Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 270 wsm loads

Default 270 wsm loads

Recently came across a screamin deal i couldnt pass up on a rem 700 xcr
    270wsm. 1:10twist. 24" barrell. Im a barnes fan so i was lookin at the 130/140tsx. I also saw that
    Barnes has the LRX in 129gr for .277 that looks promising with its high bc. Heard wsm's like rl 17..? Any
    Loads ..powders..etc appreciated. Thank you

Here is one for you. This was a Remington 700 TI.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Here is one for you. This was a Remington 700 TI.

Hey stid..the attachment is jusy a square with a ? in it. Thank ya sir

It is a photobucket pic, may be blocked by your server.

Reloader 22, 64.5 grains
    Barnes TSX 140 grain Boat-tail
    CCI 250 primer
    Velocity 3189 fps
    3 shot group .3 of an inch
    COAL 2.740
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    It is a photobucket pic, may be blocked by your server.

Reloader 22, 64.5 grains
    Barnes TSX 140 grain Boat-tail
    CCI 250 primer
    Velocity 3189 fps
    3 shot group .3 of an inch
    COAL
    I appreciate it!

I have a push feed Mod. 70 in 270 WSM, and have found a good load with 140 gr Hornady BTSP Interlock over 72 grains of Accurate MagPro. Consistently under 3/4" for 5 shots at 100 yds.

Well after hrs of research, i think im gonna start with 130 tsx's, and have narrowed down the poweder to 22/17/magpro. Now all i gotta do is let it warm up a llil and start shootin and see what she likes.

I have a new xbolt in the same. I have RL17, 19, 22, 15, and some mag pro.

I am hoping to fireform some new brass with some old sierras and speers that I have in stock, but I also want to work up a better load with TTSX's - I bought a hundred of them so I just need to get some time to get working on the bench. I am hoping that she'll be a shooter, have had pretty good luck with my other japanese rifles.......

I have heard good things with both the RL and the magpro.

How you going to break her in? I am thinking medium loads with the sierras - 3 shots and a wipe, 3 shots and a wipe.

I will use the old bullets for offhand practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I have a new xbolt in the same. I have RL17, 19, 22, 15, and some mag pro.

I am hoping to fireform some new brass with some old sierras and speers that I have in stock, but I also want to work up a better load with TTSX's - I bought a hundred of them so I just need to get some time to get working on the bench. I am hoping that she'll be a shooter, have had pretty good luck with my other japanese rifles.......

I have heard good things with both the RL and the magpro.

How you going to break her in? I am thinking medium loads with the sierras - 3 shots and a wipe, 3 shots and a wipe.

I will use the old bullets for offhand practice.
    i was gonna shoot oh mayb half box of factory to get it on paper at 100. Yea a quick clean and then start usin handloads to fine tune.

Anyone loading 110 TTSX's in their 270WSM's? I'm going to handload this combination for/with a friend for spring black bear. (He's seen what my 257WBY does to black bears with 100grn TSX's). BTW, nice load development and shooting Stid.

RL-22 66.5gr
    140gr TSX BT
    Federal 215 primer
    Shoots 1/2" groups pretty easy and some smaller as long as I do my part. Couldn't tell ya what the COAL is at the moment I'm not at home but found if I seated them slightly deeper they were a little more accurate. I've never chronographed em so I couldn't tell you what velocity they are running at but I should some day. This load shows 2 grains over max in Barnes reloading manual but before they came out with the reloading manual I wrote to Barnes for load recommendations and this was one of the loads they sent me. I was a little surpised when I bought the manual later when it came out and seen they showed a 64.5 grain max with RL-22 but I've had no issues. I've experimented with lighter loads with this bullet as well as other bullets and powders but I consistantly come back to this load as it has given me the most accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Scar View Post
    RL-22 66.5gr
    140gr TSX BT
    Federal 215 primer
    Shoots 1/2" groups pretty easy and some smaller as long as I do my part. Couldn't tell ya what the COAL is at the moment I'm not at home but found if I seated them slightly deeper they were a little more accurate. I've never chronographed em so I couldn't tell you what velocity they are running at but I should some day. This load shows 2 grains over max in Barnes reloading manual but before they came out with the reloading manual I wrote to Barnes for load recommendations and this was one of the loads they sent me. I was a little surpised when I bought the manual later when it came out and seen they showed a 64.5 grain max with RL-22 but I've had no issues. I've experimented with lighter loads with this bullet as well as other bullets and powders but I consistantly come back to this load as it has given me the most accuracy.
    I really wanna try to get the 130's to group..as they have a lil better bc than the 140's. But by no means am i scared to try the 140's if they shoot well. Im sure you are over 3200fps..dependin on barrell length

