. You can also put your hand over it's eyes, kinda like a horse, and they will relax too. Then you can deal with them w/o the butt going nuts. So there you have it! Unless you've been on a dragger doing flatfish and have dealt with ohhhh maybe thousands of Halibuts on a commercial dragger how would you know what I've done with them?

Turning them upside down works.

I have only ever tried it with trout (many trout). It must disorient them. If you are too skeptical to try something easy with a trout then you don't have to. Everyone else try it, what do you have to lose?

Raingull again thats one of the ways to induce a hypnotic state in fish, works like a charm.

Gooch let me guess near the pipe line on the rifle river? We used to fill a cooler in less than an hour with suckers for the smoker catching them by hand.

but turning a fish upside down simply doesn't work; unless of course it's almost dead already from a long hard fight. Try turning a lively salmon upside down and see what happens.... it remains lively and flops all over the place (they're not sheep)
    No sweat, I was just responding to the above quote from markw3