Quote Originally Posted by hunt/trapak88 View Post
    I really wanna try to get the 130's to group..as they have a lil better bc than the 140's. But by no means am i scared to try the 140's if they shoot well. Im sure you are over 3200fps..dependin on barrell length
    The BC is actually a little higher in the 140gr TSX (.404) compared to the 130gr TSX (.374). You loading the TSX or the TTSX?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The BC is actually a little higher in the 140gr TSX (.404) compared to the 130gr TSX (.374). You loading the TSX or the TTSX?
    I dont have a book infront of me but i do believe in .277 the 130 tsx actually has the edge on the 140 in bc. And unlike most others the tsx has a higher bc than the ttsx. Im wantin to experiment with the tsx. I belive 130 is .431 and 140 is .404. That is for tsx

I believe the .404 is the bc for the 130 ttsx

I should be going over 3200fps rifles a Sako Finnlight with a 24" barrel. I might chronograph some loads when I get home.

I am working up load development right now. When cycling my rounds, I see that my bolt release button is not sticking up on my Xbolt - I will compare it to my .338xbolt...hmmm. It's never been shot.

I have a box of old nosler soft point bullets in 150gr (price tag on the box says $4.75. I only have 50 of them, but I am using half of them to work up one load. I am using Magpro and R19. 3 loads of each 3 shots each load. 18 rounds.

I am also loading Barnes TTSX in 130 gr. I am putting them on top of Magpro and R19. 4 loads, 3 shots each load. 24 rounds.

Also have 130gr Hornady Interbonds. Same gig - Magpro and R19, 4 loads each powder, 3 shots each load. 24 rounds.

Last but not least, I thought I would try a couple H4831 - just in case. 6 rounds.

I just read that Barnes likes to be .050" off the lands - so I have to go seat all of the barnes down a little bit (due to the copper bullet creating higher pressures if it is tight to the lands - it sounds like it wants a head start. The others will be within a couple thousandths of the lands.

I'll chrono all shots and get back with you on which ones work/don't work in this Xbolt. I am going to shoot them off of a lead sled....that is a lot of boolitz! I'll list all the data I can when I post up. Using non-fire formed new winchester brass. Federal 215M primers. Cases all trimmed to 2.0915. Weight sorted (the wins were actually pretty good - within 4 grains in 100 cases). OAL varies with bullet. Even in some of the same OAL's I had to adjust dies to get the land setting I was looking for (diff in Ogive shape/location).

Time to go smoke some powder!

Well - I compared the .270 to the .338 and the brand new xbolt is missing the tab that pushes up the release button.........maybe I won't be burning any powder today.

Got it back and got the loads worked up and emptied out. It eats the ancient noslers the best, but not great - .832 was my best 3 shot group. I guess that I will try some other powder when I run into some - and maybe play with the OAL. The noslers were 2.879 OAL - set to the lands the OAL was 2.9725 in my rifle.

I hear that the barnes like a .050" or better jump - anyone seen this to verify? Seems like steve was shooting 2.740 OAL - maybe I should back the barnes off a bit. They hit the lands at 2.859" OAL, and I set them to 2.810" for the final loads.

I just chrony'd some loads last week in my win mod 70 fwt 60 grain re17 using 130 grain tsx's gave me very consistant 3250 fps with great accurracy. I have orderd some of the new 129 lrx's because you get a bc boost from .373 to.463 and want to see how they perform.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast